THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Would you pay $4300.00 for a 45-70 Double Rifle?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you pay $4300.00 for a 45-70 Double Rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I see that here in Canada they are available..Built by Pederosoli.
Does anyone know anything about these..decent or junk?

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't comment on 45-70's or double rifles, but in my experience owning a Pedersoli Mortimer target .54 caliber flintlock, Davide Pedersoli & Company does not make junk, which is also reflected in the price.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
No, not unless it was worth much more than that and I could turn an easy profit.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
4 years ago, this was an 1800-2500 rifle... the euro has gone up 50%, which makes it 3700 without change..

would *I* pay that for a heavy as hell hammergun? Nope

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the SIACE is a nicer finished rifle for the same amount of $$$.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one I bought from a person that listed it here on the site. I have found it to be very well made and accurate, altho I did not pay anywhere near that. I do see them listed for 2500 used to 3200 USD new on Dixie Gun Works site.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
the SIACE is a nicer finished rifle for the same amount of $$$.

Agreed!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My brother had an early Pedersoli Kodiak 45/70 double rifle.

Hammers and thick browned barrels.

It shot GREAT. It regulated very good with 45/70 loads from the Rem 405gr, all the factory 300 grainers, to stuff like Cor-Bon, Garrett, and my 45/70 reloads.
It shot very well.

The newer guns have slimmer blued bbls and are built a lot nicer.

It is also available in 9,3x74R and 8x57, or at least it used to be.

We contacted Pedersoli, and they stated that their double would take any load safe in the new Marlin 1895.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine has one. Bought it about 12 years ago i think for $1200 i think. Beautifull rifle!! It shoots great and can handle some pretty stiff 45/70 loads...400gr @ 2150fps if a remember right. Ya, it was heavy too! He hasn't had it out in a few years. I think he should sell it to me..LOL thumb

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For that kind of money just get a Siace.

There is no comparison. The Siace is far and away the better rifle.

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
I talked to bill today and i was wrong. 2050fps with a 400. Sorry, it's still a hoot to shoot. thumb

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
For that kind of money just get a Siace.

There is no comparison. The Siace is far and away the better rifle.

As to the SIACE-- I found the website-

http://www.siacearmi.com/double_rifles.htm

no mention of the USA importer(s)

Anyone know who it (they) is/are?

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
Or buy a Chapuis. I did. It is a "real" double with ejectors and it is probably lighter and I will bet you will have better resale.

I would buy a Perdesoli, in 45 70 it would be a real fun gun. I would use it to hunt bear with over bait. But not at that price.

JMHO

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have one of their first production guns [pedersoli] a fun gun in 45-70 well made and very accurate just a tad to heavy. paid $600 for it. you cant buy a rem. 700 for that now how times change.

posted Hide Post
Kebco and lbf on gunbroker are Siace importers/sellers. I bought my Siace from Larry at lbf. Beautiful rifle and a great shooter, but it is not $4,000, more like $7,000 and worth every penny. Bob N.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got one in 1990 from Mike Powasnick of Trail Guns Armory for $1,500, wood, canvas and leather case included. That was the wholesale price in Shotgun News at the time.

It is muzzle heavy, but accurate for a laser "regulated" double. Only problem is the chrome lined bores and chambers have short throats and undersized bore dimensions. That makes it difficult to use some of the heavy cast bullets. The CPC 460 grainer fits ok but not the Beartooth 425 and 525 grain Piledrivers. It crosses with 300 grainers but is spot on with 405s, either cast or jacketed.

Use a double rifle. It just feels better.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana_Dave:
I got one in 1990 from Mike Powasnick of Trail Guns Armory for $1,500, wood, canvas and leather case included. That was the wholesale price in Shotgun News at the time.

It is muzzle heavy, but accurate for a laser "regulated" double. Only problem is the chrome lined bores and chambers have short throats and undersized bore dimensions. That makes it difficult to use some of the heavy cast bullets. The CPC 460 grainer fits ok but not the Beartooth 425 and 525 grain Piledrivers. It crosses with 300 grainers but is spot on with 405s, either cast or jacketed.

Bwana Dave I have no 134 bought from Mike before they came off the line at pedersoli. Mine was $9oo and it took 8 months for delivery.

The article came out in Guns&ammo magazine stateing they would sell for the $900 price when available. I called Mike down at League City, and told him I wanted one. He stated that though only two had been made so far, one for himself, and one for the writer of the atricle. Mike said they already knew they wouldn't be able to sell the rifle for the stated $900 in the magazine, but if I'd get him a $100 deposite before the 1st of september (it was the 15Th of August) I could have it for the $900 plus shipping.

It is heavy, and muzzle heavy to boot, but that thing will put every shot from both barrels right on point of aim at 100 yds every time. I shoot very hot loads for my Ruger No1 in it and the cases simply fall out of the chambers when tilted up.

The rifle has now been rechambered for the 458RCBS wildcat cartridge made on a 2.75 length case useing a 400 gr bullet, and it still regulates perfectly. Lately I have been thinking of boreing out the barrels to .577, and chambering for 577Snider. This would be a fun gun, and would lighten up the barrel heavy balance. These rifles are very well made, and as strong as a bank vault, but the barrels were left too heavy all the way out to them muzzles.

These things would be a far better choice than a shotgun for mono-bocking, and sleeving in rifle barrels of several chamberings. It would be a perfect platform for the 16 bore rifle or any of the 500BPE rounds! One way to reduce the muzzle heavy condition is to mill the barrels down to octigon shape on top bottom and out side of each barrel, this would reduce the front weight a lot, and look good as well. But the best use of one of these rifles is boreing out to 577 snider, or sleeving in barrels of better profiled 450NE.

Gentlemen Pedersoli doesn't make junk, and this Kodiak double rifle is a replica of the 1878 Colt double rifle also chambered for the 45-70 milatary round of the day.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,

Mine is SN# 333, so yours is earlier than mine. It locks up very tight and is a strong rifle, albeit heavy. A practical hunting rifle.

Use a double rifle. It just feels better.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Chapuis in 9,3. Why pay basically the same money for a double that is not legal for DG anywhere?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
+1 on the Chapuis in 9,3. Why pay basically the same money for a double that is not legal for DG anywhere?

+2, i'd take the Chapuis and run!

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote