Find
Notify
Tools

Merkle 450 NE #2
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i could be entirely wrong...

or did merkel even build it? looks like the sauer/merkel precursor to a m12 I have teh question into the seller "is this a merkel double rifle action, or a shotgun action" ..
looks very very close to my sauer royale grade shotgun.

the curves (inletting)in the sides of the action look like the shotgun, not the rifle .. the rifle/147e has a french curve and a more or less straight line down, at the cocking indicator, this one has two ecen curves, and the point of one of the curves is at the cocking indicator.

in fact, it REALLY does looks like my sauer, and I don't think its a merkel made rifle ..

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39685 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Perry, I agree with Jeffeoso, I think it is a double rifle someone has built on a Merkel action. If I'm not mistaken all the S/S actions, and many barrel sets made for shotguns, and double rifles in SUHL are made for the trade by Merkel. That includes Sauer, and Simpson. The merkel actions, and hammer forged barrel sets are sold to the trade outside SUHL as well! One maker right here in th good old USA! In any event, I believe this was made by someone here in the states, by re-barreling a shotgun!

If the work was done properly, then the rifle could be a hunter, for sure, if not.........WELL bewildered

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Ask the seller for a photo of the proof marks. That will tell the story.

Just looking at the gun it's tough to say... I've never seen a Merkel in this caliber, but I know enough about the European trade to say that most anything is possible and that stranger things have happened. That action shape is very "Suhl" and very old. So it could be a variety of things (including a factory Merkel), but only the proof marks can say for sure.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
seller replied
quote:
This is a sleeving of the Merkel 12 ga.action which is the same as Rigby now uses for their boxlock rifle.

476AR,

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Maybe internal sleeving by the weight of it, and I do not see any joint between the barrels and the block.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19367 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built this rifle and it was on display at the Houston shoot..Along with some Rigby DR's I have built or refinished. It shoots very well, regulated for 480 gr Woodleighs.

John Maples
"Old European Gunsmith"
DRSS

Posts: 34 | Location: Hunt, Texas & Pagosa Springs Co. | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shikarafar1:
I built this rifle and it was on display at the Houston shoot..Along with some Rigby DR's I have built or refinished. It shoots very well, regulated for 480 gr Woodleighs.

John Maples
"Old European Gunsmith"
DRSS

Looks nice.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19367 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
John
we where confused when it said merkel 450 ..

And, frankly, if You are building it, or built it, i bet its a steal and well done. Now, that we know you built it, i would say "cool, get it if you like\"

However, we have seen some BADLY done rifles here and at gun shows.. that are 12.5# and are "regulated" to 5" at 50 yards

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn, the price is right, and if the builder is prepared to stand behind it, I do not see a great risk, IF you are going to use it for it's intended purpose, rather than buying it as some kind of "investment".
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
If you search further into the category it will direct you to Cabelas. Did anyone notice that Cabelas is now carrying the Krieghoff in 450/400 3 inch?

Krieghoff 450/400 3inch

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
Here is the one you all need.double

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Just called. The parlor Rifle is already sold.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
Rusty
Too bad! After I finish my 44/40 double I want to build a 22lr double. Just got to get a deal on a 410 double.
I saw a 22 double new built in Saratoga a few years ago looked like alot of fun.
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have a 410 Stoeger Uplander taking a nap in my gun safe as a doner for a 22LR double.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CZ makes a nifty little 410 SxS that would be pretty interesting as a 22 double -- maybe a 357 mag...

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
those are the two guns I am looking at. Shoot alot of cowboy action and should come across a deal on one.
Dean