THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    New Double Rifle Received New Picture added
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Double Rifle Received New Picture added
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted
Just received my new Chapuis UGEX 9.3X74R from Ken at Kebco today. I think it's a beautiful rifle. Can't wait to shoot it. I'll provide a range report this weekend!

Thanks again Ken.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty wood. Would not be surprised if the Chapuis turns out to be your favorite double. They are very accurate and easy to load for.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Thanks. It turned out to be nicer than I expected from the pictures on Gun Broker. Ken was great to deal with. I'm sure he'll get more of my business!

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Todd! That Ken is a deal maker!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
Beautiful wood! Hope she shoots as sweet as she looks. Congrats.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW!!! What a little beauty!! Congrats!!

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd, that's a stunner!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Very nice! tu2 Congratulations! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful little double.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Here's a couple more pics along with my 500NE Merkel. Plan is to put a scope on the Chapuis, get the mid sized Pelican case, and hunt with double doubles on my next Safaris! Should be a good combo unless I need some weapon specific animal that would be better served by a scoped bolt gun, like a Croc, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Plan is to put a scope on the Chapuis, get the mid sized Pelican case, and hunt with double doubles on my next Safaris! Should be a good combo unless I need some weapon specific animal that would be better served by a scoped bolt gun, like a Croc, etc.

No need for a scoped bolt action. Just wade out in the river with that open sighted .500 double and blast yourself a Croc.

When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom---Sitting Bull

.470 Chapuis double; 9.3x74R Mathelon triple; 30-06 Winchester O/U

Posts: 105 | Location: Rockville, MD USA | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goshoot:

No need for a scoped bolt action. Just wade out in the river with that open sighted .500 double and blast yourself a Croc.

Thats what Ian Nyschens and his buddy used to do, eh? Buzz did it is his second DVD, Zambezie Extreme! Don't know if I was ever brave enough to go in the water with those dinosaurs, but I'm certainly not brave enough anymore! A scoped 340 WBY sounds like a better plan to me.

One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle, mine has wood just like it.

Shoots like a dream, hopefully yours does as well.

Only Angels and Aviators have wings

Posts: 263 | Location: The frozen north, between deployments | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
AKS, I remember your rifle. I was just about to buy it when you beat me to it with Ken! I was bummed because I thought it was the last one. If I remember correctly, yours has a bit better wood than mine. Any chance you can post some pics of it again. I think you also have the Sabati, right?

Looks like you and I both have the idea of double double safaris! beer

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have a Merkel 470 NE and a Searcy 450-400 NE and I have the thoughts of doing the very same thing. The Searcy is scoped with a removable Leupold DG scope. Both have taken DG in Africa, but not on the same Safaris. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Todd,

That one is a real beauty! tu2

Ken is the best.

Good luck with it and on all of your future safaris.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I have a Merkel 470 NE and a Searcy 450-400 NE and I have the thoughts of doing the very same thing. The Searcy is scoped with a removable Leupold DG scope. Both have taken DG in Africa, but not on the same Safaris. Big Grin

UEG, that sounds like a good combo as well! I think I know the answer to this question, but how do you like the Searcy 450-400? I plan to meet with Butch at the DSC show to talk about building one for me. I already have a quote for it. Any chance you might post some pics of the Searcy?

Doc, yep. Ken is the man!

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Todd - I own a Searcy 450/400 classic that has Talley bases machined into the quarter rib. With the scope mounted, 2 shots (1 from each barrel, 400 gr Woodleigh soft or solid with Butch's recommended load of IMR 4831) are touching at 50 yards. At 100 yards, the center to center spread for 2 shots is 1.78" (and the barrels do not cross). I consider my 450/400 to be a really fine double.
Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
Todd - I own a Searcy 450/400 classic that has Talley bases machined into the quarter rib. With the scope mounted, 2 shots (1 from each barrel, 400 gr Woodleigh soft or solid with Butch's recommended load of IMR 4831) are touching at 50 yards. At 100 yards, the center to center spread for 2 shots is 1.78" (and the barrels do not cross). I consider my 450/400 to be a really fine double.
Mangwana

Subsailer,

Thanks for the info. I have only heard great things about Butch and his rifles! Any chance you would post some pics of your gun?

By the way, I shot the 9.3X74R today for the first time. I really like it. The groups match the test target exactly. 50 yards, about 1" with the right barrel being about 1/4 inch higher than the left; this with open sights. Load is 286 gr. TSX ahead of 53 grs of IMR 4064. Chrono gave avg of 2217 fps while the Barnes #4 Manual shows 2237 fps.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Todd,
Beware of OSR in that rifle using Barnes bullets.
Do a search for "Over Stressed Rifleing".
I'll nEVER take the chance in any of my DR's. There too many other options for premimum bullets to take a small chance.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Todd,

Here are some pictures of my Searcy .450/400:

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Sorry Mike B.,

We've beat that dead horse to the point that I actually thought it was going to get up and walk off. I've been shooting TSX in my doubles for years and had NO problems. Some don't like them, other's do. Some manufacturers actually recommend them. I agree that the original "X" bullet may have had some issues but not the TSX. Michael458's research actually shows the barrel stress of the TSX to be less than the Woodleigh but with the lighter bullet and he postulates that the full weight TSX would be at the same or only slightly higher stress level as the Woodleigh.

Oh no! I'm beating the horse again! Let's agree to disagree on that one Mike. beer

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike J.,

That's a great rifle. Is it the Classic? I've been talking to Butch about a Field Grade with upgraded wood, leather recoil pad, teardrops, and gold "Safe" and makers name.

