posted Hide Post
Dom Perignon or Bollinger? Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dom Perignon or Bollinger?

Hey jorge, what in the world does that mean, did you get it or not? Smiler

Malek

Good hunting/shooting and God's best

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It means I have a Air-Way-Bill and that it will be in the US next Tuesday. Needs to then clear customs and off it goes to live in Florida

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken:

Thanks for the explenation, that puts my mind at ease now Wink

Malek

Good hunting/shooting and God's best

Best regards

Malek

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Dom Perignon or Bollinger? Smiler

If Ken is buying, whatever is more expensive Big Grin

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Jorge, The hell with that champagne go buy two boxes of Hornady ammo in 450 's and christen that new boomer.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Rifle--hope she shoots as good as she looks.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
This is why I just love AR. Everyone is so happy for Jorge and his new rifle and we can all join in the celebration! grweat stuff & good luck with the rifle.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11249 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Did you get it yet?

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
:::SIGH::: not yet. Believe me y'all will know!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
I heard that it was dropped whilst boxing for shipment. Very unfortunate crack at the wrist. Should be corrected within 3 months. shocker

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Frowner, then again it IS the government that runs Customs!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OH NO, A Birth Defect! horse

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Rifle is in Ken's hands men and shortly to the UPS guy. I'll have it Monday!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge...DON"T let UPS have it...they trash guns and related shipments...or they disappear...go FED-EX or USPS Insured Air Mail...they both deliver!! I am serious!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2677 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Too late, UPS delivery Tuesday to my local gun shop. I had an FFL for twenty years and used UPS almost exclusively and nver had an issue.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I usually wait at my FFL for the UPS truck to arrive dancing

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, those were the good l days...not anymore...I can tell you some horror stories about the flying of guns too....
Did you see my e-mail about Lisa contact...lost it in an e-mail crash...I am still pondering and might make a deer hunting trip to TX in Sept?? Met the former owner in Bend two weeks ago...he liked the ol Wilkes...
Good Luck on your delivery and we'll all be expecting shooting report...and of course PIX!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2677 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
I usually wait at my FFL for the UPS truck to arrive dancing

Camping out. I'll show up with a box of doughnuts and coffee for the staff and then sit in the corner Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Has the eagle landed? salute

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Well men it's here and it's everything I expected. Two things stand out: I have NEVER had a gun fit me so well and proof-positive that getting measured and measured correctly is an absolute must. The other is the target. I took a pair of calipers and measured the holes center to center and they are within .001 of what the barrel separation is. Hopefully I can shoot it as well.

I'll have to retake the pics as they really suck and not do the cch justice. The CCH is very subdued but in the light of day the colors really come to light. On my scales it came in right at 10.15lb.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Jorge! That is a great looking rifle.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Congrats!! tu2 Can't even see the crack in the wrist. Big Grin And yes, the pix do suck. Smiler

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
UPS Delivered!! Whew, I am glad...I didn't want to jinx your arrivl!!

Congratulations...what a neat rifle!! Makes the wait worth while.

Where did yo have the measurements done...with Ken at a show...at the shop, etc?? Yes, it works, everything else becomes a compromise when it fits like a glove...I'll bet you shoot it well...watch out Vintagers!!

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:
Congrats!! tu2 Can't even see the crack in the wrist. Big Grin And yes, the pix do suck. Smiler

:::SIGH::: sorry! I promise better soon!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Jorge, Congrats on a fine double.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Cant wait to see the good photos. How is the wood?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11249 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
beer tu2 jumping dancing

Excellent!

Congratulations and good hunting!

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Congratulations! Cant wait to see the good photos. How is the wood?

Lots of straight grain and not too much marbling. Just right for a big bore I'd say. If you go to the start of the thread you can see the action in the white and here's a good closeup of the wood:

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
There are some deer feeding on acorns where the pop-up blind is. They are patiently awaiting a certain retired Navy guy to shoot them and make some good suppers on the grill. (I'll pass on two of us in there again, however!)

Season begins Oct. 22 and I expect you to bring the V-C and some softs.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Count on it!!!! thanks!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Jorge...Need another JAX layover to see your new baby

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Very nice, congrats.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:

Where did yo have the measurements done...with Ken at a show...at the shop, etc??

At both Dallas and SCI I have the V-C custom shop manager available to take stock measurements.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jorge:

Beautiful rifle, worth the wait, hope you enjoy on your next hunt be it after white tails at judge's invitation or on your next African Safari after them buffs.

Sure thing, you will have lots of stories to tell and wonderful hunting memories to share.

beer

Malek
Good hunting/shooting and God’s best

Best regards

Malek

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Incidentally below is a cut and paste from another website by somebody who apparently knows this craft and I'd be interested in hearing your comments:

"It is worth underlining that the side by side double action of the Atelier Verney-Carron has an exceptional design: instead of having a single hook between the barrels, as is common in the old and common designs, it has 3 parallel hooks which provide for an in line resistance to the opening efforts when a round is fired from either barrel.

This break-action was designed by Paul Demas who had previously designed the Chapuis action which has 2 parallel hooks. When he designed the Azur with a 3rd parallel hook, Demas made the ultimate step forward: the design can be seen as perfect. No action can be stronger.

I consider the Verney-Carron Azur action with 3 hooks to be the finest design for double rifles. Definitely the type of action I would want on a double rifle for serious big game.

jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Well Jorge,
I can only say that Joshua has put nearly 5,000 full-house rounds through his V-C and will be at Vintagers in a couple of weeks putting some more. Per his prior post, even after all of these rounds his Verney-Carron is as tight and on-face as the day he bought it.
Sounds strong enough for me. tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge:

Looks like it is time to change your signature line on your profile from "On order" to "Delivered"!

Congratulations.

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Done! Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Glad to see the finished rifle Jorge. It seems retirement (semi anyway) is treating you well. It's apparent you already enjoy this double and you'll have to let us know how she shoots.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote