THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Barnes banded solids and TSX
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes banded solids and TSX
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted
Has anyone had experience with the claim that these shoot to the same POI and can be used interchangeably?
Looking to start reloading for my 500 and like the idea of having a single powder/weight, with multiple bullets.
The next step would be finding them. Quick search on web yielded no results for in stock????

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used them in my .375 H & H, .416 Rigby, .458 Lott and .470 NE. In the .375 H & H, the Rigby and the .470 they shot pretty much to the same place (within an inch at 100 yards for the .375 and .416, and about 2" at 40 yards in the .470). I like them and wish I could find some 450 gr banded solids for my .458.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2770 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
Given lack of availability of Barnes solids, would one recommend CEBs? Just started looking at their website and it looks like they offer solutions although the solids and non are different weights.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What gun and caliber are you writing about?

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
They shoot same POI in my Searcy 470NE double - the CEB solids also shoot to the same POI with the same powder load of IMR 4831

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a look at North Forks.

One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
What gun and caliber are you writing about?

My Merkel 500 NE

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm using the CEB's in my Searcy .500 NE and they do a fine job.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:

Same loads for solids/non cons and same POI?

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BATFE is giving Barnes the run-around over their Banded Solids. ATF changed its mind and decided that the Barnes solids are "armor piercing bullets" and so far isn't giving Barnes an exception letter. Even the guys at CEB say Barnes is getting a raw deal. I asked the Barnes folks if they have given up but didn't hear back from them.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunteratheart:
Has anyone had experience with the claim that these shoot to the same POI and can be used interchangeably?

At least in my 378 Weatherby they shoot to the same POI at 100 yards.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunteratheart:
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:

Same loads for solids/non cons and same POI?

Hunter.......

I can't answer for Pagosa, but I am pretty sure that the solid/noncon are same POI in his guns......

When we were working on this, it was one of the very most important issues to me personally, bolt gun or double, did not matter. I had a sneaking suspicion that bearing surface and length of bullet was more important than WEIGHT for POI with both trauma inflicting bullet, and solid matchup, regardless of action type. So when I had Dan make the first NonCons, now the Safari Raptors, I told him to take our Solid, same bullet, put a .400 deep cavity, six sided, and forget about the weight. The NonCon or Raptor, is the same bullet as the Solid, just with the HP. Dan tweaked a few grains here and there to get weight to even number for the most part, but essentially the Solid/NonCon are the same bullet. My theory was that with the same load, they would be in the same hole, bearing surface and length being the same. On this, in 98% of the rifles I have ever worked with, double, bolt, lever, singles, this has been true. I have had a few lever guns that want to be slightly apart for whatever reason, but never more than an inch at 50 yards......

With the NonCon or Raptor being lighter, weight equals pressure.... Normally the HP is 5000-7000 PSI less than the solid. In my bolt guns I run another grain of powder or sometimes two, raise velocity 100-150 fps with the HP. This normally puts the NonCon or HP from 1/2 to 1 inch higher than the solid at 50 yards, windage good to go......

If using the same load, most of the time, most rifles, the NonCon will only be 25-40 fps faster, sometimes not that much, than the solid.....

Maybe that helps some.....

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
Thanks Michael. Pagosa and I hooked up thru PM as he is getting me some load info for his 500. Glad to hear some forethought went into the CEB making as you expressed. Looks like I'm going to have to give them a try. So would it be the 570 grain solid and 530 grain raptor that I would pair together? Is the CEB site typically the best place to buy from a price standpoint?
Thanks again.
Steve

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Steve.....

Excellent..... Pagosa will have some good stuff for you.... In addition, Sam and I did a LOT of load data, with pressure data on the 500 Nitro with CEB bullets as a primary. You can find that data here on my website if you want.....

http://www.b-mriflesandcartrid...a-Barrel-Strain.html

Yes, the 570Solid/530 Noncon or Raptor is the pair. However, saying that, Sam downsized the .510s, the same as I did a lot of the bolt gun B&Ms.... By that I mean, the performance is so good, that you do not have to have traditional weight bullets to get the terminal performance required, and in many many cases, you get superior performance with some of the lighter bullets at higher velocity. For the .510s, Sam did a 510 Solid paired with a 475 NonCon. The 510 solid has been proven many times now on elephant/buffalo, and Sam worked with the 475 NonCon on Australian buffalo and it was IMPRESSIVE beyond belief on them, including big brawny bulls. Fact of the matter, the 475 NonCon out performed the 530 on all counts.

Now this will blow you out I am sure, Sam and I were able in several Double Rifles to get 2350-2400 fps out of the 475 NonCon in 500 Nitro, and under max pressure. 2280-2300 fps with the 510 Solid under Max Pressures. Buffalo cannot handle that 475 NoNCon at anything like those velocities...........

These might also be worth checking out............ I can pretty much guarantee you that it will turn your 500 into something else all together.......... I have seen these at work......... and I have seen buffalo reactions to taking them, it's pretty awesome......... Pretty much like they are in shock and have taken something they can't handle...

Just FYI.... Not trying to convince you of anything.......... Just trying to assist.......

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
On my old .600 Wilkes the Barnes, Woodleighs, and 900-grain lead all shot to an equal target. But, a large caliber double with open sights is not the best judge of comparative accuracy.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
I have shot the 400 TSX and 400 BBS in my Heym, the rifle was requested to be regulated with the TSX. Both shoot so close as to not be able to tell which is which.

As far a buying said projectiles, good luck. I did buy loaded Barnes Vortex ammo in 416 Rigby, in both TSX and BBS. I have an order in at Brownells, for the Federal Premium Capeshok stuff, but I think Federal is not loading the Barnes anymore.

Could not find any 375 BBS solids, due to the mentioned ATF BS. Bought 300 grain TSX, Vortex, worked very well. Brought handfull of BBS solids I already had loaded, shot same as Vortex.

Interestingly, got a couple boxes of Norma 375 in Namibia, loaded with 300 BBS. Shot a little higher than the TSX, but as is usaully the case, I think it is because Norma loads ammo a little bit hotter than US makers. Was no issues at the short ranges I needed that for, but kept my supply of "normal" rounds for the longer shots. I did not want to have to do a new workup for a new round, with only 40 rounds to play with.

You may have to look at buying loaded ammo and just shoot that. Save brass, bring home.

I also think you might be able to buy BBS overseas, and bring it back with you, not sure.

Post edit - Sinclair Reloading has 500 grain TSX in stock right now. No BBS.

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 347 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote