New
Find
Notify
Tools

SPR sighting in question?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Over the weekend I was able to work a little with that SPR in .30-06 of mine. No pictures, but maybe my description will suffice. On target at 50 yards, right barrel shoots 4inches right of center line of sight. Left barrel prints in almost the exact same hole. Largest margin of error I had was maybe 2 inches. All this is free hand standing up right.

Now my question is: Do I just know that it shoots 4 inches right of center or how do I adjust to bring both barrels more in line with center sight picture?

NOTE: I feel I must apologize about any defaming or damning remark I may have made against this rifle. After this weekend shooting of about 40 rounds or so and She can do this. I like it, I really do. I don't care how ugly She is, She works.

A school teacher with champagne tastes, and a beer pocket book.

Posts: 46 | Location: South GA | Registered: 28 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
it sounds like regulation is fine. I would adjust the sights to move it over 4 inches.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
lets and rights hit together?
drift the rear sight

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39696 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry about that guys, I was just so excited my common sense failed to kick in and I didn't think about the most simple solution. Thanks for the help.

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
move the rear sight in the direction you want bullet impact to move.....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sgt Brown
posted Hide Post
Well, the first try at sighting my 45/70 is done. Rotten day. Blowing rain that came under the covered firing positions and just made things pretty crummy. But, one must take what opportunity he can find. Shooting was at the Ohio DNR Range in my area.

I have no use for the rear sight that comes on the Baikal, so I replaced mine with an adjustable folding sight from Lyman. Note: This is a special model with a metric dovetail designed for European firearms. It's main use is as a replacement sight on Italian-made muzzleloaders. And being a folding sight, it doesn't rip up gun cases, etc.

I mounted the sight and bore-sighted it "the old-fashioned way" to the left barrel. No fancy collimator. I just set the barrel on a box so I could look down the bore at a distant object then adjusted the sights to be on the same object. I guess I came pretty close. Here are the first three shots I ever fired with the rifle. Left barrel. 50 yards. Held on the bottom of the bull. No complaints here!

Now the bad news. Near as I can tell, the right barrel IS putting them somewhere on the backstop. I hope! Actually, I think they are low and right. Eighteen rounds and playing with the jackscrew told me little. By then the rain, my shoulder and the fact the state will not allow rifles on the 25 yard range (and get a better idea where they are going) combined to make me call it a day.

But there will be other days.

Tom

DRSS
NRA Life

"Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can - if necessary - look any man in the eye and tell him to go to hell!" US Cavalry Manual 1923

Posts: 93 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sgt Brown
posted Hide Post
Not sure how it happened, but the target photo is turned 90 degrees.

Also,big surprise (sarcastic): Baikal triggers SUCK!

Tom

DRSS
NRA Life

"Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can - if necessary - look any man in the eye and tell him to go to hell!" US Cavalry Manual 1923

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
why not move closer to the target an try again????....on my range, i bore-sight at 50...then shoot.... and adjust as necessary... i have a big backstop that i can cover with newsprint.... and see bullet hits....without knowing where your bullets are hitting, it's hard to tell what you need to do....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sgt Brown
posted Hide Post
Jimcat,

As mentioned, Ohio DNR range rules will not allow rifles at the 25 yard positions. Closest you are allowed to the backstop is 50. PITA.

Next time I go to the range, I am going to bring my own cardboard (the state normally supplies target frames and cardboard) and may even stop at the appliance store to get as big an appliance box as they have. That should help me find out where those errant rounds are going.

Ah well, I'll just keep looking at that target from the first three shots.

Did I mention that Baikal triggers suck?

(In truth, my Baikal 30/06 is at the gunsmith getting its triggers done. If I had sent the 45/70 first I wouldn't have been able to shoot it this weekend and I wanted it to be the first I fired.)

Tom

DRSS
NRA Life

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please keep us informed of how the trigger job goes. I just managed to snag one of the 06's on Gunbrokers for $700 and am interested in all tips for improving it.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sgt Brown
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe,

Here is a lot of good info on Baikal trigger work. I gave this post to my gunsmith to help him.

http://tinyurl.com/y928okx

Tom thumb

DRSS
NRA Life

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got my 06 yesterday and just shot a few rounds this morning as I was pressed for time. The triggers are worse than you all say! They are horrible, but it still shot minute of pop can at 25 yards with cheap federal factory ammo. I will try and get it on paper at 50 and 100 yards soon but will attempt to smooth up and lighten the triggers first.

It seems like it may be a perpetual work in progress but that is what I expected with a $600 double rifle that gets mixed reviews.

Matthew

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
what I expected with a $600 double rifle that gets mixed reviews.

Your right, she will never be anything more than a trustworthy field rifle. This weekend is a long one for teachers in my county, furlough day. I am taking a "sick leave" day tomorrow and with Friday's furlough day- I am going to have a long hog hunting weekend. If I decide to come back for Monday's classes I will let you know how she does in the field this weekend.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Appreciate it if any of you guys can post the loads you are shooting.
I have a couple of thousand of 180 grain partitions to shoot up.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right now I have been running Remington Core-lokt 165 grains, factory loaded. I have not started reloading for it as of yet. I will be asking for the same advice in about 2 months or so when I exhaust my pre-loaded supply. Take good notes and let me cheat off of them when the time comes.