Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heym selective ejectors
 Login/Join

posted
i see you can order a Heym with a selector that will either just extract, or extract and eject brass. how is this system? anyone know the cost of getting this feature on a new gun?

in your all's experience, do most PHs prefer no-ejection or ejection of spent brass when hunting DG? i ask because i have heard that the 'ping' of ejecting brass may allow DG to pinpoint the shooter when they may otherwise have not been able to determine where a shot had come from (thus potentially avoiding a charge)
Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is reliable I'd think it's a GREAT option! I certainly do NOT speak from experience.

I've heard in older HEYMS thumb

I have NOT heard regarding newer HEYMS.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
The concept is more common that most believe.

Here's the same option on a 20ga WR that I had. Here it's under the barrels and the forearm had to be removed to switch them on/off.

On the HEYM it's on the outside of the forearm and is easier to access. It also slides rather than twisting as shown.

For those interested in the little 20ga WR (TWO BARREL SET) here she is...

Kinda wish I still had it... Frowner

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I just sold a Heym 88b 375 H&H with the selector switch for the ejectors. The switch is a sliding switch in the forearm iron right at the wood line on the bottom. Easy to operate and absolutely reliable. I really liked it and used it at range all the time. The gun was about 20 years old and the original papers did not mention it so it may have been standard then. Incidentally the factory target shows that it was regulated with Winchester Silvertips. I thought that was unusual. It also had square notch/post front like a Merkel. Shot well. Very nice gun. It came with a grip cap trap with spare front sight and 2 spare strikers maked R&L.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eagle11:
i see you can order a Heym with a selector that will either just extract, or extract and eject brass. how is this system? anyone know the cost of getting this feature on a new gun?

in your all's experience, do most PHs prefer no-ejection or ejection of spent brass when hunting DG? i ask because i have heard that the 'ping' of ejecting brass may allow DG to pinpoint the shooter when they may otherwise have not been able to determine where a shot had come from (thus potentially avoiding a charge)
Thanks.

I have a Heym 88b Safari with this selector.
It is 10 Years old, caliber .450 N.E. 3 1/4.

It works great!

one of us
posted Hide Post
My Heym 88B in .470 NE has the selector and it works like a charm. Great for use at the range. I don't have to scramble all over the ground looking for spent cases.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I had one of the Heym 88s with the selector switch, and it was a very early one, and was problematic. The switch was higher than the wood, and would sometimes get switched by the forehand, especially if wearing gloves. I fixed mine by modifying the switch, but the factory changed the switch a short time later. I've heard nothing but praise for it since!

I wish they were stock on all double rifles!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all, sounds like a great feature.