THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    9,3x74R - 270 gr Speer load recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9,3x74R - 270 gr Speer load recommendations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked up a bunch of Speer 270 gr bullets and was wondering if anyone had any load recommendations for them in a Chapuis.
Looking for some reduced loads for lots of range practice.
Thank you

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Check Reloading 9,3x74R - Ne450No2 's load is 59 gr of RL 15, at 2390fps for 270 Speer (he is out on Idaho Black bear/Grouse hunt I guess). H�ctor Carlos Roveda load: RWS cases; RWS 5608 primer; RELOADER 15 # 53 to 55 gr; Speer 270 gr; O.A.L. 3.596", Best concentration with Rel 15 # 55 gr...

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been working on a lighter load for my drilling and at the end of the session yesterday, I dropped the last two in my Chapuis. I was shooting at thirty-five yards in my back yard with open sites off sticks. Right, then left, one hole that looked just like the barrels, 55 grains of IMR4064 and the speer 270. I haven't chronographed the load yet, but it is near the starting load for 4064. I need to load up a box and take them to fifty and seventy five yards, but I was impressed. That was a lot better than Norma factory 286's so far.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a load that regulates for this bullet using IMR 4831. It shoots well. Bullet breaks up on impact with deer and piggies., Won't use it again. Unfortunate.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
52.0 grains of Varget works well in my Merkel. It will easily do minute of grackel at 100 yards, and it's easy on the nose.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killed small game, whitetail deer and pigs, including a 300 lb pig with my load of 59gr of RL 15 and the 270gr Speer bullet.

It has performed excellently. I will have to check my notes to give the exact velocity, I am in LA just now, but I would not hesitate to use this bullet for all animals under elk sized game.

For elk and up, and general use in Africa I would recomment the 286gr Woodleigh Soft or the 286gr Nosler Partition.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote