THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Double Rifle filler material?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double Rifle filler material?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari James:
quote:
Foam Backer rod

I just spent a weekend in Colorado with a friend dialing in a load for my Heym 577NE as we get ready for a buffalo hunt in Australia. We used Foam Backer rod as filler and I could not have been more impressed with the results after the dust settled.

that's what I like to hear!

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1234 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What is foam backer rod and where do you get it? I assume it comes as a "rod" and you just snip off little pieces, right?
I am tired of cutting little rods out of sheet foam.

Posts: 17190 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Foam Backer rod is a foam cord or rod that usually comes in 20 ft lengths. It is used for filling cracks and voids in concrete floors. Also used for sealing gaps in windows. It is a closed cell foam unlike the open cell form Kynoch sells. It can be found at Home Depot, Lowes and many of the bigger hardware chain stores like True Value. Usually about $5.00 per 20 feet. It is the easiest filler to use and has shown some of the lowest pressures for fillers. Cut to length with a razor and push it in the case.

Posts: 2833 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ah, ok. I understand what it is now. As you can see, I don't work on houses. I have my wife convinced that I am incapable of any house repair work as that would interfere with my car and gun work.

Posts: 17190 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Any of you guys ever try/use Puff-lon; http://www.pufflon.com/. Some of those Philistines who shoot smokeless in black powder cartridge rifles use it. I have no experience with it but am curious, and would also be curious to try it for reduced loads and cast bullets.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3822 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used Dacron filler for years, use about 5 grs. and stuff it in with an unsharpened wood pencil, it comes out in a plug and lands about 15 feet in front of the barrel at the shot..It works well and its dirt cheap..

I also use caliber designated Kynoch wads. They work great, easy to use, quick to deploy, and not very expensive considering most don't shoot a double all that much by comparison to a varmint or deer rifle..I think I prefer them, but I have had the same plastic bag of Dacron that I purchased BC....
shocker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42005 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Pufflon in my Pedersoli double that I converted to 458 RCBS Magnum.

Works very well; more uniform velocities. Slight improvement in accuracy.

No down side that I can see.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
geta couple of the foam noodles that kids use in the pool ,different colors set up chop saw with a edge and cut donuts to the hight you want, take a old fired case grind off the shoulder and rim ,sharpen and punch out filler to fit the case,your good to go. don't use filler with 5744 or it;s predacessor,or with trail boss.

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simple. Use IMR-4831.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For reloading 577NE or 600NE cartridges i use in all cases BPI shotshell wads , 24 gauge or 20 gauge . The thickness of the wad , 0.25" or 0.5" , is depending of the load , Tubal 3000 or IMR 4831 .

Posts: 282 | Location: France / Germany  | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote