New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best caliber choice?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will start searching for my first double later this year. I may never go to the Dark Continent because of back and back related problems. I have bolt rifles in 450 Ackley Magnum, 458 Lott, and am in the process of building a 416 Rigby.
I have not researched this yet and do not have a handle on it.
Thanks Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
450 3 1/4" NE. You already have the bullet selection, and IMHO it's the best combination of power, gun weight, and moderate recoil (read "huntability") there is. Steeped in "Old African" tradition, as well.

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,
I believe that you are probably right. With 3 neck surgeries, and 2 back surgeries, I probably don't need any more recoil than that.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
If you ever do make it to Africa I'm with biebs on the 450 but if not a 9.3x74 will handle anything on NA and especially since you live in TX the 9.3 is a hog killing machine.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Even though the flavor of the month club is promoting the 450 there still are several orders of magnitude more 470's than 450's and always will be. The 450 offers nothing the 470 can't do better.

A 470 can be made just as light as a 450, but no one makes a lightweight 470 or 450. My one pound Glock 9mm operates at a higher pressure than my 470 but somehow the 470 still needs to weigh ten plus pounds. It's insanity!

Dies, brass, and ammunition will be easier to find for a 470 but the 450's .458 bullets wins one for the flavor club!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should have my 9.3X62 bolt gun real soon. It is being rust blued at this time so I'm kinda covered there.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is hard to select the best caliber for a double unless you know it's intended purpose. What is yours?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Power wise not sure if there is any difference between a .470 and .450. They both toss out 500 grain slugs at about 2,100 fps.
.470's are certaintly more popular but with the "reintroduction" of the .450 I think sales will continue to climb due to many bullets for sale.
My money went for the .450 but I was very tempted to go with the .450/400 but it didnt seem a big enough step up from my 9,3x74R.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
465H&H,
I have a tremendous "want", but not a need for any of my big calibers. I shoot them at the range and sometime for hogs. They are more for my satisfaction only.
I hope you understand where I'm coming from.
Butch

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Butch, 450-400 3". gets my first vote.

Ifr you hust want to kull deer and pigs, 30-40 Krag, w/220s. tu2

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Butch,
Most 9.3X74Rs are light weight and have a sharp recoil to them.

Since I have a 450/400 3 inch I am biased.
Using RL-15 in these NE loads will help reduce the recoil.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500/416!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigfats
posted Hide Post
Ditto 450/400 NE

Jim

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Yeah, if you are just dinking around with it, go the 450/400 route. Nostalgia in spades. And a heck of a lot less recoil.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
465H&H,
I have a tremendous "want", but not a need for any of my big calibers. I shoot them at the range and sometime for hogs. They are more for my satisfaction only.
I hope you understand where I'm coming from.
Butch

Then get what ever caliber you "want". Only you can decide that.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This maybe a dumb thought but for the cost and time involved would anyone suggest Butch buy a Ruger No1 in 450/400 just to play with. Are these offered in 450 NE? Could sell them later and still only be out chicken feed compared to a double.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I understand that the bodinton series just came out in 450 NE.. It's going to be very popular especially when the regular ones come out sans the name ect.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.458 Win.

Plenty of power, easily loaded down.

Factory ammo will be available any place that needs such power. Anyone buying or inheriting it later will appreciate that.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
450 and 458 doubles seem harder to find in the "lower" price range doubles. (and you know what I mean; the term lower is relative. If you are trying to avoid recoil, get the 450-400; it doesn't kick a bit in a Krieghoff since they are so heavy, and John Taylor says they have the most penetration of all the Nitros. I know from hog hunting, it will literally BLOW them down with any body hit. Of course so would other nitros with soft noses, but again, recoil is nil. But, the availability of .458 bullets is better than .410s....Get several Ruger #1s in each caliber.

Posts: 17179 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
450/400 3".

Works great on deer, wild pigs, caribou, black bear, zebra, and baboons.

Also, if you do get to Africa, it will handle the big stuff,cape buff lion and elephant.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Butch,

The 450-400 is tough to beat. Mine is a 3 1/4" and is a blast to shoot. Not much recoil.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could change my mind, but it looks like it wil be a variation of the 450-400.
Thanks

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yep, the 450-400 3" is my vote!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
butchlambert,

Are you decided on NEW or USED and NEWER vs. VINTAGE? My caliber is ballistically

equal or better to the 3" version as an FYI. Enjoy the selection process.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of our forum members will be making from scratch double rifles. It will probably be a year before the first prototype is available.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
450/400 will be my next rifle as well and plan on ordering it within a few months.
Can't decide on who will build it yet as I am still waiting on delivery of my Searcy 450 NE and want to judge it in person for a few months before considering another. Have narrowed it down to Searcy, Heym, or VC.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Butch order your rifle with 26 inch barrels. YOu will never regret it!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the limitations you face and the stateside use you outline, I would have the double rifle made in 303 and equiped with a good set of QD mounts.

Editted to add: Or maybe in 30-30, with a set of good QD mounts.

And 26" barrels!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
If Africa/DG is not in the plans, I think it would be tough to beat a 9,3x74 Chapuis. Great calibre for anything in the US and a fine rifle. If Africa happens, the same rifle will work in a pinch and be much more practical stateside than a .450 or bigger.

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
450/400 3" for my first vote, 450 3 1/4 for my second vote.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
The 450/400 is a great round but it has been eclipsed by the more modern .500/.416. The .500/.416 is the very definition of what a modern double rifle caliber should be. It has a nearly 15 degree shoulder and it regulates at around 2330 fps with a 400-410 grain bullet which exceeds traditional double rifle velocity by 9%. The .500/.416 is the PERFECT DOUBLE RIFLE CARTRIDGE!. Get a .500/.416. It won't let you down and if you are already shooting a .458 Lott and a .450 Ackley Magnum, the recoil will be no problem. tu2

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch will probably not hunt Africa. This is my situation as well so this is something I understand.

The 500/416 seems to approximate the 416Rigby in a double. That would make the 500/416 an ideal african big game round. It is a new design and lacks that old romance, but I believe Dave is right in that this really appears to nail the ballistic sweet spot in killing vs handling. Proven by years of 416 Rigby use. No Hornady ammo though.

I also believe, the old 404Jeffrey 2100fps loading and the 450/400 while appropriate for much if not all African hunting is ideal for biggest baddest game in North America. If you dont plan to hunt Africa this would be a more traditional and practical choice. Hornady ammo available.

Or, if it was me, and I had the bucks, I might go as big as I could handle just for fun, even considering a 500NE (Hornady loaded) or 577NE ($$$ ammo).

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I received a monthly e-mail from Heym NA last week. They have a nice 88 PH 450 / 400 (3") with what appears to be upgraded wood and 26" tubes. If I recall about $17K.
Click on their web site.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
The 450/400 is a great round but it has been eclipsed by the more modern .500/.416. The .500/.416 is the very definition of what a modern double rifle caliber should be. It has a nearly 15 degree shoulder and it regulates at around 2330 fps with a 400-410 grain bullet which exceeds traditional double rifle velocity by 9%. The .500/.416 is the PERFECT DOUBLE RIFLE CARTRIDGE!. Get a .500/.416. It won't let you down and if you are already shooting a .458 Lott and a .450 Ackley Magnum, the recoil will be no problem. tu2

I agree that the 500/416 is a great round. It will some day be a standard as the 470 is today. For me the trade up from my 450/400 isn't worth the extra recoil. I bought a 450/400 instead of a 470 because of recoil issues. If recoil isn't an issue then by all means get the 500/416.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend the .600 NE. My rifle works so great with everything including down loaded ammo that still regulated I may sell all of my other doubles and just have a .600 or two or three. (But then again I'm a bit one-sided on the caliber). The bigger the bore the more forgiving as to regulation so the .600 will make a fine deer rifle!
Keep smiling, all.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
How does one edit typos in our posts?
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recoil is an issue with me. I've grown past the macho stage. I only have to satisfy myself. I had rather shoot something that is second hand to me. If it were to be a safe queen the 500-416 would be great.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Cal, in the bottom right of your posts box theres a folder with a pencil eraser on the right of it. Click there.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First, let me say I've never owned or fired a double rifle. But that doesn't stop me from enjoying learning about them.

After reading all of Butch's posts, about the only caliber he isn't covered by is the 375 H&H. Either the flanged or the belted would seem to fit the requirements you're looking for.

Joe A.

Posts: 151 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2006Reply With Quote