New
Find
Notify
Tools

just for fun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm new to this forum so I apologize if this has been posted before but I was curious as what is everyone's favorite double rifle?

" Knowledge without experience is just information. "

- Mark Twain

Posts: 141 | Location: santa maria, ca | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
what is everyone's favorite double rifle?

That's simple, HIS. Wink

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Easy...My favorite is my vintage Holland & Holland Royal in 338 Lapua. Very rare!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aussie, The choices between "favorite" and the brands we buy vary greatly, based on the prices attached to each. An H&H Royal would probably be at the top of everyone's list, but at the price of a modest home in most areas. For a new DR, the Merkel provides good construction and accuracy in the $10,000 range. The Chapuis and Verney-Carron add a bit f hand finishing and options in the $12,000-$18,000 range. A made-to-order Searcy boxlock will run from $10,000 up past $25,000 depending on the level of niceties selected. And if you want to go with the reputation of a Heym,$18,000 to $25,000 will be needed. All are good, solid, doubles of traditional design that will get the job done.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
all the ones i can't afford CRYBABY

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can assure you there's no meeting of
the minds on this!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite is a London Sporting Park 450-400 3 1/4. It is built on a Webley action and shoots the best of any doubles I've shot. All the old English guns are hard to beat.
My 2nd is either my Verney Carron 500NE or my Siace 45-70.
If it has 2 SXS barrels and shoots good I love them all.

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I need to shoot more of them before I can say that I have a favorite. But one of the sweetest doubles I've ever handled was cute little Purdy chambered in 9.3x74R. Jeeze what a sweet little rifle.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
My favorite is a London Sporting Park 450-400 3 1/4. It is built on a Webley action and shoots the best of any doubles I've shot. All the old English guns are hard to beat.
My 2nd is either my Verney Carron 500NE or my Siace 45-70.
If it has 2 SXS barrels and shoots good I love them all.

That is also my favourite double rifle! Sigh....! Big Grin

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The One I am lustin about,while I am shooting the one that I own.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My engraved Searcy in 470 NE, absolutely, positively, no question...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned just about all brands over the last 53 years, and I can honestly say I have liked them all, but some better than others. My favorite brand name has always been Westley Richards, but many of the German, and Belgian double rifles are very well made, but to many Americans the German rifles are not to their liking because of the Teutonic styling, but the shoot very well in my experience. The Belgian doubles very closely follow the English styling, and are my second choice with the German doubles third.

In the end if it has two barrels two triggers and is regulated properly, it can find a home in my gun vault.

........................ BOOM ...............

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote