New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta 689 U/O in 9.3x74R
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am interested in one of these rifles and wondering what sort of accuracy I can expect?

Any owners have accuracy results they can share and what factory ammo or handloads worked best.

Appreciate any info or tips you can share.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mine has a 2-7 cle and regulates 2.5" at 100 yds with a 3oo gr aframe aahead of 65 gr 435 i also have a matching one in 3006 that does 1" with 165 np also have a 20 ga barre set which fits both actions

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks butchloc. That’s very encouraging feedback.

A friend of mine bought a Browning U/O rifle in 9.3x74R. Even though the model he has incorporates a level of tuning for accuracy, he’s had nothing but trouble, including poor accuracy and case head separations.

Any other feedback?

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I have one in 30-06,a fine weapon,regulates well with my ammo of choice,I use 200 grs.I would not turn a Beretta down in 458WM Smiler

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill73.

So far the feedback has been positive. Any further comments, including any negative feedback.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one, and like it. But I did have trouble at first since I bought it used and didn't know what load it was regulated with, and the loads I tried ( RWS 285 gr.) did not shoot both barrels to the same point. So I had JJ Perodeau re-regulate it with Norma Oryx 285 gr. ammo. It shoots very well now, ( with scope, 2" 4 shot composite groups upper/lower upper/lower at 100 yds.) and I like everything about it. The only game I have taken so far is two black bears. Problem: I had some primers pierce on some handloads. Looking at the bottom firing pin, it was eroded into a sharp point by the escaping gasses. Not sure if that pin was too sharp to begin with. But I wrote to Beretta, they supplied a new set of firing pins and springs at reasonable cost. I installed them myself. No more trouble.

Posts: 234 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the additional comments.

I ended up buying the rifle which was new, old stock, which the dealer claimed to be unfired. I’m a leftie and I couldn’t get my face in position to see the open sights. I’d imagine with the cast in the stock I’d probably be seeing stars if I tried to fire it with the factory RH stock. As luck would have it, last Friday a custom LH stock to suit a Beretta 20 ga frame was advertised locally. Oddly, it has quite a high comb for a shotgun stock, but at least the cast in the stock suits a leftie. It needs a little bit of tweaking to fit me properly, but the changes required are minor and I think it will work out well. Very happy with the rifle and LH stock find.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What appeared as common knowledge back in the day was breaking them open under stressed getting them loaded' The lower barrel didn't sometimes open enough to load. I found this to be true on one borrowed gun some years ago, but was hunting hogs and deer, so didn't really matter but that backed up the stories Id been advised of..but that was just one instance..sooooo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote