posted
Chapuis or Merkel what is your choice?

Also, I have been told not to get a Double in a
high pressure rd. such as a 375H&H.
Your Opinion Please

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
No real answer in this post, but get the gun that fits you better.

Instead of the .375 H&H, I would go with a .375 flanged.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
If you can handle examples of each you may find that you have a preference based on feel.

I would want a rimmed round myself. Either the 375 flanged magnum or you could go 9.3x74R, unless you need to meet a caliber restriction.

Sounds like a fun decision to make.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Merkel - harder steel

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The Chapuis' are well made, are super accurate, and finished well, however, IMO, they are too light for caliber, and I don't like a beaver-tail fore end on a double rifle. They cost more than the Merkel, and less than the Heym! I have a couple of Merkel double rifles, and They are tough as hell, and weigh in at, what I consider to be RIGHT for the chambering. The Merkels are accurate as well, and generally cost a couple thousand less than the Chapuis, and $5000 less that the Heym.

Given my pick, between the three brands, if all cost the same, my pick would be the Heym, but as I said I have a couple of Merkels, a 9.3X74R mod 140-E , and a 140-2 470NE Safari, and I bought both for the retail price of the 470NE Chapuis. I bought the 9.3 new, and the 470NE used in LIKE NEW condition. Both are tack drivers.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote