THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Kodiak regulation, Any theory would helps.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kodiak regulation, Any theory would helps.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a .58†Kodiak double rifle and have shoot it two times just to see how it regulates.
I have pictures from my last targets at 50 meters, one from the bench and another from standing.
What puzzles me is the pattern of those targets. Shooting from the bench (a portable carpenter bench) first R-L where very close but second R-L went up and wither. Then third set of R-L went into first set. Then I try a fourth R-L that almost copy the second. At first I was astonish until I see two groups.
Then I shoot standing and four shots get just to de right of the lower group.
There is something I do when shooting from the bench but I do not know what is it.
Barrels are crossing most of the time but wither on upper bench group.
Any theory would help…… An explanation much more .LOL

Thanks
Martin

PS: I hope pictures work and that my explanation is good enough.

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Sorry I forget to mention that I left handed and I was shooting the same charge and bullets:
90gn (vol.) of FFFg black powder (the only I can get here)
445 gn Lee R.E.A.L.
CCI #11 primers.

Any theory?

Thanks
Martin

My doubles:
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Martin,
I have 2 of these.

I burn WAY more, but its FFg, powder than you... elephant, pyrodex, triple777, etc, and *I* worked up mine to about 120 gr...

90gr should NOT mske this one crossfire...

are you using the same rear blade for both?

Anyway, they amount of crossover is ALOT ... and I shout 30 more grains of powder than you do, and have been to 1400FPS with 600gr conicals...

back off 10 grains and see what happens.. that will be VERY slow, but .....

and then think about using one sight for one barrel...

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jeffeosso,
thanks for your answer.

I have use only the back sight.
I tryed 80 gn (vol.) but barrels cross a little more with this charge.
InKael FFFg is the only powder I can get here, so I use the best powder I can get. LOL

I will try more powder next time because I think that with the powder I use, increasing the charge uncross the barrel because it increase speed a little and recoil a lot.

I would like to know why I have more crossing from the bench than off hand.

Thanks
Martin

My doubles:
.58" ML by Pedersoli

one of us
posted Hide Post
You are on the right track.

I have found that double rifles have two situations that make them cross. The first is not enough load and so recoil, which seems to be the case here. If you work up from your current load you may find that the barrels come together. The will also probably shoot higher. This is because of the added recoil.

The when the come together, if you increase your loads more, they will begin to spread, this is too much recoil and not enough speed. With the loads you're shooting, just brining them together will make a great deer, etc hunting rifle.

Make sure when you shoot off the bench, or sticks or whatever, that you do not rest the forearm or barrels on the bags or sticks, etc. Make sure you are holding the barrels as you would shooting off hand. No part of the rifle should touch the bags, the rifle should be fully supported by only your hands. Otherwise, you will find that your right and left can behave unpredicatably since the rifle will recoil differently off bags or sticks than when held in your hands.

I'm a lefty too and I've found no issue getting right handed rifles to shoot to regulation, though I've had to drift the rear sight to account for some small lateral deviation that I'm not sure is attributable to being left handed.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote