THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Field Grade is back at $8,750.00
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Field Grade is back at $8,750.00
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful arm at a great price. Are your .470's regulated with the 500 @ 2150 fps? Thank you.

Randy

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Labdad,
Butch tells me that his rifles are regulated with 106 grains of IMR 4831( I Believe that is the correct powder) and they chrono at around 2250. I have not had the opportunity to chrono mine yet but will shortly and will post what I get out of an Oehler.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wingnut,

Thank you.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:

A left handed Searcy for less than $10 G's, that's tempting me to skip one trip to Africa.

A quality left hand double for less than $10k is hard to find from any manufacturer.

Cheers
Jack

Posts: 80 | Location: Queensland. Oz | Registered: 08 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Labdad,
I indeed took my Searcy .470 out to shoot today with my Oehler chronograph. For what it is worth, I got the following results. All loads were loaded with an RCBS electronic scale and then transferred to an RCBS balance beam to make sure they all Had exactly 106 grains of IMR 4831, Jameson brass and a fed 215 primer.
Woodleigh 500 gr soft = 2234
Woodleigh 500 gr Solid = 2247

Barnes 500 gr TSX 2245

CEB #13 500 gr Solid = 2256
CEB 460 gr Non-Con = 2291

I didn't test them for accuracy but will within the next couple of weeks. Will get back to you.
I had one poster say that they didn't get to 2100 fps and it had me concerned for energy but they certainly do get the velocity that he states. Damn, that competes with my .458 Lott.
Rick

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sent the order form and deposit check today.

Caliber 450 31/4.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Pago:

What is the barrel length on your 470 and how does it regulate at that velocity?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,
To be sure, I'd have to measure. I assume that they are 24" barrels. As to the regulation, I haven't shot it on paper for regulation yet. Will do that next week and let you know. That load is Butch's regulation load so I assume that it will regulate just fine. Pretty warm. He also said if I thought it was too much that I could back the load off to 104 grains and that would produce around 2150. Will post the results as soon as I get it done. Hell, with the velocity, I no longer need a .458 Lott

Dave, I measure the barrels at lunch and they appear to be 24" barrels. Getting just a little cratering on the primers but Butch swears by it. As soon as I shoot it on paper, I will let you know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have decided to pull the trigger and order a left handed .500 .I,m located in Canada and will not be able to be measured for stock fitting.So I was wondering if you Guys had any advice on this point.Also does the fact that this rifle will not have ejectors or sear interceptors make it a poor choice for a first timer,s intro to this type of rifle?

Posts: 45 | Location: saskatchewan,canada | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ejectors and sear interceptors are not needed. Buy the rifle and enjoy it. It's a wonderful choice for novice or experienced DR shooter.

Posts: 17288 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kestrel
Go to Searcy's webbsite and download the order form. It includes a measurement form.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wingnut,

Thanks for the leg work. Will give the load a try.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kestrel:
I have decided to pull the trigger and order a left handed .500 .I,m located in Canada and will not be able to be measured for stock fitting.So I was wondering if you Guys had any advice on this point.Also does the fact that this rifle will not have ejectors or sear interceptors make it a poor choice for a first timer,s intro to this type of rifle?

A man after my own heart Smiler l two are thinking of doing the same as you did. And have the same questions going through my head. Good to see another lefty getting out there.

Cheers
Jack

Posts: 80 | Location: Queensland. Oz | Registered: 08 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kestrel:
I would order one with Turkish walnut.I think I`ve seen some with Californian and don`t like the look.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Labdad,
You're welcome. I wanted to know for myself anyway and had to see if that cannon was gonna rip all my shoulder surgery apart. (it didn't) and the velocity was just about what Butch told me it would be.
Kestrel,
the order form is how I got measured for the new wood on my .470. I did ask him to add about 1/4 or 3/16" to the wood on the .500 that I ordered. Still getting a little finger tap from the front trigger, not as bad as it was but enough to let me know about it. I guess I'll smooth the sharp back edge off of the front trigger and round it a bit so it quits cutting me.
I'll shoot for regulation, probably Next weekend as I will be gone this weekend and try to post the pics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys for the advice I went ahead and put down my deposit on a rifle.I,m going to get a .500 left hand with a matte finish stainless action.Now I need to start putting together all the bits and pieces to load for this caliber.

Posts: 45 | Location: saskatchewan,canada | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kestrel,
Captech, Int has the jameson .500 Nitro brass in stock. I ordered 500 rounds and I bet they have more. Got a price break because I am an FFL holder. Let me know if I can help you. Subsailor74 has a set of dies I think he doesn't need...... That will be a start for you. I'm going to use the CEB bullets for it and I can help you there as well.(Set up as a dealer)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have decided to pull the trigger and order a left handed .500 .I,m located in Canada and will not be able to be measured

Kestrel,

I dont know who you are using to import, but I would suggest "Prophet River Firearms", Clay is a great guy and I have used him for importing 375fl brass. He runs a really tight ship great service, I think its $150 for a rifle. You pay insurance and shipping to his ffl in the states then he takes over from there (including insurance). I was leery about using a service over the internet so I bought a really nice Ruger no 1 in 30-30 off him as well as a trial run. The brass and gun came and Clay was always available to answer my questions. There is something I like about phoning a business and talking directly to the owner. I plan on using him to import my double, after i get fitted in Reno.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Kestrel.

Let me know when Butch is working on your rifle. I live near his shop and I owe him a visit so I'll see if I can get some work in-progress photos of your gun.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank thanks for the offer which I will take you up on. Butch says that he may get a start on these rifles soon if the orders keep coming.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Butch Searcy:
Field Grade double spec's:

Buttstock has no cheekpiece, LOP to fit customer
Right or left hand

Butch

l know you said a straight stock. But do they have cast and off set to suit which hand they are made for?

Cheers
Jack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes the rifles will have the correct LOP,cast, and drop for the customer.
By the way there are three rifles left on this first run.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch, don't let them all go. I may want a smaller caliber as well for that price.
Rick

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
I know this isn't a problem for some, but if I had the cake right now, I'd buy one of these before I bought a Rolex!!! Much more useful and a lot more fun.

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I've had 4 Searcy's built for me and bought one used. I sold all of them for at least what I paid (after taking them to Africa and putting some "love" marks on them while chasing elephants and buffalo). Eeker

I guess it is time to get my last Searcy and keep this one until I croak..... and my 11 year old pickup and my $29.99 Casio work just fine.

If I can add a V-C round action (with scope option) in .375 Flanged Magnum to compliment it (and to leave my Emmy), I think I'll be finished....

But I've said that before.... Alas! I love double rifles!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2