New
Find
Notify
Tools

470 NE filler material
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am loading RX15 with dacron filler, the dacron drives me crazy while shooting. Has anyone tried the blue or pink styrofoam material that they put on the outside of houses.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started with Dacron, but found I like foam better. I have used 3 different kinds of foam in my 450 No2 double. One pretty firm and two others not so firm. Cannot tell any difference. Just be sure the foam is compressed between the bullet and the powder. I cut the foam out with a 50 BMG case sharpened with a chamfer tool.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I use Kynoch Nitro-Express Wads. Size 2 is made for the 470. They are about 1" long and weigh 1 grain.

Excellent results

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where did you get the Kynoch Wads

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get Kynoch foam wads from Connecticut Shotgun aka Galazans.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mark Baker
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

This is just my take on the foam thing.

A few years ago a friend (whom is well known in the double rifle scene) was searching for a replacement for dacron in reloading of nitro for black in the black powder express cases. He chose a foam type of wad.

We were shooting two very nice rifles in 450 BPE. One was a Purdey and the other a Alex Henry. No problems with anything and everything seemed ok. Later upon shooting the Purdey we noticed slightly hard extraction. Examining the rifles we saw "slightly ringed chambers"

Two nice rifles that got @&^%*% up. What I think is that the foam is compressing and acting as an obstruction of sort. Mind you, this is in BPE cases and the foam wad is quite large due to all the space, and lack of large amounts of powder.

Anyway, even in my nitro rifles, I'm sticking to dacron. It is kind or a pain to stuff that junk down the case but I don't want to wreck any of my rifles.

Just my two cents , for what it's worth.

Mark

Posts: 51 | Location: N.W. Wisconsin | Registered: 23 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Shot shell buffer is another great option. You can throw it from your powder dispenser and it will not compress.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What ever filler you use you want it to be compressed so the powder and the filler do not mix, or in the case of a "solid" filler [dacron or foam] the powder does not migrate past the filler.
All cases of chamber ringing I have found occured with small amounts of filler.
"Too much" is way better than not enough.
I have fired at least 3000 rounds All with filler in my 450 No2, dacron and foam with no problems.

That is all but two, both were a hang fire. Eeker

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a stupid question from someone who has never dealt with fillers in big bore SXS's - why can't you use something like tissue paper since what you're trying to do is simply keep the powder against the rear of the case, i.e., against the primer for proper ignition ? Does the filler have to be fireproof ? Thanks for enlightening me; once again, I've never dealt with rounds requiring a filler.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1583 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's the common misconception - and why so many have gotten in so much trouble with fillers. It isn't used to keep the powder up against the primer. It's used to maintain load density when a powder is used that doesn't fill up the case and must be dense enough to prevent migration. If you need to use a filler and don't fill up the case with it, you're begging for a chamber ring.

Ross Seyfried wrote that foam used in Nitro for Black loads had wrecked some doubles, but hasn't addressed the issue with respect to full nitros that I know of. At the same time, I've never felt the need to experiment when Dacron works so well. I've used it for years and have never noticed the "snow shower" some seem to complain about.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
400 Nitro Express ..... thanks for a very good response and explanation. What you describe makes total sense; and, why experiment when something works. Thanks, again.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1583 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was suggested to me by the now famous PH Andy Dawson,to use styrofoam BB's. These are used to fill Bean Bag chairs and some stuffed animals.It's available from www.beanbags.com. I have been using the BB size and for $20 I got a supply that will last two life times. They seem to be working very well with no residue. But also Andy told me his loads have a very long shelf life,which is also a concern when dealing with fillers.

If your parents didn't have any children chances are you won't either.

Posts: 468 | Location: Davie Florida | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Dave I would be extremely worried about powder migration with the styrofoam BB.

I would also like to point out that the Dacron Poly filler is not consumed in the firing, rather just spat out the bore. It looks unburnt, as if you could reuse it!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave
I too would be afraid of the "BB's"

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dangerous Dave:
It was suggested to me by the now famous PH Andy Dawson,to use styrofoam BB's. These are used to fill Bean Bag chairs and some stuffed animals.It's available from www.beanbags.com. I have been using the BB size and for $20 I got a supply that will last two life times. They seem to be working very well with no residue. But also Andy told me his loads have a very long shelf life,which is also a concern when dealing with fillers.

Dave I too would be reluctant to use the styrofoam BB's! The powder would most likely migrate often, but the thing that worries me most is the static electricity that accompanies these Styrofoam BBs, or in fact any styrofoam, causeing a set off while loading! Eeker I can't think of anything that holds more static electricity than styrofoam, of any kind, but especially the packing peanuts, or the bean bag BBs! I'll stick with Dacron pillow filler! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I had not considered the effects of static electricity. In regards to powder migration,I don't see how it could occur as the bb's are loaded to the top of the case and the bullet compresses the bb's against the powder charge. However the chance of an accidental discharge from the static is enough of a reason to curtail the practice. Besides: LEFTY just doesn't have the same ring to it as Dangerous Dave..

If your parents didn't have any children chances are you won't either.

Posts: 468 | Location: Davie Florida | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gi

If you have difficulty in getting Kynoch wads from Galazans just drop Kynamco a line by e-mail and ask them to send them air-mail to you by credit card order- they weigh next to nothing and consequently will cost little for shipping, also they have no shipping restrictions attached so can be sent air-mail

Posts: 342 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CFA
posted Hide Post
For my 500/465 I started with dacron filler and had a problem with expanion of the case while loading using 2 grains of filler, the loaded cases would not chamber. the dacron seemed to come up areound the base of the Woodleigh bullet and cause expansion. I switched to the Kynoch foam wads that David Little uses and have had good results.

CFA

*If you are not hunting in Africa you are planning to hunt in Africa*

Posts: 465 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CFA!

If you had so little space between the powder and bullet that 2 grns of Dacron had trouble fitting in the case you probably didn't need it at all. What powder were you using?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote