THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    (update #1) vertical spread in a double
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

(update #1) vertical spread in a double
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:
Lane,

Try Woodleighs and IMR-4831 starting at 110.0gr and work your way up in 1/2 gr increments until you get to about 2,100 to 2,150fps and the groups come together and it regulates. Forget the North Forks. Just my 2 cents.

Andy

Yep the rifle shoots Woodleighs just fine even with R15.

I'd still shoot Woodleighs just not with RL-15 and a damn filler. Wink

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Lane,

Try Woodleighs and IMR-4831 starting at 110.0gr and work your way up in 1/2 gr increments until you get to about 2,100 to 2,150fps and the groups come together and it regulates. Forget the North Forks. Just my 2 cents.

Andy

Yep the rifle shoots Woodleighs just fine even with R15.

I'd still shoot Woodleighs just not with RL-15 and a damn filler. Wink

Andy,

No need for a filler with R15.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37878 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Quoted from the other thread:

>>>I can't imagine going to the field, on a very important hunt, and coming up short on the bullet! Use the best bullet available, when it comes down to it, the bullet is the # 1 component of any hunt, the bullet does all the work! I can't fathom why one would compromise when it comes to bullet choice. Of course all of them will work! That is not the point. What is the most dependable, consistent, and the bullet you can count on when things get tough! Right now I see only two reasonable choices, CEB BBW#13s and North Fork, anything else is LESS.

Michael .458<<<

tu2 Exactly the reason I trudge on to get my DR to shoot them.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37878 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post

Almost ready Michael 458!

Ain't those some purdy bullets!!!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had two 140's in 500 Nitro and loaded for both of them. My regulation was perfect with 570 grain Woodleigh's Sp and Solids over 115 grains of H-4831. The 23 inch barrels on the 140's would only give 2050 fps by my chronograph but as I said regulation was perfect so I left it at that. Up and down regulation is the hardest to correct in my experience. I had a Jeffery 450-400 3", made in 1898, with a problem with up and down regulation that I fought with about 25 years ago and never could get it to shoot exactly right. Back then however there was not much to work with as far as load information and components.

Posts: 155 | Location: Moorefield, WV | Registered: 14 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:

Almost ready Michael 458!

Ain't those some purdy bullets!!!

Yep, amost too purty to shoot tu2

Hope those CEBs regulate well in your 500 so you don't have to turn elsewhere for "tuning".

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
ledvm and CCMDoc

Yes, they look very good. Looks like "serious" business to me.

Excellent!

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote