Find
Notify
Tools

FOR YOU 450NE LADS..
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
As some of you know, I've done a bit of reloading for the 450 in both a Sabatti and now my Verney.

The Verney was regulated with factory ammo and it prints a lovey 3/4"@50 and exactly like the regulation target. I've also developed matching loads using Hornady bullets myself but I wanted a more proven bullet and below are my final loads that repeat pretty regularly, albeit I still keep canting the rifle off the bench a bit.

CEB 450gr Non-Con 101gr H-4831 MV 2170:

Hornady 480gr DGX 98gr H-4831 MV 2130

Woodleigh 480gr RN 100gr H-4831 MV 2150:

All rounds crimped with custom made Lee Factory Crimp die. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great shooting, Jorge. Love that caliber.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep I think you have a shooter!

Posts: 2832 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
That'll hunt for sure. Well done.

Mike

Posts: 21381 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

You have got to love a rifle that shoots like that!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Muzzle velocity is excellent! My regulation loads are in the 96 gr. range. Not quite to the magic 2150 fps!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Peter, I can get them to regulate at 96, especially the Hornadys, but velocity drops below 2100.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
As some of you know, I've done a bit of reloading for the 450 in both a Sabatti and now my Verney.

The Verney was regulated with factory ammo and it prints a lovey 3/4"@50 and exactly like the regulation target. I've also developed matching loads using Hornady bullets myself but I wanted a more proven bullet and below are my final loads that repeat pretty regularly, albeit I still keep canting the rifle off the bench a bit.

CEB 450gr Non-Con 101gr H-4831 MV 2170:

Hornady 480gr DGX 98gr H-4831 MV 2130

Woodleigh 480gr RN 100gr H-4831 MV 2150:

All rounds crimped with custom made Lee Factory Crimp die. jorge

.................................................................... tu2 Right on Jorge!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jorge you use a 12 or 14" pie plate to trace those circles..... dancing

I attribute Jorge's shooting skills to the fact that the planes he flew had guns and not missiles

Nice shooting now we gotta get you in front of something other than paper...

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Hub caps! Smiler,,torpedoes Harpoon & Maverick..

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

That looks like it maybe a groundhog rifle. I can tell from experience, they don't get up and run away. Great shooting.

Mike tu2

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Mike, I WILL test it on Ground Hogs in September! softs or solids Smiler ?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge like Buff you have to read each one differently In my vast experience hunting our Woodchucks here in Vermont the ones found in clover, unless anchored with your first shot tend to charge where as the ones found in meadow grass seem to absorb the first shot and not move either way. I think this can be attributed to the nitrogen content on the clover..... flame
Hot Barrels

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Smiler ... Serious question for you guys. Look at the Woodleigh target. They trend more in the vertical than either the CEBs or the Hornadys but do group very tightly. As I've said before I think it's me canting the rifle off the bench, but would bringing the velocity down help to correct this?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks to me like the Hornady groups the tightest. That is probably the bullet the gun was regulated with at factory. Bearing surface, diameter, length and many other factors have something to do with it. I've had guns that shot up and down with one bullet or load and side to side with another. None of your groups are bad so shoot the bullet you want to shoot and work up a load for that bullet.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
You are correct sir, rifle was regulated with Hornadys. I can usually get the CEBs (450gr) to shoot just as tight. I'm pretty happy with the groups but it's just me being anal retentive Smiler And just to give you further thought as to I think it might just be me canting the rifle of the bench, same Hornady load shot 30 secs later:

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could be your eyes too. With express irons you are doing pretty good. I wouldn't worry about it.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Eyes??? To a Naval Aviator! noooo! Well, I will be 59 next month Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

Whenever I get vertical stringing between barrels I can rest assured that it is a me not the rifle. All that shows is a maybe a slight jerk on the trigger or possibly a little flinch on the low round.

It happens to the best of us.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I'm sure that's what it is. Hell as long as they regulate that close I should just be happy.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Thanks! I'm sure that's what it is. Hell as long as they regulate that close I should just be happy.
tu2

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Great performance from that VC. clap

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote