New
Find
Notify
Tools

Foam wads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking to purchase foam wads for my new double. Will someone direct me on where to buy please.
Thanks,
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank,
you can purchase Kynoch foam wads 1" long from Trader Keith's. They are kinda high. I cut my own for .458-.510 by using a sheet of 2" foam and cutting them with a chamfered 50BMG case.
I use a fiber disc over the powder...then the foam wad...than another fiber disc...then seat the slug.
ND Wink

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I just go to the local hardware store and get foam backer rod of a slightly larger size than the bullet. Then cut it so it's on the powder and slightly higher than the seated bullet length.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I used some Kynock ones today with good results.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
What caliber, Frank? I have some for 450/400.
Be glad to send you some.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use foam backer rod from Home Depot for my 450 NE. Works very well and is cheap and easy to
find. I cut many at one time and they are ready to load when I need them. You can cut different
lengths for different loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for the information.
Thank you Rusty for the offer.
I am needing these for my .470 and would like to try the Kynock. I have backer rod but it is either loose or too tight to my thinking. I have been using Kapok for the .450/400 and my 500 BPE but think it best to use the foam wads for the .470.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Frank:

I have used the Kynoch wads from Trader Keiths in my .470 with Reloder 15. However, I just found that IMR 4831 just works so much better. I would be glad to send you some to try if you like.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Frank:

I have used the Kynoch wads from Trader Keiths in my .470 with Reloder 15. However, I just found that IMR 4831 just works so much better. I would be glad to send you some to try if you like.

All I have ever used is the Kynoch wad and Rel 15. Always looking for a better way, other than not requiring a wad, what does the 4831 do for you?

Thanks.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
I hope you will excuse my obvious ignorance, but being fairly new to the .470 Nitro and double rifle crowd, but exactly why is a wad or plug required? My powder charges seem to take up the majority of the case and I can't see where they would lie flat enough for explosive ignition. I have put approx 700 rounds through my Blaser .470 with absolutely no signs of excessive pressure, my brass doesn't stretch much, the primers aren't flattened excessively.......
I have read Graeme Wright's book on the double rifles but it still hasn't registered in my brain cell. I am hoping to gain some insight from more experienced DR shooters and reloaders.
Thanks in advance
Rick

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBoutfishn:
quote:
Frank:

All I have ever used is the Kynoch wad and Rel 15. Always looking for a better way, other than not requiring a wad, what does the 4831 do for you?

Thanks.

Fills the case more than the RL15 so you don't need a wad.

Mac

Posts: 1731 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Have used the Kynoch wads from Trader Keith with great success in .470s, .500s and a .577. In most applications you can cut them in half and do just fine. That doubles the quantity and cuts the price in half.

Mike

Posts: 21392 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Guys, I understand why a wad is used, my questions was more to the point of maybe better groups with 4831? Less perceived recoil? Temperature sensitivity?

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The RL 15/ wad has the lesser perceived recoil, due to lesser powder charge. At least that is the case in my .470 NE and the recoil difference is particularly noticeable in my .500 NE. I might add that these RL 15 loads are pretty accurate to boot!

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
Gentlemen,
I hope you will excuse my obvious ignorance, but being fairly new to the .470 Nitro and double rifle crowd, but exactly why is a wad or plug required? My powder charges seem to take up the majority of the case and I can't see where they would lie flat enough for explosive ignition. I have put approx 700 rounds through my Blaser .470 with absolutely no signs of excessive pressure, my brass doesn't stretch much, the primers aren't flattened excessively.......
I have read Graeme Wright's book on the double rifles but it still hasn't registered in my brain cell. I am hoping to gain some insight from more experienced DR shooters and reloaders.
Thanks in advance
Rick

I generally use between 100 to 103grns of Australian AR2209 (sold under Hogden in the USA) with a 470 but with a wad you can reduce this load down to around 94grns for the same velocity and with less muzzle blast and recoil.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Second what Geronomo said.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,
I shall try that then. Don't necessarily mind the recoil, as it is less than my .458 Lott but with less powder and to attain the same velocity.....

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Frank:

Thanks.

My rifle shot better and velocity was more consistent with IMR4831.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I'm starting to get real good results with IMR 4831 and with less powder than with H. Speaking of wads, do you guys think I need a wad for about 85gr of RL-15? In my Sharps BPCR I use cut to size playing card wads and they seem to work perfectly. Or should I use the dacron filler stuff? thanks to all. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm starting to get real good results with IMR 4831 and with less powder than with H. Speaking of wads, do you guys think I need a wad for about 85gr of RL-15? In my Sharps BPCR I use cut to size playing card wads and they seem to work perfectly. Or should I use the dacron filler stuff? thanks to all. jorge

If you are referring to 85 gr. of RL 15 in a .470NE or a .450NE I think I would definately use a wad.

Geronimo

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
OK, the 64K dollar question, how much space between bullet and powder is ok before a wad is needed?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ANY, I like my powder to be tight against the primer in the big bores, especially straight cases.

Posts: 2833 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ANY, I like my powder to be tight against the primer in the big bores, especially straight cases.

tu2 +1
However, I find that I can get away with using half a wad (.5 inches long) in the .500NE.

Geronimo

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
OK, dumb question, doesn't the foam burn/melt onto the barrel..? [he says as he ducks his head avoiding tomatoes for asking stupid questions...]

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
OK, dumb question, doesn't the foam burn/melt onto the barrel..?

Not as bad as marshmallows. If you use the strawberry puff marshmallows you get a nice fruity aroma after a few shots but cleanup is a real chore.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Ah yes...I love the smell of strawberry and cordite in the morning...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the ongoing discussion and information. My new to me double has been regulated with 4831 but I did not ask if that was with wads or kapok.
I believe I have to start with those loads for myself but have never enjoyed stuffing the stuffing into the brass. I think I will do better with the wads. I tried again with the backer rod and It may work out OK once I get the length and cutting worked out.
I used R15 a lot with my 450/400 's and a little with my 450 but I never really spent enough time with the Cronograph to know that I was there as far as regulation goes. \
Frank

Cannot reallly say I like the idea of Marshmallows or burning foam but I do not recall ever smelling the foam burn stronger than the gunpowder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK, dumb question, doesn't the foam burn/melt onto the barrel..? [he says as he ducks his head avoiding tomatoes for asking stupid questions...]

The foam wads come out as a fine grit(per Graeme Wright). I have never noticed any residue other than powder residue after any loads shot with wads.

Geronimo

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Thanks Geronimo (and Graeme)

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I just ordered 1000 synthetic foam wads from Buffalo Arms in 45 caliber and .06" in length for 18 bucks. Seemed like an inexpensive way to experiment.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Frank:

Thanks.

Recoils more. Sometimes groups better. Only tryin will tell.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a 1/8 inch card wad under bullet when loading 106 grains of IMR 4831 in a 470. I use foam backer rod if using RL-15 or some other powder that does not almost fill case. In my 577 I use 28 gauge fiber wads. I have had pillow stuffing melt and leave residue in barrels. I hate dacron! A patch with acetone will clean out any plastic residue. Foam doesn't really melt and you can find pieces of it a few feet in front of barrels.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank - I play around with the foam until I get the measurement ( length ) I want with a specific load. Then I plan on slight compression of the wad but not much at all. I have shot hundreds of rounds and never saw anything resembling melted foam. My bores are as clean as with powder only. I have found that
my groups are generally better with foam than without as it seems to provide more consistancy.
Hope this helps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, now another dumb question. If I use a wad or filler, is that going to change the amount of powder I should use and how do I determine that? I have most US powders available and need to work up a new load for my .470 with a 500 Woodleigh, or a Barnes TSX, AAnything but a Hornady DGX.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, foam wad just fills space it ads almost no weight. If using a heavy wad yes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a southern boy I just pour a little grits on top of the powder but I hear cream of wheat works just as good.

When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom---Sitting Bull

.470 Chapuis double; 9.3x74R Mathelon triple; 30-06 Winchester O/U

Posts: 105 | Location: Rockville, MD USA | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Goshoot,

Stop using grits!!!!!!!!! Go read the results Michael and I had with fillers. Super high pressures with grits. Don't know why but watch out.

Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Martinez:
Thanks for the ongoing discussion and information. My new to me double has been regulated with 4831 but I did not ask if that was with wads or kapok..

Frank....no wads were used in the IMR 4831 loads that performed well. You will need them if you develop RL15 loads.

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bob. I never liked the idea of a filler even with the 450/400 3.25 and R-15 but I had to ask. I hope I won't have to change anything from what you had success with.
Frank

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clayman216:
I use foam backer rod from Home Depot for my 450 NE. Works very well and is cheap and easy to
find. I cut many at one time and they are ready to load when I need them. You can cut different
lengths for different loads.

Clayman: where exactly at Home Depot? went today and got the deer in the headights look from the attendant. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member