Find
Notify
Tools

weights of some doubles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted
For kicks, I decided to weigh a few of my doubles. Calibrated, hanging electronic scale.

Chapuis 9.3x74R with Leupold Vari X II 2-7x scope on Rekknagel QR mounts: 8.44lbs

Sabatti 450/400: 9.82lbs

Sabatti 450 Nitro Express: 9.86lbs

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Why does the 450/400 weigh less than the 450? Do they have different diameter barrels?

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I havent taken the time to measure but to my eyes at a quick glance, the rib between the barrels seems a hair wider. I'll check that as well as individual barrel thickness/diameter tonight.
Of course the other and probably better explanation is more dense wood on the 450.

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. I'm sure the 450 kicks more. Do you like the 450/400 or the 450 better?

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I LOVE the 450/400.

In fact, if I could have just two doubles, it would be the 450/400 and 600 Nitro Express.

I like the 450 and yes it does kick more but not so much as to be bothersome. I think I posted on that somewhere - if I find the thread I will edit this and post the link.

OK - now to the reason for the weights - rib is essentially the same but the O.D. of the 450NE is 0.72" vs. that of the 450/400 which is 0.66". So, Sabatti didn't take the same piece of steel rod and drill a .410 vs. a .458 hole (which as you suggested woudl make the 450NE much lighter due to thinner walled barrels), they chose different sized rods or tubes to start with.

Paul

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Here is the link about some target shooting with my Chapuis and the Sabattis:

Some target practice