New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trijicon DOCTER red dot
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thinking about buying one of these Trijicon 3.5 MOA dot to try on my Heym PH.

Little confused about the Trijicon name, will these mount on the Heym just like the original Docer Optic models? Why are some called Trijicon's vs Docter Optics?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
add an on/off switch and call it burris

Posts: 6490 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
add an on/off switch and call it burris

The Burris mounts to the cut out built into the barrels on the Heym?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wolfie, I'd PM New_Guy to be sure before you buy anything.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good ideaSmiler

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I have a Doctor Optik on my Heym and a Trijicon on my Krieghoff. The Trijicon is the dual illumination with no battery. The Trijicon has an amber 7MOA dot. I worried about the size of the dot. No problem. I love not having to worry about batteries with the Trijicon.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
The Trijicon RMR 3.5 MOA is battery operated. The Trijicon 7 MOA is not. To mount the Trijicon on the rifle rib, the mounting platform that you buy for it (depending on the width of the rifle rib), grips side slots in the rib. In my case, I have the Talley mount system in two of my double rifle ribs and so the mounting platform grips into those slots. Ivan Carter has a Trijicon RMR for his Heym 600 NE and he had to have two side slots cut into his rib to use with the Trijicon. I have no knowledge about the Docter Optic red dot sight and can't comment on it at all. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm having 450/400 built (should be done in the coming weeks) and I had the builder dovetail cut the rib AND mill a small slot in the rib (parallel to the breach face, to accept the Trijicon RM57 mount. This mount is very similar to the mount Heym uses (if not the same). The dovetail cuts allow the RM57 to clamp to the rib, while the milled slot accommodates a pin on the underside of the mount that acts like a recoil lug. The reason for the elongated slot is so there is room for the pin to move side-to-side as the mount is tightened. If you look closely at the Heym's that are cut and milled for a reflex optic, it's quite clear.

With minor exception, all of the Trijicon RMR's require a mounting adapter. The Doctor Optic may or may not follow the same mounting hole pattern, but I cannot speak to that. I do know, thru some communication with Burris, that the FastFire III will fit the Trijicon RMR mounting adapters.

Trijicon is a USA based company. Doctor Optic is a Euro based company. There are some outlets for Doctor Optic, bit Doctor is very specific about warranty. If the optic is not purchased direct from Doctor, they will not honor the warranty - at least that's the way I read it.

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a Aimpoint on a Double Rifle...any experiences ?!

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh hell, I am even more confused now after reading those threads. I thought Heym put a cut out into the barrel which accepted the Docter Optic red dot? Do I need to buy the mounting adapter as well?
Did message Chris, hopefully he can chime in soon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If your Heym rib is cut for the mounting of a red dot you will need the mount that fits the Heym Rib.

Usually the Doctor Optic sight does not come with any type of mount. You then get the mount that fits your gun.

The Trijicon might come with a weaver type mount I do not know. The weaver mount will not fit the Heym rib.

Contact Chris at Heym USA, and he can tell you how to get the mount for either sight.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mboga biga bwana:
How about a Aimpoint on a Double Rifle...any experiences ?!

Aimpoint red dots are good sights, but the Doctor, Burris and Trijicon, are just so much smaller and lighter. They are perfect for any type of Double Rifle/Drilling,etc.

Also they automatically adjust for the light conditions.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can order a specific mounting platform for the Trijicon RMR from either Trijicon directly or from a place like SWFA. They have a number of different ones. I happened to need their mounting platform (RM57 is for a rib width of 11-12mm) for the narrower rifle rib. Others might need their platform available for a wider rib(12-14 mm). Still others might need a weaver type of mounting platform, etc. etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe: No need for confusion. Heym does not cut slots into the side of the rib that I know of. Ivan Carter and I discussed this and he had to have two slots cut into the sides of his 600 NE rib to accomodate the Trijicon RMR mounting platform that clamps into those slots. It is so easy with the RMR platform-I put it on, tighten it, hunt and shoot with it, and take it off, with ease. And so far, mine hold their zero quite well. I love the system. It makes hunting with and shooting a double rifle so much more enjoyable for those of us whose eyes have changed over time. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the new Heym's DO have the dovetail cuts and the elongated slot in the rib . . at least the Heym picture here does . . .

http://www.heymusa.com/

Unless you purchase a Trijicon or Doctor Optic WITH a base include (Weaver/Picatinny, ACOG mount) you WILL need to purchase an adapter.

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/...=Accessories&mid=RMR

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it'll help in tightening up those groups to match the regulation target too...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
You can have the rib cuts made on a new HEYM at the factory when you order it, or we can cut the ribs on older rifles here in the US.

Ivan's 600 was made before we started offering this option, so we had to cut his after the rifle was here.

FYI - the mounting plates we use for the Docter and Trijicon are not interchangable.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put a Burris Fastfire III on my 450 NE & really like it. I believe it is faster yet than the irons for my old eyes. I am pleased with the set up and seem to be shooting better as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much of a difference in height is there between these sights mentioned here and the original irons ??

Do those of you with them mounted on your doubles find much "adjustment" when mounting the gun to "find" the sight ?

Do any of you have any of these style of sights mounted on .500 class guns ?

Thank-you in advance,

Paul.

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I think both Mike Jines and Larry Shores have them mounted on 500NE rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"I think both Mike Jines and Larry Shores have them mounted on 500NE rifles."

Thanks Todd.

My concern is
a)will these sights take the jarring from the recoil produced,

b)also, having a gun where the stock was originally fitted for my use with original open sights will any/all of the above mentioned optics require the face to be "raised" off the stock enough that may lead to the comb belting the cheek ?

thanks again,

Paul.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Use Enough Gun for answering my question quite vividly on the "Talley Bases Question/ Searcy Rifles" thread, with pictures.

I don't know, I could be wrong, feedback welcomed but the mounting systems required for these sights look like they raise the the required eye-line to be substantially higher than compared with the level of sight through the irons ?

My V.C has been custom stocked and feels great when throwing up, the irons aligning instantly and instinctively with no facial movement or realignment required something I would be very hesitant to change.