THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Is 450BPE usefull for hunting Moose?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is 450BPE usefull for hunting Moose?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Howe usefull is 450BPE in a double on moose, red deer and wildbore? Is there any factory ammo?

Thanks

Posts: 147 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 23 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
450NE would be a fine choice for the game you mention.

Regarding ammo, you will probably want to load your own. Most double rifles need and deserve it to get the best accuracy from them. Even a black powder rifle can be loaded with a nitro for black recipe that will make cleaning, etc far easier.

You will need to cast your chambers (probably) and for sure check the bore diameter. Some believe that a 450 BPE should only be shot with parer patched lead bullets. Some believe that gas checked lead bullets are just fine, other believe that jacketed bullets are dandy. Woodleigh makes jacketed bullets for the 450 BPE's. Lead gas checks will be found easily. Paper patching is something some guys enjoy, but not me.

JPK

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I think there was some mention by some of the other men from that corner of the world about the government hasd decided that black powder is too 'weak'. You'll need to load smokeless powder to legally use it.
But I think a 450 BPE would be a great round for moderate ranges.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
450 BPE has worked very well for me on deer and boar. I use flat nose heat treated lead bullets in my 1881 Alex Henry double and they whistle on through and may still be traveling. I could not get mine to regulate with black and so use Imr 4198 per the Ross Seyfried formula, quite accurate.

One caveat,bullet weight and hence BC for penatration on Moose. My gun is an early express and will only regulate with 270-310 grain bullet. Later 450 BPE were often regulated with bullets up to 450 grains and would penetrate better on game the size of Moose.

Happy hunting, the old guns are fun to hunt with.
Larry Rainwater

Posts: 378 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Ross said "It was the 30-06 of its day" .. which is high praise to me

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39696 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
a 450 3,25" is a 45-120 and i hear from people around here that you can take on both elephant and buffolo with a 45-70.........

seriously though, yes it is very usefull caliber depending on case lenght, do you have something special in mind, in my expirence the 3,25" is the most common and most use full.

best regards

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Peter,
it's CLOSE to the same, but not.
the 450 3.25, NE #1, has a larger and THINNER rim, as well as a thicker base, but about the same capacity.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39696 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
Sure beats a big stick.... dancing

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote