THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Sabatti Update - Range results
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sabatti Update - Range results
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Since last postring I have tried different bullets and powder combination. Rifle (450NE) is now shooting consistant R-L combos at 50 yards of 1.25" to 1.50" . Yet to be chronoed but looks like its close to ballpark in velocity as it is reggulating well.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Keep us posted. Big Grin I now have my Sabatti 500 NE in hand.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Mike,
what does it weigh

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3554 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
Mike,

What are you initial impressions of it?

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, what are overall impressions of the rifle. I was able to look at a 45-70 with ejectors and a 416 Rigby with extractors at the NRA Show and was impressed. Fit, finish and wood were very good and much better than expected. Balance was OK. The 45-70 on the smaller action seemed quite lively in its handling. I was impressed and think they have a good product and very good price. But I'd like to hear more shooting reports and wonder if they will hold up to lots of shooting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good R&D to you.

LionHunter- congratulations on your rifle. I have an interest in how these Sabatti rifles turn out. I think this is going to be my entry in to the larger caliber DRs. So I read carefully and do my best to uptake all of your experiences and knowledge.

A school teacher with champagne tastes, and a beer pocket book.

Posts: 46 | Location: South GA | Registered: 28 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Nganga & Cane Rat & all,

My initial impressions are that this rifle is the best buy on a DR available today. Is it perfect? No, it is too light and needs a better recoil pad for sure, but it appears to be a well made DR that Sabatti can be proud of. Great piece of upgraded figured walnut with hand checkering in an oil finish and the engraving (machined) is a well done Oak Leaf & Acorn pattern, better than seen on some more $$$ DRs.

I will be writing more about it as I go through it and shoot it. I will be adding a mercury recoil reducer to add to and manage the weight and a quality recoil pad as well.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will be adding a mercury recoil reducer to add to and manage the weight

Sissy boy! Smiler

A 9 1/2 pound 500! That should get your attention. Do you have a way of measuring its weight accurately?

So how much $ was it? (if you don't mind).

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
quote:
I will be adding a mercury recoil reducer to add to and manage the weight

Sissy boy! Smiler

A 9 1/2 pound 500! That should get your attention. Do you have a way of measuring its weight accurately?

So how much $ was it? (if you don't mind).

Will,
Us sissy boys with real teeth Wink need the extra weight, these things make your teeth bleed when there that light.

Nganga

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3554 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to rain on anybody's parade or anything, but that performance from a $300.00 NIB bolt gun would result in, shall we say politely, immense dissatisfaction.

I am looking for a catchy phrase...does "Approximate Accuracy" resonate?

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
mauser93,
You paid $300 for a new bold gun tht will throw a 500 grain slug out?

You still won't get the thrill.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mauser93:
Not to rain on anybody's parade or anything, but that performance from a $300.00 NIB bolt gun would result in, shall we say politely, immense dissatisfaction.

I am looking for a catchy phrase...

Bolt Rifle Trash is taken

Nganga

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
OK, took it to my electronic postal scale and tried to balance it. Looks like 9#8.5oz. Merc reducer brought it up to 9#14.8oz.. That's without the supplied scope mount or sling swivels, but there were two A-Zoom snap caps in the chambers.

Still a bit on the light side.

Cabela's cost with ejectors: $5,499.99 + $24 Shipping & Insurance. Extractor guns less $500.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

one of us
posted Hide Post
LionHunter, can you post some pictures? Thanks.

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
consistant R-L combos at 50 yards of 1.25" to 1.50"

I'd say that is damn good and better than most could shoot offhand anyway ... spare me the supershooter stories. Smiler

Any if that ain't good enough you're shooting at stuff WAY TOO FAR AWAY.

(If everyone was a whiz kid, how come there are so many wounded buff every year?)

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Wow. Price looks even better now that the performance data is in.

Cabelas has a 9.3x74R in their Gun Library for 2999. Same price for 45-70. Nothing bigger available at this time from Cab. None on gunbroker.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like maybe I did rain (a little) on some parades.

No, I've never paid $300.00 for a DG gun.

Look, you guys have what seems a great hobby. I read these threads all the time. Around these parts, there are plenty of DR enthusiasts, and plenty of DR's. One Browning Custom Shop 30.06 O/U (actually made by Lebeau-Courally) is just STUNNING.

Just not my hobby, that's all.

On reflection, maybe I better stop jerking you guy's chsains. A lot of DR's are VERY POWERFUL...

Good hunting!

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clayman

First chance you get try some 350gr Hounadys, with the same powder charge you are using for the heavier bullets.

This is my 75% rule.

The 350's should hit and regulate the same place as the heavier bullets.

You might have to go up or down a grain or three, but usually not.

Makes a great practice, deer, pig, black bear over bait, and if your double has a scope, leopard over bait load.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NE,

good advice, I am playing a bit with pistol bullets for the 480 Ruger in the Searcy 470 NE.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NE 450 No 2 : I tried the Hornady 350's as you had suggested earlier & I found that they shoot pretty much to same point of aim. I could only find FP's but they seem to be fine. I will look for some round nose soft points and try them as well. I have tightened my groups considerably using R 19 . I have still to chrono but will likely do so this week. If FPS is in ballpark then I have my DG load. New powder shrunk group from about 3.25 " at 50 yards to about 1.5" at 50 yards - thanks for your help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jerking you guy's chsains.

What are chsains? is that Bolt Trash code talk for I can't afford one?

Nganga

Formerly "Nganga"

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
quote:
consistant R-L combos at 50 yards of 1.25" to 1.50"

I'd say that is damn good and better than most could shoot offhand anyway ... spare me the supershooter stories. Smiler

awwww.. you are just jealous

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39679 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, Nganga. "Chsains" is Bolt Trash shorthand for "no way I am gonna' pay that," with an implication of, "Aren't those pointy things that come out the other end supposed to go where I pointed the rifle?"

It's principally a dialect, really, not unlike Ki-Swahili. Or Northern.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mauser93:
No, Nganga. "Chsains" is Bolt Trash shorthand for "no way I am gonna' pay that," with an implication of, "Aren't those pointy things that come out the other end supposed to go where I pointed the rifle?"

It's principally a dialect, really, not unlike Ki-Swahili. Or Northern.

Well fine...........just go back to your bolt rifle slum and get out of "Our Playground" then
dancing

Nganga

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So there...

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clayman

Nothing wrong with those Hornady 350 FN bullets at all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich

Those Hornady XTP's should work great on deer and pigs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have received photos of my 500NE , that has been delivered in Texas, now too get the darn thing out here, and Roger who got it for me, will be the first too break er in as well,

Got too thank him though for getting it for me

Cant wait though, the bushpigs better be wary

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

Posts: 512 | Location: South Africa, Mozambique, USA,  | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds great! Congrats.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Kwan-

Glad to hear of another purchaser of the 500 NE. Please have Roger post info when it arrives in his hands. I hope to range mine for the first time late this week with the Hornady DGS.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA