THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    * UPDATE* a strange one that joined the collection .. Kettner DR for Big & small game
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

* UPDATE* a strange one that joined the collection .. Kettner DR for Big & small game
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
So here's a strange one that joined the collection .. Kettner DR for Big & small game. 11mm & 22 lr.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2122 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Do you have it in hand yet? It would be interesting to see the chambers with the action open.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
Do you have it in hand yet? It would be interesting to see the chambers with the action open.
Hello Cougarz,

No, not yet. It will be a week or so before I get it in hand. I'm also interested to see the breach and muzzle.

Posts: 2122 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Dad (I still self identify as your son, can't wait to get all these double handed down!),

Love that Kettner, I had a Kettner hammer double rifle drilling, was very fun for a few years.

Does it specify which of the jillion 11mm and 22 cal each chamber is? I'm working an old double in 11x60 mauser, but assume this double is a newer cartridge with higher pressure.

Can't wait to see how it shoots as you develop loads. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Be patient son.

It will be a week or so before I get it in hand. I'm also interested to find out the calibers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One bbl is roughly half the size of the other bbl. Smiler

Hip

Posts: 1829 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd rather know one barrel is twice the size of the other.

Especially if I was hunting rabbits where there may be dangerous game.

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckstix:
Be patient son.

It will be a week or so before I get it in hand. I'm also interested to find out the calibers.

Smiler

Looking at the picture with the cartridge in the trap, maybe it is 11x60 mauser in that it has that rebated/cut back part of the base.

I was able to get some loaded black powder rounds from buffalo arms and empty brass, dies and shell holder from the various vendors like grafs, Midway, etc. and bullets from hawk. Haven't started reloading yet, but taking the nitro for black recipes from old Double Gun Journal articles.

Looking forward to learning more and thanks for sharing these journeys! The 700 nitro one is still my favorite. Thank you

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
One bbl is roughly half the size of the other bbl. SmilerHip
Hello Hipshot,
Both barrels are the same on the outside .. only the inside is smaller on one .. or bigger than the other.

quote:
Originally posted by mt Al:
Looking at the picture with the cartridge in the trap, maybe it is 11x60 Mauser in that it has that rebated/cut back part of the base.

I was able to get some loaded black powder rounds from buffalo arms and empty brass, dies and shell holder from the various vendors like Grafs, Midway, etc. and bullets from hawk. Haven't started reloading yet, but taking the nitro for black recipes from old Double Gun Journal articles.

Looking forward to learning more and thanks for sharing these journeys! The 700 nitro one is still my favorite. Thank you
Hello mt Al,
I have a double rifle in 11mm Mauser and have plenty brass, bullets, etc. (I swage bullets for 11mm) The 700NE saga is also one of my favorite projects. I still shoot it regularly.

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello All,

I got the rifle in hand today - it turns its NOT a 22 lr .... its 22 Hornet x 11x60 caliber.

It weighs 8 pounds 10.5 ounces - 25-1/4" barrels - Both Triggers are SET Triggers - Buffalo Horn Grooved Butt Plate - Nikon Prostaff Scope with BDC reticle - Clock Hand Cocking Indicatore - Manual Safety (non-automato) - All Original Finish both Wood and Metal.

Tomorrow I take it afield and test it.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. Thanks for posting the photos.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing and will be following along, especially if you share some 11x60 reload recipes!

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello All,

Here is a shooting update. I custom loaded both 22 Hornet ammo and 11mm Mauser ammo. (loads are shown on the targets) I fired the right 11mm barrel first, followed by the 22 hornet barrel. I fired 5 shots each barrel to zero the scope. After the 22 Hornet barrel was zero at 50 yds, I fired a 3 shot group with the 11mm barrel that went into a 1 inch group. Although left-to-right was good, the 11mm group was 10 inches low.

And now I understand the reason for the Nikon Prostaff Scope. The reticle is BDC = "Bullet-Drop-Compesator" that consists of a series of small aiming circles, below center, along the vertical wire. These circles are for reference "hold-over" for various ranges beyond initial zero. The aiming method I used is shown to the right of the target pictured below. Although the aiming was different for the 2 calibers, its easy to remember and use when hunting.

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing and the BDC makes perfect sense, wish I would have done that with a double I had that was WAY off vertically. The combined group is minute-of-critter for sure.

For the 11x60, do you put dacron or foam rod over the 4198?

Thanks for letting us follow along!

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mt Al:
For the 11x60, do you put dacron or foam rod over the 4198?
Hello mt Al.

I use foam backing rod for loading "all" calibers when the case is less than 90% full.

One of Us
Picture of CHIPB
posted Hide Post
Buckstix:

What is your source for the dacron backing rods? Thank you. Chip B.

Posts: 268 | Location: TUCSON, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle!

Assuming the Nikon is a 2nd focal plane, what power was used in your testing?

ClaMar

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHIPB:
Buckstix:

What is your source for the dacron backing rods? Thank you. Chip B.
Hello CHIPB,

Backing rod is an "open" cell foam rope and comes in 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", and 1" diameter rope. In most cases it weighs only 1 to 3 grains, and "exact" cut length is not a factor. I just eye ball it and snip it to length with a scissors. You can buy it in most hardware stores in 10 foot to 100 foot lengths.

quote:
Originally posted by ClaMar:
Nice rifle! Assuming the Nikon is a 2nd focal plane, what power was used in your testing?
ClaMar
Hello ClaMar,

I had the scope set at 7 power.