Find
Notify
Tools

Quick Reload
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Shukaree
posted
I have been trolling the web for video of a quick reload while using a double rifle, without sucess, can somebody point me in the right direction?

Specifically the style where the cartridges are held between the fingers of the hand supporting the forend.

A little snippet of it in the movie 'Out of Africa'

To hunt, fish and tell only the truth.

Posts: 135 | Location: Brisbane Australia | Registered: 25 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone here 4-6 months ago posted a video of him shooting-tilting/reloading his Krieghoff 470. looked like he had it down pat....don't remember who it was.

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Supercracker
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...0101804/m/3631094961

Posts: 65 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 27 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Not between the fingers but six shots 500/450

https://picasaweb.google.com/r...#5521024113371535442

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
4 bore at charging buf..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you guys really want to learn how to run a double fast there is much to be garnered from the cowboy action shooters crowd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...GzF90&feature=relmfu

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:

That was my video I posted a few weeks ago. As far as the "style" of holding the extra 2 rounds between the fingers, yeah, I can do it and I guess it looks cool and all, but in actual hunting situations, I haven't found it to be necessary. That's the reason I reloaded from the belt in the video.

I've found that I can shoot the first two shots better without the forehand being compromised as a starter. After all, placing the first shot correctly is most important IMO. Subsequent shots are not likely to improve from the perspective of the animals positioning (ie running away) or the shooters performance (ie subsequent shots are more rushed).

Maybe in the old days of Ivory hunting where one man with one weapon amongst a herd of Jumbo's! But my experience has been that the PH's gun will likely provide the cover needed to get your gun reloaded in a timely manner from the belt, (there are always exceptions).

In that video, I got off 4 rounds in 8 seconds with extractors and a heavy recoiling weapon. Holding the 2 extra shells between the fingers, if I didn't mess it up, (which is highly likely in a non-controlled environment such as while being charged or even in the excitement of the other 99.99% of DG hunts), would have maybe bought me an extra second or so.

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
There is only one way. Put on the clothes and kit you will be hunting with and practice. I use snap caps and practice several times a week. Pick out a target and try to keep focused on it while you reload and dry fire. When you can do the "dry run" as muscle memory; go try it on the range with live ammo.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
There is only one way. Put on the clothes and kit you will be hunting with and practice. I use snap caps and practice several times a week. Pick out a target and try to keep focused on it while you reload and dry fire. When you can do the "dry run" as muscle memory; go try it on the range with live ammo.

tu2

The post quoted above is very true to “SET” the muscle memory in place so you don’t have to think about every move in a tight situation. It also perfects the physical moves needed for an uneventful re-load. To a point!

However this will not do the whole thing without the range time, for a quick re-load when actually firing a big bore double rifle, recovering from the recoil and re-loading a double rifle when it REALLY COUNTS! That part needs to be practiced with, as Ranger says , being dressed the way you are while hunting, but actually firing full house loads on targets, preferably moving targets.

The fastest re-load in the world will do you no good if you miss the target! A target that gets smaller as the animal closes on you, to be effective enough to STOP the charge.
.......................................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shukaree
posted Hide Post
Many Thanks Gentlemen.

To hunt, fish and tell only the truth.

Posts: 135 | Location: Brisbane Australia | Registered: 25 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Someone here 4-6 months ago posted a video of him shooting-tilting/reloading his Krieghoff 470. looked like he had it down pat....don't remember who it was.

Biebs,

470 Nitro, Krieghoff, You left out the part about the good looking shooter.

Good seeing you in Dallas.

http://s135.photobucket.com/al...70Nitro200-09-19.mp4

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

Biebs,

470 Nitro, Krieghoff, You left out the part about the good looking shooter.

Good seeing you in Dallas.

http://s135.photobucket.com/al...70Nitro200-09-19.mp4

Mike, sorry I missed you in Dallas. I kept getting side tracked especially Sunday when I brought the wife along. Are you planning on SCI in Vegas? If so, I'll look you up there.

Todd

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I will attend Friday and Saturday. Will spend some time at Martin Pieter's booth. Looking forward to seeing you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys, on the subject of quick reloads, I saw a post that mentioned using an elastic wrist band to hold two backup rounds. I assume that would be on the right wrist for a right hander.

I doubt it would make my .500 rifle lightning fast since it is a non-rebounding hammer gun with Jones underlever. Smiler but I think it might work for one of my slightly newer rifles.

I currently use the traditional belt with cartridge loops worn in front.

Any thoughts on the wrist band approach? Without having actually tried it yet, it sounds efficient. ????

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MACD:
Guys, on the subject of quick reloads, I saw a post that mentioned using an elastic wrist band to hold two backup rounds. I assume that would be on the right wrist for a right hander.

I doubt it would make my .500 rifle lightning fast since it is a non-rebounding hammer gun with Jones underlever. Smiler but I think it might work for one of my slightly newer rifles.

I currently use the traditional belt with cartridge loops worn in front.

Any thoughts on the wrist band approach? Without having actually tried it yet, it sounds efficient. ????

MACD , the hammer rifle with a Jones under lever is slow to start with. I see absolutely no reason to make it slower by loading from a belt ! The wristband two shot carrier for the right wrist is much faster than a belt slide, for any double rifle.
.............................. old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote