Find
Notify
Tools

Finally got my first double
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted
First I want to that all of you on AR that answered all my questions, gave me good opinions and advice, and last, reassured me after I bought it, that it was a nice gun for me to shoot....

Enjoy the pics... It's a Cogswell & Harrison in 475 3 1/4"... 475 NE I believe, not #2. Serial number is in the 48XXX range, so I'm trying to figure how old it is...

fuzzy pic

receiver

stock

Flip Ups

sorry about the pics.. trying a new camera out

If anyone has any old dies, brass or .483 bullets they want to get rid of let me know...

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KINO
posted Hide Post
Congrats thumb Is this the one from Champlin arms ?
I've got about another six months for mine.

Posts: 470 | Location: SYRACUSE, UT, USA | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
470capstick!

I have 4 boxes of 475 3 1/4" factory kynock ammo, 1950's manufacture. If you interested PM me.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
Yeah.. I got it from George at Champlins.. I saw it at Reno, and figured if he still had it at DSC, I'd haggle a bit on it..

It's not perfect, but I wanted an old London built double to shoot about a million rounds through...

it's been refinished, looks great to me, and comes up, and lines up great for me... and most of the AR guys who put their hands on it Friday night..

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The serial number on George's site is from 1916, but the 168 Piccadilly address wasn't opened until 1917. My guess would be that it was ordered 1916 and delivered 1917-1918. Not many British guns were delivered during the war.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Sorry I missed you at the show. Looks like a nice rifle!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .475 is an excellent caliber. Have fun with the rifle.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Al:

Great meeting you at DSC - congrats on the new lady! I can't wait to hear how she shoots for you!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
thumbOne more official member of the DRSS!

Congratulations!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Make that two! Saturday, I purchased a Rhodda 450/400 from George. I had been lusting over his Scott 475 #2, then someone traded in the Rhodda and my bride of 25 years bought it for me!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think we are going to need to find a bigger venue for the next DRSS hunt/weekend!!!!!

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Al!! I enjoyed meeting you; we'll have to get together next time I'm in Houston.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Al,
It was a pleasure meeting you at DSC.
Good luck with your C&H! It is a beauty!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
WTG Lee!
I look forward to working up some loads for you and Bobc.

It's going to be a great "Double Rifle Day" at Bayou rifles when we go to shoot them!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Rusty, with all of the Houston activity, maybe we could talk to Bayou about us building and placing a standing rest at the 50 yd range. It shouldn't be too complicated for a few of us to get some plans and put one together. Bob

Posts: 1283 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very nice!!! congrads!!!

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Good idea Bob!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty
Be sure and let me know when you Houston DRSS guys start to do a Double rifle shoot, even if it is just a big practice day. If I can get loose I will come down.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I can get loose I will come down.

yeah, Tony, it's going to be hard taking off work to make it down there after Feb. 7th!

577NitroExpress

One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
Now we need to come up with our official DRSS Dangerous Game targets, and start marketing them....

does anyone remember when the old Carter's Country had the deer target on the little railroad track, and you could practice shooting a moving target... we could have a charging cape buffalo rotflmo

Ok.. I controlled too many airplanes today, and am getting a little carried away

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Rusty
Be sure and let me know when you Houston DRSS guys start to do a Double rifle shoot, even if it is just a big practice day. If I can get loose I will come down.

Me too! Been wanting to get down there anyway! thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ok.. I controlled too many airplanes today, and am getting a little carried away

At least you are off duty, right... Eeker

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty and I have visited a little about building a standing rest to put out at Bayou Rifles, where a number of us are members and we did the 1st DRSS target shoot. Anybody have plans for one? We did a temporary moving target, but I don't have any idea whether a permanent deal would be approved. Bob

Posts: 1283 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
470CapstickA2
Nice double. It looks brand new, and handles nice. Let us know how she shoots.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470CapstickA2:
Now we need to come up with our official DRSS Dangerous Game targets, and start marketing them....

does anyone remember when the old Carter's Country had the deer target on the little railroad track, and you could practice shooting a moving target... we could have a charging cape buffalo rotflmo

Hey, my archery club did this. They had a night shoot. And they set up a moving deer target like you're describing. It was just a dummy/target wired up to a pulley and sliding down a wire attached at a downward angle between two trees. Pretty neat.

Steve

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Rifle.

Is this the Judge's other gun? I seem to remember him selling this and a .375 2.5

Just curious.

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
Heya John,

Good eye... actually JudgeG thought this was his old rifle when I first showed it to him.. so they must have been twins....

Al

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting! I remember the Judge's rifle for sale at Champlins and then remember seeing what really appeared to be his rifle (but then with refinished metal work) popping up on their web-site at a slightly higher price shortly after. Now this rifle pops up (I don't know if you bought the one at Champlins or not)! If these are three different Coggie 475s, well I guess that makes three that I wish I owned. Smiler

Best,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote