THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Double Rifle of Robert Ruark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double Rifle of Robert Ruark
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
One question to the experts:

There are so many famous guns from Hemingway, Keith, etc.

Did anyone know the double rifle of Robert Ruark?
And where it is today?

Thank you.

Best wishes.

B.

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
I think I saw it a while back (maybe here???). I think it was a Wesley Richards with a single trigger and sold for a whole heap of money (over 200K as I remember).

I'm sure somebody on here will know.

EDIT: I just googled it and the rifle I was thinking of above was Hemingway's and it sold for 295K

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall from Alan Ritchie's book about Ruark that many of his guns and trophies etc. were taken from his house after he died. So maybe the guns were lost that way.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
The Jeffery double is owned by John Mecom Jr.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I have Ruark's Sabatti .45/70 (without Dremel marks).

Wink

I'll never forget the day that one of J.A. Hunter's .500 N.E. Boss rifles was up for sale at Champlins... sold 5 minutes before I called.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To the best of my knowledge he never owned the Westley Richards .470 NE he wrote about in "Horn of the Hunter" but rented it in Nairobi. He did own a Jeffery in .450/400 (3") NE which is now in a private collection in the US somewhere.

Don't know if he ever owned any other double rifles but I would sure like to know a lot more about the Rigby .450 No 2 NE he wrote about that Harry Selby used on his first safari. Talk about a rarity for that particular maker...

Posts: 391 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge G
You really hit the jackpot when you called Lacy Cabelas. What next, maybe WDM Bell's
7X57 Rigby or even his double will show up unexpectedly. dancing
Kidd

Posts: 141 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kidd:
Judge G
You really hit the jackpot when you called Lacy Cabelas. What next, maybe WDM Bell's
7X57 Rigby or even his double will show up unexpectedly. dancing
Kidd

Bell's .275 Rigby was given to Harry Selby's son as a present by Ruark. Harry's daughter Gail killed an Elephant with it at a teen.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7610 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
On page 83 of Boddington's Safari Rifles,
He states that Ruark gave Mark Selby a 450/400 double rifle. It was inscribed, "To Mark, from your uncle Bob". Robert Ruark was Mark Selby's godfather.

The only historical rifle I would ever care about would be that double.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I've held the receipt for both of those rifles in my hands.

That article I'm afraid should not be taken as gospel. Bob borrowed the double he used on the first safaris, and the article doesn't mention his 244 H&H that he seemed to think was all anyone needed even for buffalo.

The double he did own was a Jeffery, bought from Westley Richards along with the .275 and another gun for his wife. Of interest is that the Jeffery was converted to a non-automatic safety.