Find
Notify
Tools

Best double in the world!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Angus Morrison
posted Hide Post
I own your rifle's twin, made 1910 but mine is rechambered, reproofed, and reregulated to .375 Flanged Magnum.

What year is your new acquisition?

Here's our cabinet's queen,

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
In my happy hands!

Picked it up today. I'll shoot it tomorrow and get some good pictures, etc. next week. It is all I hoped it would be.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Congrats Earnest!

Mike

Posts: 21388 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
She's a beauty, but didn't need to tell you that. I enjoy her twin most days, pull it out and just look it over, no doubt you'll enjoy the same. Scotch assists.

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful new acquisition. The older pre-war English are the best.

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
In my happy hands!

Picked it up today. I'll shoot it tomorrow and get some good pictures, etc. next week. It is all I hoped it would be.

So when are we going to Burkina ? I can hold the shooting sticks! Smiler

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
2018?

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Jealous!

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1023 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know, Judge, you don't seem all that happy in that picture...

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9836 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Good show, ernest!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I shot the rifle this morning.

Most promising!

Elevation and windage are just right so I don't have to fool with the sights. Triggers are smooth with no creep... maybe a bit over 4 pounds. The safety is automatic, an irritation, but since I won't be hunting lions or tigers or Viet Cong, I'll let what's been done for 109 years just be.

The only ammo I had was ancient Kynoch stuff that must have been 30 years older than me. Even with what I thought was a hangfire, all six shots grouped in a pie-shaped cluster in the top of the 8" diameter circle. Maybe 3.5" group???

I was shooting off-hand. I actually shot one of the pair into 1", but I'm not claiming that the vagaries of double gods didn't just line up right. In any event, I think I can reduce that to 2" when I shoot from a standing rest (or just learn to shoot better off-hand Big Grin ) .

The right is a bit to the right and the left, to the left, as should be. No un-crossing regulation battle forthcoming.

Maybe on Monday morning I can shoot minute of a whitetail at my farm? That'd be quite nice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, You've been waiting for awhile for it.

Nice looking rifle.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same ammunition situation for mine, cracked an ancient box of Kynoch for the first shoot of the Royal, one didn't light up. Hundred yards offhand at bottom, works for me. They point like a dream eh Judge?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That'll do, Judge. Congrats on a great rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TRULY a dream gun! Congrats, and enjoy!
Cheers
Rick

DRSS

Posts: 707 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge,

Does it need a little brother?

I doubt that estimate will buy it.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9836 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was shooting off-hand. I actually shot one of the pair into 1",

Sounds like the two of you were made for each other! Congrats on a fine acquisition Ernest!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7541 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
I shot the rifle this morning.

Most promising!

Elevation and windage are just right so I don't have to fool with the sights. Triggers are smooth with no creep... maybe a bit over 4 pounds. The safety is automatic, an irritation, but since I won't be hunting lions or tigers or Viet Cong, I'll let what's been done for 109 years just be.

The only ammo I had was ancient Kynoch stuff that must have been 30 years older than me. Even with what I thought was a hangfire, all six shots grouped in a pie-shaped cluster in the top of the 8" diameter circle. Maybe 3.5" group???

I was shooting off-hand. I actually shot one of the pair into 1", but I'm not claiming that the vagaries of double gods didn't just line up right. In any event, I think I can reduce that to 2" when I shoot from a standing rest (or just learn to shoot better off-hand Big Grin ) .

The right is a bit to the right and the left, to the left, as should be. No un-crossing regulation battle forthcoming.

Maybe on Monday morning I can shoot minute of a whitetail at my farm? That'd be quite nice.

Ernest: Natchez has a sale on Nosler 375 Flanged stuff. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Earnest. Wish you a great hunt that!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given this is about exactly your rifle, seems appropriate,

http://www.morrisonarms.com/20...ter-to-a-lost-world/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey old timer,
stick that thang in a box and let me bloody it on some Texas whitetail..I will send you a full report on how it did and I'll hang on to to it until my next journey to Tanzania, I promise I'll get it back to your before 2030 AD..I sorta like that gun and promise not to carry it in my saddle scabbard more than one elk hunt. If it works out I'll take ya elk hunting. tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What do I think? Hmmm...

Judge,
I think you slammed the outhouse door plum near off the hinges with that their limey shooter you have there... Smiler

In truth I am happy for you. I hope you make good use of it and that it does not stay in the vault but is your companion on walks around the property. I hope your time together is golden and I wish that your memories are recorded in technicolor...

From one Gentleman Farmer to another all the best.

Best Regards, Matt Garrett
Chesapeake, Virginia

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Midway just got in a few boxes of .375 N.E. 2 1/2" ammo. Bought it all!