Find
Notify
Tools

DON"T LAUGH
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am having a double rifle made in a 45-70
I want it regulated with a scope. That is the question, what scope? It will be on a quick release. It"s my first double and I want it for deer and bear and to play with. I don't reload thus the 45-70. After playing with this rifle I may break down and buy a real double,
my dream .470 Really nesd recomendations on
scope -- fixed, varable, make? THANKS

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
If it were me I would leave it with open sights but if you must scope it.... I would get a Leupold 1.75-6x32 Heavy Duplex. I just got one for a 375 and it is a great scope.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Docter Optik 'Sight II'.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
aimpoint, if you don't use a leupold 1x4x20

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would anybody laugh. The 45-70 is a wonderful cart that kills like lightning with in it's range limitations. Brass ammo bullets dies are all availible and cheap.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1226 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would use the Leupold 2.5X shotgun scope. It has all the power a 45/70 needs, is tough as nails and is very affordable.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RM007:
I am having a double rifle made in a 45-70
I want it regulated with a scope. That is the question, what scope? THANKS

First off, let me ask you, who is building your double rifle, and on what action? Is it a S/S or O/U?

Now, to the scope, that is proper for any double rifle, will be as sturdy as is possible, but has to be as light as is possible as well. In addtional it must have the proper amount of eye relief. There are real reasons for each of these requirements.

I would say the Lueplod veri-x 111 fixed power 2x20 The proper QD scope mounts will cost you more, installed, than the scope. The proper QD rings & bases would be the claw mounts, but a swival mount is OK as well. Even the mounts like Warne,will work, if afixed to the rifles rib properly. The scope must be mounted as low as possible, as well. beer

Now I'll laugh! But not because of the 45-70 cartridge, but because you could most likely buy a new 45-70 double rifle, from Pedersoli, and have a scope mounted cheaper, and have a better rifle! jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
Now I'll laugh! But not because of the 45-70 cartridge, but because you could most likely buy a new 45-70 double rifle, from Pedersoli, and have a scope mounted cheaper, and have a better rifle! jumping

Champlin had one with scope mounts already on but their gunlistings won't come up for me right now. There were fairly proud of it, at least for what I would want to put in a Pedersoli versus kicking it up to a Chapuis or Merkel.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
What bullet weight and velocity are you having the rifle regulated with?

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Macd37

Sorry it is a SxS. Built by Jason Simpkins
in Colorado, on a EAA 16 gauge action. Claw mount release wiyh express sights
As far as bullet and weight I'm open for suggestions. Didn't buy Pedersoli, don't care
for the hammers.
Like the idea of the 2.5 leopuld shotgun scope
Thanks to everyone for any and all suggestions

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you might look at a fifty year old model, an early K2.5 Weaver with a post reticle. These had very long 6" eye relief to allow them to be mounted ahead of an unaltered bolt handle. On a double the back end of the eyepiece can be about even with the back end of the barrels. The optical qualities are inferior to modern scopes but are perfect adequate for shooting up to 200 yards, and the Weavers are very sturdy.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote