THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    577 3 '' B.P.E. enough power?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

577 3 '' B.P.E. enough power?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Good morning, I need help. am looking at a very old but solid 577 BPE 3" It will move 650 gn woodleighs @1950 fps. I dont think it will penetrate w/ my full power 500NE loads,And i dont want to waste money,But , can this old Hammer still stand proud, and be a useful tool in the safe? With above mentioned ballistics what can it be used for w/ solids and softs? Its a fine English top lever boxlock W/ greener cross bolt and 28"" barrels, All opinions and help will be greatly appreciated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A mate over here in Aus uses a 577 BPE 2 3/4" with 650 gn Woodleighs at a lower speed
than yours and it has no problem dropping Big Buffalo whatsoever.

650 gn woodleighs @ 1950 fps would be even better.

Those big, heavy bullets at slow to medium velocity are superb on game.

And it drops pigs like the Hammer of Thor.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
650 and 1950 will slay nearly anything.
I believe BPE is 650 at 1650, though .. which will still kill just about anything.

if its in your budget, i would find a way

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
More from Marrakai and his .577 Light Nitro here.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
It has about the same ballistics as a 600 Nitro, just a ligher weight bullet SD =.268 vs .345 for the 600. Penetration with solids should be similar, if indeed it does give 1900+ FPS MV.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Yep 577 @ 1850/1950 would be called "light nitro" not BP.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jerry those ballistics belong to the 577 2 3/4 N.E.. The 650 / 90 cordite load. Eley Brothers 1910-11 Shows 577 x 3 with 167 grains black with 570 bullet for 1725 out of 28 Inch barrels. You might reach those velocities with smokeless loads at less that BP pressures tho.

I would be very very careful with modern solids in those barrels . 1925 nobel catalogue shows Smokeless loads for metal based/gas checked not solid bullets.

If you have any doubt about the standard 577 BPE just read Samual Bakers writings. You can't go wrong if the price is not exorbitant. My only real life experience is with the BPE is the with the 450 BPE and it is a Hellatious killer with soft and hard flat nosed bullets. The 577 would be great on anything this side of Elephant in thick stuff and with a hardened flat nosed bullet I would give it a try at that too.

I'm jealous Big Grin

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for the advice, Am I correct in assuming only to feed the old girl the woodleigh or hawk bullets @650 gns to protect the soft steel and keep velocities @ about 1800-1850 fps as long as regulation allows, Thanks again Gentlemen.

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
A friend,Dave Powell who has immense experience in Africa with the several he owns has alot of document kills with his on elephants and buff in Africa(He is anal with this stuff!)...He owns Guns International.Com and may possibly be reached there if you need more info...(He also has a nice collection of many English Doubles) patriot

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DAMN THE DECISIONS? I have been looking at this British 577 BPE in this discussion. A friend put me in touch with a nice man from Georgia with a nice Searcy 577 N.E. with modest engraving, and now I see Bigdoggy 700 With a 577 N.E. that should lend itself very well to any custom engraving pattern. The wood is certainly good enough to go with engraving upgrade. Despite which rifle I purchase I will shoot a lot more at paper than at game, that being said would I be better off with one of the Searcys or the old British BPE? One of the newer rifles should hold up better, And I wouldnt be tempted to load the old BPE to warm.Has anyone been in this jam, I would really appreciate any help.

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Jerry,

Dont know your experence level, but I'd shoot a 577 before I jumped on it.

I had a searcy 577 it was 13lbs and was OK to shoot, but it was not my fav, to take out on a sunday shoot.

If I'd get another 577 it would be 12lbs and would be hunt ready, not a casual shooter.

Bigdoggy 577 is a nice weight and I think was owned by a gent in San Antonio (the double looks kind of familar) I would not engrave a SS action. I think it looks fine. It what it is a working gun, I would'nt try to make it look like a H&H.

If you get a 577 PM me I have some loading data I'd share with you.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
505ED, I currently handload from 223 to 500NE, recoil has never been that much of a factor, I always tell myself yeah its gonna kick but it wont kill you, Started with big kickers about 25 yrs ago w/ a 378 WBY mag fron Carter Country in Houston Tx, that bastard was a BLAST. What interests me are the 2 Searcys are stronger than the old British rifle, I will admit I love to touch off big bores. But I dont really know why. Is there something inherently wrong w/ engraving stainless? Or are You saying accept it for what it is and go with it. Thanks for the info and offer for load data.