THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Double Rifle filler material?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double Rifle filler material?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Other than Dacon filler from a crafts store and pre-cut plugs, what else is safe to use as a filler in large cases with RL-15 and similar powders? Specifically, if I'm shopping at Home Depot, Lowes, Ace HW, etc. and find foam sheets or heavy cardboard, how do I know if they will melt or damage my bores?

If calibers matter, I'm looking at 375H&H, 9.x74R, 450/400NE and, 470NE. THANKS!

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just brought up filler test in DRBOF thread. Foam Backer rod which you can get from home supply stores seems to be the best. We have since found that no filler and a compressed charge is always better. Use a powder that fills the case to compression if possible.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
DRBOF

Confused What does that stand for (a little weak on the jargon/abbreviations)? THANKS

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Double Rifle Bullet of the Future.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Kynoch foam wads from Trader Keith.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I've used pre-cut foam rod, backer rod, Kapok, cotton. Stay away from cream o wheat it is too heavy and mixes with powder.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
I've used pre-cut foam rod, backer rod, Kapok, cotton. Stay away from cream o wheat it is too heavy and mixes with powder.
Cal

But the Cream of Wheat/gunpowder mix will help your ageing digestive system Cal. Big Grin Wink jumping

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I've also used torn up and crumpled photos of Mike Brooks and Shootaway. They get along together so well in the close confines of a .600 nitro express case.
See you on the 31st, you PITA.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
jumping jumping jumping

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I followed the advice here and used 3/8 backer rod from Lowe's in my 9.3x74. Shot it yesterday w/ Todd's load.the combo worked great.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have mine made by Houston Plastics. I bought a die. Any low density foam cut to proper length will work. I've even cut them with a bridge punch and hammer. Easier to order the Kynoch plugs

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
15 feet of filler rod, as is used in the construction industry for sealing around windows, comes in 3/8th and 5/8ths for about three or four dollars. Butch recommends it for loading big doubles.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
15 feet of filler rod, as is used in the construction industry for sealing around windows, comes in 3/8th and 5/8ths for about three or four dollars. Butch recommends it for loading big doubles.

I was at Ace the other day and they have backer rod in various sizes up to 1" in diameter.
I knew I should have bought that 8bore Holland at the CO. collector show... CRYBABY

Posts: 3322 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Dacron Polyester and 4 different densities of foam. Three of them I cut out by hand with a sharpened [with a chamfer tool] 50 BMG case.
The last foam I used was backer rod. It is the easiest to use, as you just need to cut it to length with a sharp knife. Just be sure you buy it in a large enough diameter to form a tight seal agains the inside of the cartridge case.

Also make sure the foam is COMPRESSED between the bullet and the powder.

Same for the Dacron, any filler must be COMPRESSED.

I have shot all these fillers side by side with the same load and I cannot detect any difference in point of impact or pressure between them...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Double Rifle filler material?

H-4350
H-4831

JM

one of us
posted Hide Post
jerry

With ANY powder I am aware of you still must use filler in the 450 No2 and the 475 No2, due to the large volume of those cases.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
450no2 is correct. I just loaded some .475 no2 this morning and a bit of dacron is needed.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
I just brought up filler test in DRBOF thread. Foam Backer rod which you can get from home supply stores seems to be the best. We have since found that no filler and a compressed charge is always better. Use a powder that fills the case to compression if possible.

I agree with Sam. Backer rod is an excellent filler and my choice if/when required. If just a "bit", I agree with Cal on the Dacron filler Good luck.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A compressed charge is not always the answer, it is not always possible.

Some doubles just shoot a LOT better with RL 15.
Some shoot better with IMR 4831.
Both of my British doubles shoot very good with both powders.

Also RL 15 has a LOT lower recoil.

In my 450 No2 when I shoot IMR 4831, the barrrels get extremely hot at the front of the foreend.

For full power loads I much prefer RL 15 to any other powder I have used.

I have noticed no difference in performance between Dacron and 4 different kinds/densities of foam fillers, including store bought backer rod.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have noticed no difference in performance between Dacron and 4 different kinds/densities of foam fillers, including store bought backer rod.

Tony, not picking on you by any means at all, just that the statement is appropriate for my use...... We did not notice any increased recoil or accuracy issues or anything else other than extra pressures and added velocities..... No sticky cases, or excessive signs of pressures..... But the pressure equipment took notice.

Sam and I did quite a bit of test work here for you double rifle guys. I have no bone, I don't care what you use for a filler, and I am not in the filler business and have no filler to sell you. You are not likely to see any difference or feel any difference in your loads with various fillers! Only when you hook up pressure equipment that is sensitive enough to tell the difference will you see it. You will not see a difference in accuracy, you might see a difference in velocity, depending on the powder and cartridge, in most modern doubles you are not even going to get sticky cases or outward signs of excessive pressures, unless you really get up in pressure........

We did one test with the 470 Nitro with different fillers, some showed excessive pressure differences with different fillers, and terrible inconsistencies.......... With other cartridges and powders, who knows, we tested what you see, others might be the same or might be different, I can't say unless tested. What I can say is if this is any indication of things to come, then its your rifle, do as you please. If you rather continue to use some of the fillers that caused this sort of results, based on the fact, "This is what I always Used and never had a problem" then by all means continue to do so...... Like I said, I am not trying to sell you any filler material, I personally do not care, only trying to assist and help fellow shooters.......... If you rather ignore this, or pretend it does not exist, fine with me too............

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I'm here to tell you guys Michael's comments are spot on, at least in my experience. When i first acquired my VC in 450NE virtually EVERYONE told me RL-15 was THE powder to use but a filler was needed. I tried two, the foam stuff from the Home Improvement stores as well as the dacron. In both instances they produced erractic HIGH pressure velocities and inconsistent accuracy. They I switched to H-4831 and all these issues went away.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, all I can say is than in my 450 No2, and in my 450/400 3 1/4" doubles, the cases and primers show lower pressures with RL 15 vs IMR 4831.

Also remember with a double rifle, and a break open single shot, they are more sensitive to back thrust pressure, than radial barrel pressure, vs. most olther rifle actions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael that's great data, thank you.

I haven't been able to buy any of the Reloader powders to try them.

cheers Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The look of primers is useless in a double rifle. If you get pressures that show differences in primers you are just guessing. The only reason RL-15 with a filler might be lower pressure than 4831 without is because the compressed charge of 4831 is getting better ignition. Michael and I showed this when we compressed RL-15 with cards wads and brought velocities up quite a bit and pressures were still good. Powder has to burn to work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony, yes of course, I was referring to the cartridges the OP listed in his lineup, and my own semi limited experience with loading my 303 British, 500 and 577 Nitros. <G>

JM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't got to load or seen loaded the x-tra long Nitro rounds, but would surely be very honored to get to fire 'em sometime.

JM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got the best result from my 450 x 3 1/4" with cork wads and light pressure on the powder.

John
New Zealand DRSS
450 - 3 1/4" BPE
Burning Nitro

Posts: 47 | Location: Rotorua New Zealand | Registered: 01 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
srose

When I used IMR 4831 in my 450 No2 I would get a little bit of primer expansion into one of the firing pin holes, this does not happen with RL 15.

So yes, primers can tell you something about your loads in a double rifle.

And remember in the 450 No2, I have to use a filler with ALL powders.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NE 450 No2,

I've had primers flow into firing pin holes with black powder loads so I still say if you are using the look of primers to tell pressure in a double its useless. Like you said back thrust is what tells you more and the way the cases come out of chambers after firing is a much better judge of pressure. A strain gage to me is the best way to see how your loads are operating. I've learned so much more using strain gages than any other indicator of pressure. Dacron was a real eye opener. Yes I know lots have used it me included but I won't use it anymore because of what the strain gage showed.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
This is what I use.

I used to use a tuft of Dacron as put forth in Ross Seyfried, "Reloading the Nitro Express".
I use RL-15/Norma 203B in my vintage British Double Rifle for two reasons. Pressure curve and Burn Rate close to Cordite.

As stated in the article RL-15/Norma203B is a pressure sensitive powder. When held against the primer it provides some of the most consistent velocities I have ever seen.

Perceived or felt recoil is less with RL-15/Norma 203B than say, 4831.

I will be glad to share the "Reloading the Nitro Express" article with anyone who requests it. Just email me at rkmojo@aol.com

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Below isa link to a useful tool to punch the foam:
http://www.harborfreight.com/h...-punch-set-3838.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Option C: Jute wads. I spent a big part of the day calling fabric stopre looking for wool felt, as the British used. No luck over 1/8th inch.

Finally called an upholstery shop and they use Jute. It replaced wool in many of the shops. Looks/Feels like felt, and is slightly compressable. Colin made me a set of reloading tools for my 10-bore Paradox Rifle.

160gr of 2f, a card wad, a dry jute wad, and two soaked in grease from the spring bear hunt. Seat the round ball, and crimp with the provided tool. Recoil is stout, but considering it is just 100fps faster than the 2oz buckshot load, reasonable.

Rich

Jute, $12 a square yard at the upholstery shop...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
foam backer rod

srose is spot on

all you need fast works

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Option C: Jute wads. I spent a big part of the day calling fabric stopre looking for wool felt, as the British used. No luck over 1/8th inch.

Finally called an upholstery shop and they use Jute. It replaced wool in many of the shops. Looks/Feels like felt, and is slightly compressable. Colin made me a set of reloading tools for my 10-bore Paradox Rifle.

160gr of 2f, a card wad, a dry jute wad, and two soaked in grease from the spring bear hunt. Seat the round ball, and crimp with the provided tool. Recoil is stout, but considering it is just 100fps faster than the 2oz buckshot load, reasonable.

Rich

Jute, $12 a square yard at the upholstery shop...

Rich:
I get 1/2" felt at both carpet stores (padding) or auto shops (sound deadening and insulation under auto carpet). About 3-4$ per yard and many times they just give it away. One yard gets me through a summer of shooting. I use a 5/8" punch for the .600 and 7/8" for the 8-bore and 1" for the 4-bore.
Cheers,
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
McMaster-Carr online, you can buy real wool felt in just about any thickness you want.

HTH

Colin

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A guy I met uses dryer lint for a filler. He must own a laundromat. Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does backer-rod work in bottleneck cases? I am just about ready to work up my first trial loads for the .577/500 no.2. Would I need to compress a 5/8 backer-rod, or will the 1/2" be okay?

Posts: 177 | Location: Brooks, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A "Tuft" of poly-fill the material they make pillows with works great. As long as you fill the case enough, it will hold the powder back. A bit more time consuming, but simple and works great!
Did I mention cheap, too?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
quote:
Foam Backer rod

I just spent a weekend in Colorado with a friend dialing in a load for my Heym 577NE as we get ready for a buffalo hunt in Australia. We used Foam Backer rod as filler and I could not have been more impressed with the results after the dust settled.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote