Notify
Tools

Another butchered DR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Mad

http://www.gunrunners.com/ViewItem.aspx?ID=1410&table=inventory

White line spacer, cheekrest, and a beavertail forend. Great.

Posts: 37 | Location: Sterling, AK | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Dude,
you really woke up more grumpy than me...

a recoil pad is $100, in and out, installed... so offer 17,400 Smiler

the cheekpiece and forearm are from the maker, impossible to "butcher" that way...

in fact, this rifle is a case of "saved from rubbish" as was sent back to woodward to be sleeved/fixed.

so, from where I sit, it's $100 from being an AS BUILT classic.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39691 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jeffesso, can you tell me how you know that it came from the factory that way? It definitely looks restocked to me, the wood is much newer than the gun. The wood to metal fit is well done and it may have been restocked by the maker but it wasn't made that way around 1900.

Posts: 37 | Location: Sterling, AK | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I too think it has been re-stocked, but maybe only the foreend, for someone who liked a Beavertail forestock. I think the butt stock is origenal, but if not, all was well done.

However, I have to agree with Jeffe, in that the resteration was well done, and saved the rifle from being just another beater! Since the rifle was sent back to the maker for the job is a plus! The foreend can be re-worked quite easily, and the whiteline can be illeminated as well. I think it is a nice rifle, but I would not pay $17,500 for it. For that money you can do better, with a chambering that is more "WORLD WIDE" so to speak! The cartridge that it was sleeved for was introduced in 1899, so the rifle was most likely made before then, if the new cartridge was an UP GRADE! Still, a very nice rifle! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suppose it is possible that such a horrible stock came from a fine English gunmaker, but not likely.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
DOUBLE Rifle W. WOODWARD AND SON " DOUBLE RIFLE" London ENGLAND, 375 Nitro Express, which is a 405 Win case necked down to a 375. Here complete sizing, trim dies, forming dies ect. With case. Rifle was back to Woodward years ago and perfectly, sleeved to this Cal. A nice Investment gun or user go shooting gun. Wood is excellent, 14" pull overall, under fore arm lever action, 22" barrels, bore are excellent, folding rear sight, cocking indicators, with top safety, and rear double side safety’s, One of the nicest small action double rifles you have ever seen with very fine full engraving, case colored action, blued barrels,

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39691 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I know that shop and drove by it today. It's a tiny hole in the wall place with some iron inside.
Amazing that they have such a large stock on the website.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Lovely rifle, despite the stock and the price.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:

Amazing that they have such a large stock on the website.

Probably don't have a lot of customers walking around the store bothering them. Smiler Big Grin

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what a great caliber ..... something proprietary designed for shooting charging chipmunks.

does anyone have documentation that woodward did the work on this ? i doubt it.

well, there is no accounting for taste, but like a lot of guys here at a sane price for an out of proof , unknown caliber ,rebarreled rifle we could find a place for it.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just think of it as an option (viability is your decision)to a 9,3x74R group buy Chapuis, AND a PH 470 or 500 NE 3" from Searcy. Perhaps that puts it in context.

Rich

it is nice looking, ya gotta say that.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's a whack job. This is a Woodward "Automatic", from the serial number built about 1890, so probably originally built as a BPE, unless it was a .303. The chance of Woodward having had anything to do with the sleeving is about nil. As for the stock, Woodward wouldn't have let anything out of the shop that looked like that. A best Woodward deserved better treatment than this piece got.

It's been sleeved to .375 2 1/2" Nitro Express, and yes, that's essentially a .405 Win necked to .375. The suggestion that this caliber is "unknown" is simply ignorant. It was a very popular caliber for a long time. One of Elmer Keith's favorite rifles was a Lancaster oval bore double in .375 2 1/2" NE. He made cases from .405 brass and was lavish in his praise for both rifle and cartridge.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The underlever Woodward sidelock action is one of the alltime greats.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote