THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Pedersoli Kodiak 45-70 listed on Guns International
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pedersoli Kodiak 45-70 listed on Guns International
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I see that Guns International has a kodiak 45-70 listed . It even has a scope mount, something I was told did not exist. Guess thats false. No interest in the rifle other than I would like to find out who made the mounts.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolland:
I see that Guns International has a kodiak 45-70 listed . It even has a scope mount, something I was told did not exist. Guess thats false. No interest in the rifle other than I would like to find out who made the mounts.

I have a Kodiak double rifle with a scope, chambered for 458RCBS, and the bases, and rings are warne! The Kodiak didn't come with mounts for a scope, all that have them were installed after market.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
If those barrels are browned I think that it'll be a Trail Guns Armory gun (IIRC)Made by Pedersoli. But the ones by Pedersoli I've seen and had were blued tubes.
Not a bad price IMO.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FYI to those thinking of converting these to larger cartridges. I had a customer that sent slugs for checking bullet compatibility. The barrels slugged .4556". That doesn't surprise me as SAAMI min spec for the 45-70 is .456, not .458 as most presume. Although most manufaccturers in the US pay little attention to the .456 dimension, it appears that over seas manufacturers do stick closer to that smaller dimension. He had already fired steel jacketed solids through it so at least it is a good testament to the toughness of the rifle but it would still be a very good idea to slug your barrels before you go sticking bullets down the barrel that do not measure that small. The wrong combination could send pressures through the roof.

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
If those barrels are browned I think that it'll be a Trail Guns Armory gun (IIRC)Made by Pedersoli. But the ones by Pedersoli I've seen and had were blued tubes.
Not a bad price IMO.

They can be had with either finish, blued or browned. Depends on how the importer wants them. Several years ago Cimarrom Fireams Co. brought a few in and they were with browned barrels.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
Not a bad price IMO.

This is true, but I think we need a little history lesson here in regard to the Kidiak Mark IV side by side double rifle!

The rifle is a replica of the 1878 Colt double rifle, a very rare bird indeed! This replica was comissioned by Col, Make Powasnik, owner of TRAIL GUNS ARMORY, a now defunct company that was based in League City, Texas. The rifle strated life on the assembly line at Pedersoli in early 1988, and the first ones hit the market here late that same year. I have the serial # 134 rifle, that was ordered 1 year before I recieved it. They were origenally quoted at $900 USD, but before they were even available, Mike knew he couldn't sell them that low! He told me if I got my deposite in before Sept 1st 1988, he would let me have one for the $900 price quoted in the Guns&Ammo article by Phil Spangengerger. I jumped on it!

The origenals were chambered only for 45-70 gov, and fitted with very heavy browned barrels,browned because they were soft soldered, and that was the way Colt did thiers. They had two flip up sights, supposidly one for each barrel. Mine shot both barrels to the sights @ 100 yds with one sight, so I adjusted the other one for 150 yds.

After Mike died, and the TGA was dismanteled, and stock sold, Pedersoli made deals with Dixie Gun Works, and Navy Arms, and continued to make the rifles, with changes made as they went along. Today the rifles are trimmer, and lighter, as well as being better finished, and with one standing and two flip-up Express sights
They now are chambered for 45-70, 9.3X74R, and 3X57jrs, and the blued barrels are brazed together.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolland:

I have one of those Pedersoli Kodiak double muzzleloaders, a .54 cal. These rifles are pretty much the same as the breechloaders, except for the barrels and hammers.

I put a scope on mine using one of those blank, extruded aluminum "tipoff" .22 rimfire type ribs made by Brownell's. Just screwed it to the center of the rib between the barrels, and used four 8-40 screws. In spite of the recoil, the plain old Weaver tipoff clamp type rings seem to keep the scope in place (old Redfield 2.75X w/post & crosshair).

It shoots round balls quite well with 85 grains of Swiss FFg, the "regulating load" for 100 yards..... shown here

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I have 2 of the frontstuffer 58s... one is the kit gun, one is the fancy pistol grip and nice.. the kit gun NOW shoots great groups at 75 yards, after some work, with one sight. the other one requires one sight for left, one sight for right.

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38608 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can across a Pedersoli double in 45/70 in DJ pawn shop in bothell WA last week. The gun is in mint condiction and I think he wants $950. for it.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donato:
I can across a Pedersoli double in 45/70 in DJ pawn shop in bothell WA last week. The gun is in mint condiction and I think he wants $950. for it.

That is a heck of a price if all is in order with the rifle!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donato:

Dam mine is worth only $950 I had been thinking about trying to trade for a pair of colt SAAs now it isnt worth one. Frowner

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Donato,

I called the shop. The price is $2,275.00 which is a fair price, but not quite the bargain it would have been at $950.00. Frowner

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of walksfar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NFMike:
FYI to those thinking of converting these to larger cartridges. I had a customer that sent slugs for checking bullet compatibility. The barrels slugged .4556". That doesn't surprise me as SAAMI min spec for the 45-70 is .456, not .458 as most presume. Although most manufaccturers in the US pay little attention to the .456 dimension, it appears that over seas manufacturers do stick closer to that smaller dimension. He had already fired steel jacketed solids through it so at least it is a good testament to the toughness of the rifle but it would still be a very good idea to slug your barrels before you go sticking bullets down the barrel that do not measure that small. The wrong combination could send pressures through the roof.

If this is truely the case, then it's quite important, as you say.
Sticking to soft's only should not present a problem, but when solids are added to the mix it can potentially raise pressure more than needed. If the barrels measure that small, then the solids can always be turned down to groove dia., but this is time consuming.
My opinion:
If you've got a nitro kodiak, then stick to softs only.
If solids are needed, then turn them down to groove dia.
Can be swaged down with a hydrolic press also.
.456 would be ---bare minimum--- for any .458 bullet. Smaller than this, and I'd not even shoot it at all.

"Faith in God and the Mauser"

DRSS-MEMBER

Posts: 129 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My brother had one of the Trail Guns Armoury doubles with the browned bbls. It shot great with several different factory and my handload.

Pedersoli advised us by e mail that the Kodiak would take any load safe in the new Marlin 45/70's.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote