THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Questions: Doubles in Rimless Calibres
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions: Doubles in Rimless Calibres
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Questions:
How many of you have double rifles in rimless calibres?
What brand and calibre is your double?
How many rounds have you fired in your double?
Have you ever had any extraction/ejection problems?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have had a Winchester 30-06 O/U, fired probably 100 rnds NO malfunctions. Quite accurate. A Heym 375 H&H SxS, fired about 250 rds with zero malfunctions, outstanding accurracy with 260gr Noslers, adequate with 300gr Woodleighs.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
FN/Browning Continental .30-06 O/U. Stopped keeping my log at 1,100 rounds of rifle and 2,240 of 20 gauge. Still shooting extremely well, and never a problem with extraction/ejection. God I love the Pinging sound...

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marcel Thys sidelock in 458wm. About 400 rounds through it and perfect function. I tried to make it fail by letting the chambers and ejector works get dirty. No issues developed in over 200 rounds til I couldn't take it anymore and cleaned it well.

308Sako,

I love the "PING" also. My empties fly about fifteen feet if I miss time catching them. Sting my palm when I catch them. Love it.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1920s German double rifle (a guild gun) in .250-3000. It's an extractor gun, but I've never had a failure to extract over several hundred firings. As an aside, it ended up regulating with 115 grain bullets, even though marked as regulated with 87 grainers. Shoots better than I can.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington40x,

Your double rifle sounds really neat. And what a great caliber too. Could you post photos for a junkie?

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
Krieghoff Classic in .30-06 in my safe. Never any problems after several hundred rounds in practice and hunting in the USA and Africa. I've posted before on it's accuracy and long range shooting capabilities. Believe me when I say it shoots better than I do.

This is one of the few "cold dead hands" firearms I own. Meaning I'll most likely not let it go in my lifetime.

Good luck.

Mike

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 676 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
i have a chapius 375 H&H and shoots very very accuratly with hand loads and pretty dam good with factory loads as well. But.......It it a ejector model and there was a period of time when i first purchased it (i brought it second hand) that it would not eject consistently. a little bit of work by my gunsmith and it has not failed since. when it does eject it sends the empty cases 3 yards clear brehind me. 99 % of the problem was the handloaded cases but at the moment so far so good.

Posts: 411 | Location: australia | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duggaboybuff,

I am curious about wether your rifles problem included an issue with the paw or extractor slipping over the "rim" or if it was simply a problem with the ejection of the cases? Can you fill us in?

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
My franz sodia .338 win double has never failed to ejeckt neather have any of my other break open gus in rimless calabers.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
JPK, it was the ejection of the cases, there seemed to be a problem with the primary extraction(not partialy lifting case out) and only ejecting off the spring.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Duggaboybuff,

Was the paw, or clip, slipping over the base or was the issue a mechanical failing in the extraction system?

Thanks,

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I have A Heym O/U combo (M55/77/)20 GA. over .30/'06. The rifle barrel has thus far functioned flawlessly, with factory and handloaded ammo both...... Tiny little extractor tooth.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
JPK, the claw did not slip at all. when you open the gun, the stuck case would be flush with the action. no lifting of the fired caseat all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dougaboybuff,

Got it now. Thanks. Must have been an ejector rod or something, but not related to the rimless case.

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
you right JPK, it had nothing to do with it being a rimless case, the rod was not lifting to begin the ejection, therefore was relying purely on the spring.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Duggaboy,

That sounds like your ecjector timing was out of whack. A simple fix for a knowledgable gunsmith.

How is the accuracy on your rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Krieghoff 375 H&H and so far it has functioned flawlessly.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
How is the accuracy on your rifle?

Surestrike, the rifle is a great shooter, I can cut the same hole with each barrel at 50meters, right on the money. The Ejectors are working fine now as well.

One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
surestrike, I cant help but shake my head when I read your signiture. I had those exact words said to me on shooting a waterbuck in Zim and i could have hit him again, but was told there was no need.....never caught up with him again. Another client hunting later that season shot a waterbuck in the same area with a bullet hole in it all healed up.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
dugaboybuff
How does your Chapuis 375 shoot at 100 yards. Do different loads still regulate pretty good?
Does you 375 H&H Chapuis have a scope, and if so have you shot it at 200 or 300 yards?

One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
NE 450 No 2, the rifle does have a 1.5 x 4.5 Zeiss scope with quick release swing on/off EAW mounts. The rifle has not had a lot of testing, only at 50 meters (indoor shooting range). I hope to get out and do a bit of range work with it in the next couple of weeks, i'll let you know how it shoots at 100 and 200.

one of us
posted Hide Post
duggaboybuff
Yes, let us know how she shoots at a distance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Years back had a Westley .375 H&H droplock, lots of extraction trouble with US ammo, worked OK with old Kynoch.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vigillinus:
Years back had a Westley .375 H&H droplock, lots of extraction trouble with US ammo, worked OK with old Kynoch.

Arrrggghhh!

How old was that rifle?

I ould have been very angry! gunsmile

one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably built in 1960s, very elegant rifle with extra set of droplocks and peepsight built into the rib, gorgeous, but a sh....y shooter.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote