THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    New Double Rifle Received New Picture added
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Double Rifle Received New Picture added
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Another fine double OZH.

I guess to each his own but I don't understand how the bolt guys can resist the charms of a nice double rifle! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Nice rifle.!

Posts: 15 | Location: Zimbabwe/USA | Registered: 11 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
One more picture of the new UGEX after I mounted the scope and did a little enhancement.

Plan on shooting it with the scope tomorrow! Just in time for deer season next weekend!

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Todd, absolutely killer wood!!!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful rifle!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Sorry Mike B.,

We've beat that dead horse to the point that I actually thought it was going to get up and walk off. I've been shooting TSX in my doubles for years and had NO problems. Some don't like them, other's do. Some manufacturers actually recommend them. I agree that the original "X" bullet may have had some issues but not the TSX. Michael458's research actually shows the barrel stress of the TSX to be less than the Woodleigh but with the lighter bullet and he postulates that the full weight TSX would be at the same or only slightly higher stress level as the Woodleigh.

Oh no! I'm beating the horse again! Let's agree to disagree on that one Mike. beer

Todd I see you only registered on Accurate Reloading 09/Jan/2011 so you weren’t here when the OSR wars were raging, so may, or may not, be aware of the problem with mono-metal bullets on older double rifles with softer steel in the barrels or new double rifle with very thin barrels the Chapuis doubles in particular! Please don’t get the idea I’m trying to tell you what to do, but I think I would be remiss in my responsibility if I didn’t give you information you may not be aware of hence the information of only one such case of barrel failure caused by poorly designed mono-metal bullets in a Chapuis double rifle!

NOW none of this is a down grade on Chapuis double rifles they are fine rifles, and yours is a beautiful piece for sure, but is a warning about using mono-metal bullets in it!

We had a person here who was new to double rifles and bought a new Chapuis double rifle and in less than a week the barrels separated from the ribs and wedges, making the regulation go to hell suddenly! Since the rifle, mentioned above was new he sent the rifle back to Chapuis for repair! They re-regulated the rifle, re-attached the wedges and ribs and sent the rifle back to him!

Less than a week later the rifle separated the barrels again and regulation went south. Again he sent the rifle back to Chapuis for repair. This time they didn’t fix the rifle right away, but contacted him for some information on loads he was using in the rifle.

When he told them he had been shooting mono-metal bullets in the rifle they told him they would fix the rifle, but if he ever shot another mono-metal bullet in the rifle he was on his on! Top that off by the fact that I have personally seen barrels with OSR on the barrels with thicker walls, but with older softer steel.

Many think this doesn’t exist but I assure you it does! Here let me say I use mono-metal bullets in my Merkels, but not just any mono-metal bullet! I will use nothing but North Fork, copper, bore-riders or the new DOUBLE RIFLE BULLET OF THE FUTURE and the GS Customs in my newly made doubles and they have substantially thicker barrel walls that anything made by Chapuis. I will not use any mono-metal bullet regardless of design in my older doubles.

This post is simply info to be used or cast aside as anyone chooses!

There’s an end of it for me! wave BYE!!!!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Mac, you and I have had this conversation before. Shoot what you want. I will do the same. I thought you and I were settled on this to agree to disagree. I guess not!

Sorry for the short remark but I'm tired of being preached to about it! If my rifle is damaged by shooting TSX bullets, I'll pay to repair it, not you.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mac, you and I have had this conversation before. Shoot what you want. I will do the same. I thought you and I were settled on this to agree to disagree. I guess not!

Sorry for the short remark but I'm tired of being preached to about it! If my rifle is damaged by shooting TSX bullets, I'll pay to repair it, not you.

................................. flame Ouch! that burned!

Todd settle down! I didn't post that to anger you, it is just that I thought you would like to know of the problem with a Chapuis while useing mono-metal bullets, I guess not!

As I said in my post far be it from me to tell you what to do with your rifle, for as you say it is your bill if it is damaged! I wasn't PREACHING TO YOU as you say,sorry if it seemed that way to you! I just thought I may be making you aware of something you could maybe use to avoid a posible damage that is not necessary as long as there are pleanty of mono-metal bullets that are 100% safe in your rifle.

You are right however to use what you want, But the advice I offered was not just for you but is open to others who may want to use the warning!

In any event, the warning didn't cost you one red cent, and you are certainly free to use it or thorw it in the delete can! Be advised I will not bother you further!

PS: By the way your new rifle is a real shiner!

.................................Good luck Mr.Williams!

..........................Hold your fire till I get my foxhole dug!

.......................... BOOM................. diggin

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Mac, I always tell people that back when I was a fighter pilot, I was a real jerk, but I'm over it now! Evidently I have more work to do on that one. I'm sorry if I was overly short with my response to you.

There is a definite group of shooters that are against the TSX in double rifles and I think I heard from all of them via P.M. within a day or two of posting the load I was using in this rifle. Like I've stated before, I agree the original X may have had some issue here but I think the TSX is different.

For one, IMO, they function similar to a Bore Rider Bullet with the grooves. This gives excess material a place to go just as with the bore rider type bullet. It also reduces surface area, thereby reducing pressure. Michael458's research bears this out and IMO, his work is pretty detailed. Also, the Barnes TSX bullets are made of a pure copper which is SOFTER than standard copper alloy jackets on other bullets. Lastly, they tend to be undersized which further reduces pressure.

I usually try to back up what I state with verifiable references instead of just pulling it out of nowhere. With that, since I was loading for the 9.3X74R today, I actually measured about 20 286gr TSX bullets with an advertised diameter of .366. What I found was that each of them actually measured .365. That is something everyone can reproduce with a bullet and micrometer. So, in my mind, the changes in the TSX bullet over the original X bullet are adequate to continue shooting them.

If there is really an issue, each manufacturer should provide, with the instructions for the rifle, a warning against shooting mono-metal bullets in their rifle. Since, the old rifles weren't around when mono-metal projectile bullets were invented and used steels of different quality than today, this statement may not apply. With data showing less barrel strain with the TSX than Woodleigh, I'm not sure that statement even applies, but since there was no opportunity for a warning with the instructions with those guns, I'll give it the benefit of doubt. I still haven't seen a single warning issued on newly manufactured rifle.

Since I had that ruptured case, I spoke with some folks who have a direct line of communication with the Chapuis folks and although everyone seems to agree that the case separation was a brass issue, I inquired about the TSX load. The answer I got was "No Problem".

Mac, I was disrespectful to you and I apologize. I was a bit touchy about it from the repetition of going through this justification so often lately. If you'll accept my apology, I'll try to play nice next time! Smiler I do value everyone's opinion here but this one seems like a dead horse if there ever was one. horse

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Dang Todd, glad you lightened up a bit!! Big Grin Still a very nice piece of wood. How did it shoot? Crossing as always??? Wink jumping

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mac, I always tell people that back when I was a fighter pilot, I was a real jerk, but I'm over it now! Evidently I have more work to do on that one. I'm sorry if I was overly short with my response to you.

There is a definite group of shooters that are against the TSX in double rifles and I think I heard from all of them via P.M. within a day or two of posting the load I was using in this rifle. Like I've stated before, I agree the original X may have had some issue here but I think the TSX is different.

For one, IMO, they function similar to a Bore Rider Bullet with the grooves. This gives excess material a place to go just as with the bore rider type bullet. It also reduces surface area, thereby reducing pressure. Michael458's research bears this out and IMO, his work is pretty detailed. Also, the Barnes TSX bullets are made of a pure copper which is SOFTER than standard copper alloy jackets on other bullets. Lastly, they tend to be undersized which further reduces pressure.

I usually try to back up what I state with verifiable references instead of just pulling it out of nowhere. With that, since I was loading for the 9.3X74R today, I actually measured about 20 286gr TSX bullets with an advertised diameter of .366. What I found was that each of them actually measured .365. That is something everyone can reproduce with a bullet and micrometer. So, in my mind, the changes in the TSX bullet over the original X bullet are adequate to continue shooting them.

If there is really an issue, each manufacturer should provide, with the instructions for the rifle, a warning against shooting mono-metal bullets in their rifle. Since, the old rifles weren't around when mono-metal projectile bullets were invented and used steels of different quality than today, this statement may not apply. With data showing less barrel strain with the TSX than Woodleigh, I'm not sure that statement even applies, but since there was no opportunity for a warning with the instructions with those guns, I'll give it the benefit of doubt. I still haven't seen a single warning issued on newly manufactured rifle.

Since I had that ruptured case, I spoke with some folks who have a direct line of communication with the Chapuis folks and although everyone seems to agree that the case separation was a brass issue, I inquired about the TSX load. The answer I got was "No Problem".

Mac, I was disrespectful to you and I apologize. I was a bit touchy about it from the repetition of going through this justification so often lately. If you'll accept my apology, I'll try to play nice next time! Smiler I do value everyone's opinion here but this one seems like a dead horse if there ever was one. horse

No problem on this end Todd! I seem to have a very dirrect way of writing,that is often taken as confortational, when it isn't meant to be at all! You however are not the first to take my posts as sort of PONTIFICATING, but I assure you my post in this case was not meant that way! So I bear the guilt of the misunderstanding!

........................... old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you responded Mac.

beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd, I notice you said after a little enhancement. Did you do something like Scratch-X to your wood or just something with your camera? By the way, how well was the grain filled on your wood?

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BayouBob:
Todd, I notice you said after a little enhancement. Did you do something like Scratch-X to your wood or just something with your camera? By the way, how well was the grain filled on your wood?

The wood grain is well filled. The enhancement I mentioned was done in IPhoto. Blurred the edges, highlighted certain things and played with the exposure a bit. Just a few computer tricks to overcome my lack of camera knowledge. Nothing done to the gun itself.