Your's seems to have the right mix of "Bling" for my taste and function with that rear sight! I see it shoots pretty well also!!

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
http://i1185.photobucket.com/a...wana/Searcy500NE.jpg

This is a photo of my Field Grade Searcy with upgraded wood, leather pad, and makers name in gold. It is very similar to what you describe. This one is my .500NE.

Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
It is the Classic. That is not the rear sight. It has a rib that Talley QR mounts attach to. That is the back of the rib that the rings rest against.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
http://i1185.photobucket.com/a...wana/Searcy500NE.jpg

This is a photo of my Field Grade Searcy with upgraded wood, leather pad, and makers name in gold. It is very similar to what you describe. This one is my .500NE.

Mangwana

Awesome! That's exactly what I'm looking for. Really nice, congrats!

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
It is the Classic. That is not the rear sight. It has a rib that Talley QR mounts attach to. That is the back of the rib that the rings rest against.

Gotcha Mike, I couldn't see from the pics. I guess if I had looked closer at the last pic, I would have seen the rear sight. Don't I feel stupid!! Sorry about that. It does look like a Deep V though, eh? Butch makes a nice rifle. I hear he is a First Class guy as well. Sounds like someone I want to give my business to.

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Todd - I actually sent my rifle(the .500NE in the photo) back to Butch this week for an annual clean and inspect. Butch will have this rifle at the upcoming DSC and SCI conventions as one of his display pieces. Feel free to fondle it when you stop by his booth!
Mangwana

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I plan to be at both shows. I'll take you up on that offer!

Cheers,

Todd

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Let's agree to disagree on that one Mike. beer

No problem.. it's your decision. I just wanted you to be informed in case you weren't aware of this possibility. I chose not to chance it.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
quote:
Let's agree to disagree on that one Mike. beer

No problem.. it's your decision. I just wanted you to be informed in case you weren't aware of this possibility. I chose not to chance it.

I appreciate it Mike. I really do!

Cheers,

Todd

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd and AK, Did you guys leave the factory buttplate on your rifles or did you replace them? I replaced mine with an Old English pad, partly for length of pull but mostly because I knew I would ding the pretty factory plate up.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I've left the wood plate on mine because it was built to fit me. I'd hate to loose any of the beautiful French wood. If and when I skin it up I might change my mind. But for now it'll stay.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here's a couple more pics along with my 500NE Merkel. Plan is to put a scope on the Chapuis.
[IMG]

Like you, I also planned on scoping my Chapuis and ordered the rings/mounts along with a 2x7 Leupold European (30mm) scope when I purchased the rifle. But then discovered how accurate it was with the iron sights and never installed the scope.
Mine also made a trip to Dale Nyguard (he imports and sells them) and his smith worked the triggers over and really improved them.
As far as mounting the scope good luck with loosening those screws that hold those spacer blocks on the barrel. Mike Brooks had to drill his out and I tried grinding down a screw driver to fit the screw slots and ended up breaking two blades attempting to loosen the screws. One of these days I'll get around to having a smith loosen those dang screws.

The only complaint I ever hear about the UGEX is sometimes the comb is to high, like mine is. 15-20 rounds and my cheek is nice and puffy. But if I ever added the scope it would be fine.

For the money, the Chapuis 9.3 has to be the best dollar value around for a quality double.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
BB, I just got mine 3 days ago so it still has the original buttplate. Haven't decided on replacing or not. I'll keep you posted if I change it.

Snowwolfe, the comb on mine is too high as well and I just figured the scope would take care of that. Haven't tried to mount it yet as I wanted to check the regulation with irons and my load first. I agree that the triggers are a bit rough. Seems to me the Safety is a bit rough as well. Did you or Mike have that issue? I'll check out the situation with the spacer screws tomorrow. Sounds like I may be in for a battle on that one. Thanks for the heads up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd,
No issues with my safety. My front trigger was a tad heavy, the rear was very heavy, like about 7-8 pounds. I waited about 18 months before sending it out for a trigger job because the "experts" kept on telling me the triggers would smooth out over time. Well, they didnt, lol. Dale's smith did a great job and the front is now about 4, the rear maybe 4.5 pounds. He only charged $100 but that was a couple of years ago. Turn around time was less than two weeks.

NECG sells QD European sling swivels for the studs.

Never changed my butt plate either. Rifle does have a little kick to it since it is so light but it is easy to handle.

Two big Alaskan moose and a bunch of hares and porkies wished I never would of bought the ChapuisSmiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd, The safety spring is where your rough feeling is coming from. A leaf spring pushes down on the safety bar inside the receiver and the amount of pressure from the spring makes it a little hard to push. You can take the stock off and if you are careful you could probably put a little more bend in the spring so it will exert less pressure. My guess is though that after a few hundred pushes it will soften up just a little.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Todd, beautiful rifle, beautiful wood. I love mine. I have killed buffalo, pigs and whitetail with it and it came mounted with a Leupold 1.75 X 6 scope and a Griffon and Howe buttpad. Bought it here off the classifieds. You won't need anything else except for the heavy stuff. BTW, the 286 gr. Privi bullets work great on pigs and deer.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
RAC, you have quite a range of animals there with your rifle! Nice!

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:

UEG, that sounds like a good combo as well! I think I know the answer to this question, but how do you like the Searcy 450-400? I plan to meet with Butch at the DSC show to talk about building one for me. I already have a quote for it. Any chance you might post some pics of the Searcy?

Doc, yep. Ken is the man!

I use to own this Searcy 450/400;

Searcy's great scope bases:

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote