New
Find
Notify
Tools

reloading 9.3 x 74
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What loads are you using for the 9.3 x 74R in a double rifle?
Thanks

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
55 grs IMR4064 with 286gr bullet (Woodleigh solids and softs) accurate in both a Valmet O/U and a Chapuis SxS. Norma cases Federal primers.
Poor case life from Norma brass. Better life from RWS and Sellier & Belloit. I really like the cartridge. Watch the brass closely especially Norma as I have found quite a few with thick rims. I think they must have been for 400/360 Westley Richards but were stamped as 9.3x74's. I loaded several before I realized they wouldn't chamber.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Zim,
How would you classify the recoil?

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Signifcant. To be perfectly honest in the Chapuis it was absolutely brutal, but it was a featherlight double. The 2 Valmet's had mercury supressors and heavier stocks and were pleasant to shoot. All 3 were 1 1/2" guns and regulation was not a problem. One Valmet regulated as from factory the other required some movement of center screw but not front. In other words the spread was vertical, but corrected easily. The Chapuis regulated as it came from factory. The Chapuis was the UGEX with 24"bbls and really was light. The quickest double I've ever had though. Never tried for any other loads.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 65 grains of IMR 4831 with 286 gr Woodleigh Softs and Solids, 286 Nosler Partitions, and 285 gr Hawk with the .035jkt. They all hit close enough together to 200 yards to use the same sight setting, in my Chapuis.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMR 4831
Imr 4064
What velocities are you getting with these loads? I have a Chapuis SxS on order and plan to shoot the Woodleigh 286 gr. solids.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I don't have a chrono so I just go with the book values. The 4064 load is a Barnes No.2 manual load and it says 2286fps and I have no argument with that. Shot good in all my guns. I basically just load out of the Manual. I rarely experiment and NEVER go over max and usually under in all cases. This happens to be a max load. I basically don't experiment with powders. This is Imr4064 cause there were no loads for IMR4350 which is the powder I use for almost everything I shoot.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe, could you give me a call at 800 435-5446? I would like to ask you some questions about your Chapuis. Thanks, Dev Moring

One of Us
posted Hide Post
N E 450 No 2, did you get this out of a manual or did you just work it up in your gun. I want to staqy below max because I plan to thoot the 9.3 a lot when I get it.
Have you taken any large game with your rifle?

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMR 4831 is listed in the Speer and the Nosler book. The velocity of my loads is between 2200 and 2300 fps, I will have to find my chrono info. I use 65 grains. I have shot my 9,3 between 3 and 4 thousand times.
gi,I do not want to let the cat out odf the bag, but I took some "very" large game on my March 2006 Safari with my 9,3x74R Chapuis with excellent results.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
That's the problem with reloading. What book do you use. Do you use one put out by the powder manufacturer,one put out by the bullet manufacturer or one put out by the loader comany. Or do you use one like A-squares or Ackley's. Then do you throw them all away when a new version comes out. You can even use Accurate Reloading data ( which is how I found this forum looking for data on 8x60RS double loads). Noslers 5th Edition (first one with 9.3 data) shows 64.5gr IMR4831 as max for 286gr, Barnes No.2 shows 62grs for 286gr, Speer No.13 shows 66grs for 270gr (note 270gr),Hornady 5th edition doesn't show 9.3,Hodgdon's No.27 doesn't show 9.3 The new Nosler book shows loads for IMR4350 with good velocities below max so if I were still loading for 9.3 I would probably go for that. I have only put about 1000rnds thru my 9.3's and NEVER have taken big game with one but would have NO hesitation using one on any thing in Africa with backup. Just my observations. I try to stay under book max. I figure if 100fps is going to be the difference between success and failure I'll probably never make it anyway.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
286 Norma bullet backed by H4831/68.0 (nb.: heavily compressed). This load groups together with the 286 Alaska factory for which my bbls. are regulated.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
zimbabwe
I check as many loading books and other sources as I can, then start low and work up.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
N E 450 No2 I was not speaking of 'YOU' specifically I was talking about how does one really approach reloading . Since I have no real feel for experimenting with loads I take the 'BOOK' value as gospel as far as Max loads are concerned. I would NEVER exceed that value MYSELF no matter what the 'signs' show. I have a few loads that are at or near Max because that's where the gun shoots well but most are below. If I figure a load will not get the job done if I do my part I up to a larger cartridge.I know this is probably over cautious and I know MAX changes from book to book but then I've been known to wear both a belt and suspenders.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Tony and all,
Are you using any filler in your loads?

We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I use dacron filler ONLY in reloading 470NE. None of the others I load for require it. Those are the 405Win,416Rigby.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
More than ten years ago my reload was:
RWS cases; RWS 5608 primer; RELOADER 15 # 53 to 55 gr; Speer 270 gr; O.A.L. 3.596"
Best concentration with Rel 15 # 55 gr.
Regards.
Hector

Posts: 328 | Location: San Martin de los Andes, Argentina | Registered: 01 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I prefer RL-15 in my 470's so I hope to find a load that will work in the 9.3 too. I hope to have the rifle soon so I can experiment!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not use filler in the 9,3x74R.

Zimbabwe like you I seldom excede Max loads listed.
Sometimes different loading books have different max loads listed. If that is the case I start low and work up very cautiously looking for pressure signs.

I am much more concerned with accuracy, barrel, and firearm life, and reliability than I am a few fps.

My standard load is 65 grains of IMR 4831
with Fed Mag Rifle primers [215], and Norma cases, with any of the following bullets 285 Hawk with the .025jkt, 286 Nosler Partition, 286gr Woodleigh Soft and Solid. All of these bullets hit close enough together to use the same sight setting to 200 yards.

I am going to try this same charge with the 270 Speer when I get the chance.

In my rifle the 270 Speer does shoot good with 59 gr of RL 15, at 2390fps.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the data here guys. Packy

One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Not from a double, but from a Shilen-barreled #1:

That's 3 at 100 yards in 0.75".

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote