New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on SIACE Yukon
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been looking at SIACE Yukon's. Anybody know how they shoot? Do they hold up?

How about 7x65R in one? Is the jump from standard grade to "Lusso" worth it?

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid that my input may be of limited use to you, but I'll let you be the judge:

While not the Yukon model you enquired about, I own a SIACE Alaskan model (and notably different from the current Alaskan shown on their website). And, unlike the 7x65R that you asked about, mine is chambered for the .45-70 Gov't. I have found the little double to be well made and well regulated, so mechanically I have no complaints. Aesthetically, the rifle is a bit of an odd mix. Obvious Teutonic influences appear in the schnabel forend, the deep relief engraving and the hump-backed stock. The underside of the action sports a not-too-well engraved sheep's head (maybe Stone, maybe Dall?) and "Model Alaska". OK, but I'm not aware of doubles being a top pick amongst sheep hunters...and certainly not in .45-70!

But I'm being petty. I didn't buy this thing as a work of fine art...I bought it to shoot and hunt with. You asked how they hold up? "So far, so good" is my best answer. I don't load the .45-70 to "blind, burn and deafen" levels anyway, so I doubt I'll rattle anything aloose anytime soon.

How does it shoot? Below is a very representative pair fired off of sticks at 50 yards. Below that are a few pics of a few of the local sus scrofa taken with it. The SIACE makes a dandy hog swatter...

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 605 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That was a great review, and thanks for the pictures also! It's a beautiful rifle.

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
That's a nice big boar for sure, Siace make some nice rifles & for very little more you can up grade & ask for options or at least you could as my buddy ordered a dandy Double off them in 9.3X74, it is a beautiful rifle to !

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
That is a cool gun,thanks for sharing,now the quest starts to find one Smiler

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an Alaskan in 45-70 and has served me well. JJ helped mount a red dot on it and used it for PG, wildebeest and deer. And the solid Punch goes through a buffalo. Tested that when my son was using it for PG and I shot a buffalo with a .577. I ve used mine a lot but now I m down sizing if anybody is interested in it. PM me

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an Alaskan in 45-70 and has served me well. JJ helped mount a red dot on it and used it for PG, wildebeest and deer. And the solid Punch goes through a buffalo. Tested that when my son was using it for PG and I shot a buffalo with a .577. I ve used mine a lot but now I m down sizing if anybody is interested in it. PM me