THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    no words.....mangled Jeffery. :(
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

no words.....mangled Jeffery. :(
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That has got to be the work of someone that is the direct product of at least 200 years of straight inbreeding!

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
You know it's funny, despite my love of English craftsmanship, I have seen more than a few "custom" mounts come out of England on auction rifles that were greater abominations than this.
One I recall in particular was grafted on to o very nice Mannlicher-Schoenauer wrecking an otherwise collectible piece.
Another was "applied" to an Evans.
Both were crude, yet sturdy mounts that worked effectively while destroying the weapons value.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Well, as they say..."there is nothing quite so permanent as a decent temporary repair". Given another century, that Ruger mount would probably hold up better than the remainder of the rifle.

rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know, the way I figure it, not all guns or women are unspoiled virgins with no miles or baggage, but that still leaves an awful lot of qualities to be admired, enjoyed , appreciated and utilized! Hopefully someone will get a good deal out of the despoiling....

DRSS

Posts: 707 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes the mount is not pretty but the major problem I see with this WR is the LOP which my 10 year old daughter could use and the rifle is two pounds too heavy, it's a pig, with scope your looking at a 10.5 pounds in a 333, that's the reason I would not give this rifle a second look.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
year old daughter could use and the rifle is two pounds too heavy, it's a pig, with scope your looking at a 10.5 pounds in a 333, that's the reason I would not give this rifle a second look.

I also wish the LOP were 14.5 with original butt-plate. I wonder if some of the weight comes from a recoil reducer perhaps installed when they installed the scope mount and recoil pad.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just weighed my Jeffery .333 grade 4. It comes in at 9# even, the same weight as my Evans .375. The Jeffery feels lighter because the weight is more evenly distributed between your hands.

There are more than a few reasons to avoid this rifle. Although described as "original finish" a close look at the photos reveals stock wood with missing bits, and considerably under the metal. The metal to metal fit is very poor because of indifferent re-polishing, and a re-color that doesn't even come close to what original colors should look like. I would want to examine the action very closely to determine if any distortion occured when colored. This is truly a "mangled Jeffery".
Best of luck, SXS

Posts: 29 | Location: Northeast USA | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there is a special place in Hell for people who do things like this...

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote