Find
Notify
Tools

I love My Blaser S2!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
Just got back from the range. I know you guys think I am crazy but I really love my 470 Blaser S2. The Blaser critics make some very good points. It's a big, heavy gun and doesn't handle as well as my other doubles and the auto safety (if you can call it that) was probably not a good idea. However, it has a stunning piece of wood on it and it shoots lights out. The finish on the barrels is very tough and like all Blasers, it has the the best scope mounting system ever devised. In addition, if I wanted a 500 NE, I could simply buy another set of barrels and they would fit right on my gun.

Maybe I am so partial to this gun because it was my first double. I know many don't agree but for a guy who is buying his first double, I would highly recommend a Blaser. In addition to being hell for stout with the strongest locking mechanism on the market, you can pick them up at a very attractive price. I think I gave $8500 for my 470 brand new in the box. For anyone looking for a relatively inexpensive first double, I recommend a Blaser. The 500/.416 would be about ideal. It's built on a slightly smaller frame. On the large frame gun, the 500 is a better pick than the 470. The 500 is just a bit lighter. Depending on the wood, it comes it at just over 11 pounds, right where a 500 ought to be.

Good luck and good hunting to all.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, I would not be at all averse to having an S2 in 500-416 as a carry gun for Africa, wile someone else carries my 13 1/2 lb 577 :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I guess that is okay. Some guys like fat girls too. Big Grin

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Mike:

I do kinda like curvy girls!

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully, Dave, there is room for one more fan of the Blaser S2. I enjoy mine as well. (And, yes, I do like "more curvey girls" also)

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Seems to be an interesting correlation developing here. By any chance, do you two like Spam or potted meat? Eeker

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
rotflmo Mikey, I DO like Spam. Heck we used to fry it up all the time in the duck blind. Wink

My S2 is pretty heavy. I wouldn't want to carry it too far but I do really like the gun. I wish I had a set of 500 NE barrels for it. For a carrying gun, my K-gun or my Chapuis would be a better choice but then again, my days of long walks are pretty much over.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
This is all becoming much clearer to me now. Wink

Mike

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Dave, I will say that the Blaser is a very versatile DR. If ever in emergency need of a windshield wiper, you can just pop off the Blaser plastic bottom rib and you're good to go! Big Grin

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
For the record, Spam and potted "meat" are two entirely different foods. Spam is made from pork meat. Potted meat is made from "meat" from some species of animal, that never came close to a bone, if you get my meaning. I like Spam but would not eat potted meat; read the label and you will see why. Spam is short for "spiced ham".
Oh, Blasers? At least they are side by sides.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Potted meat is made from "meat" from some species of animal, that never came close to a bone, if you get my meaning. I like Spam but would not eat potted meat; read the label and you will see why.

Any food product that includes lips and other similar ingredients is not for me. Sort of like the S2, built out of the left overs from real rifles. Cool

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Dave if you are happy, then that's all that counts! And fried Spam sandwiches are great, too!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Dave if you are happy, then that's all that counts! And fried Spam sandwiches are great, too!

Well stated Rusty!

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Just got back from the range. I know you guys think I am crazy but I really love my 470 Blaser S2. The Blaser critics make some very good points. It's a big, heavy gun and doesn't handle as well as my other doubles and the auto safety (if you can call it that) was probably not a good idea. However, it has a stunning piece of wood on it and it shoots lights out. The finish on the barrels is very tough and like all Blasers, it has the the best scope mounting system ever devised. In addition, if I wanted a 500 NE, I could simply buy another set of barrels and they would fit right on my gun.

Maybe I am so partial to this gun because it was my first double. I know many don't agree but for a guy who is buying his first double, I would highly recommend a Blaser. In addition to being hell for stout with the strongest locking mechanism on the market, you can pick them up at a very attractive price. I think I gave $8500 for my 470 brand new in the box. For anyone looking for a relatively inexpensive first double, I recommend a Blaser. The 500/.416 would be about ideal. It's built on a slightly smaller frame. On the large frame gun, the 500 is a better pick than the 470. The 500 is just a bit lighter. Depending on the wood, it comes it at just lover 11 pounds, right where a 500 ought to be.

barf

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Todd:

I know you can't compare a Blaser with a VC but remember, the Blaser is about half the price. For a guy just getting into a double, it's a great pick. Also, I think it is a great pick in a 500 NE because it is a bit on the heavy side and a for me anyway, a 10.5 pound 500 is about as much fun as a bad divorce.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
You Blaser boys really should lighten up a bit!

If you date the ugly girl, ya gotta be willing to take some ribbing!! hilbily

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave see what you/we started? These prissy luddites! Fried spam is good. And yes, I have been known to eat potted meat. It damned sure ain't any worse than the c-rats we had in the Corps. Or some of the mystery meat that I have been fed overseas.
And I honestly believe they make all the Blaser S2's out of new made parts.
Ya'll are right in that, it isn't as pretty as my Searcy but it sure is a shooter.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Yup, they shoot great. Todd, we're pretty used to the ribbing. Wink

Guys, I live out here in Nebraska and we consider "mountain oysters" a delicacy. Smiler

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dve,
"Consider?", you mean they aren't???

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

Maybe I am so partial to this gun because it was my first double. I know many don't agree but for a guy who is buying his first double, I would highly recommend a Blaser. In addition to being hell for stout with the strongest locking mechanism on the market, you can pick them up at a very attractive price. I think I gave $8500 for my 470 brand new in the box. For anyone looking for a relatively inexpensive first double, I recommend a Blaser. The 500/.416 would be about ideal. It's built on a slightly smaller frame. On the large frame gun, the 500 is a better pick than the 470. The 500 is just a bit lighter. Depending on the wood, it comes it at just lover 11 pounds, right where a 500 ought to be.

barf

Can't say it better than that...

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yup, they shoot great. Todd, we're pretty used to the ribbing. Wink

The plastic bottom rib?

sofa

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Having eaten tons of C rats and MREs, I can assure that none of them contained anything as unpleasant as potted meat has in it. We don't have a Haggis ration in the U. S. Army.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Having eaten tons of C rats and MREs, I can assure that none of them contained anything as unpleasant as potted meat has in it. We don't have a Haggis ration in the U. S. Army.

As someone who has eaten tons of C rats and MRE's myself, I can assure you that none of them were as distasteful as a Blaser of any make!

barf

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Kudos to the S2 crowd for being good sports. I don't speak much of it any more . . . but I once owned an S2.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Kudos to the S2 crowd for being good sports. I don't speak much of it any more . . . but I once owned an S2.

Say is isn't so! First the Ford confession. Now this! faint

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I consider myself older and wiser now. Live and learn. As Gomer Pyle would say, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
It's about Shumba time isn't it Mike?!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blaser would go broke if it wasn't for those that are easy to please. dancing

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is going to get ugly if it hasn't already.

Posts: 10376 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
It's about Shumba time isn't it Mike?!!!

One week from today.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Lavaca:

Don't worry. We Blaser guys can take it. It's time for the Blaser guys to come out of the closet. We're here, we know our guns are queer but we love them anyway! clap

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lavaca:

It's time for the Blaser guys to come out of the closet. We're here, we know our guns are queer clap

Well ... Ummm ... Yeah!!! coffee

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Todd:

When you get your .577, can I come down and shoot it a couple of times. I really want to shoot a .577 or a 600. I keep thinking I'll get back and shoot one that Biebs has but he doesn't keep them long enough!

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Any time Dave! Be my guest. If you come to DSC, we'll make it happen!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike:

I do kinda like curvy girls!

quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
(And, yes, I do like "more curvey girls" also)

Hey guys Mike didn't say anything about curves! He said FAT!!!!

.............................................................. jumping animal

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Mac:

We think of our Blasers as kind of the Kim Kardashians of the double rifle world. Curves in all the right places. dancing

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac
OK , I'll be honest, I like fat girls. Easier to please and more comfortable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk about a thread getting off track!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
We think of our Blasers as kind of the Kim Kardashians of the double rifle world. Curves in all the right places.

Kim, hmmm Wink . Sounds mighty good to me Big Grin

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,
Did you notice that Mjines had his head down, hidden in his hands, when he came clean? And I think Todd is just jealous cause they won't sell him one.......