THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    REPORT: 10 years with Merkel double rifles
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

REPORT: 10 years with Merkel double rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted
This might be better moved to the double rifle forum!

……………………….10 years with Merkel double rifles!

In the recent bringing up of an old post by me from 2005 where I was talking about a “new to me” 470NE Merkel Safari 140-2 double rifle. The suggestion was made that this is a fine opportunity to write up a down the road critique of the Merkel double rifle after 5 years of service. I thought this was a good idea, and then the thought crossed my mind that I had bought another Merkel back in 2001 as well, and still had the rifle, and had hunted with it quite a bit as well. So I decided to start with the first one, which is a 140E chambered for the 9.3X74R cartridge.

The 140E , 9.3X74R Merkel is an ejector side by side double rifle, built on a Anson & Deeley type action, fitted with an automatic safety, and fitted with the very Germanic “Hogs back” stock with a plastic butt plate, and pistol grip cap. The action was Case colored, and the barrels very blackened. The barrels are “shoe-lump”, or “platform-lump” Both having the same meaning. Merkel calls this a “Dimi-Bloc” barrel set. I find this is simply something that was lost in translation. Most consider a DIMI-BLOC to be chopper lump barrel set. This is not the case here. All Barrels on Merkel double rifle are cold hammer forged, making a very smooth and very tough bore surface. Cold hemmer forged barrels are very long lasting barrels.

Until recently all Side-by-Side double rifle made by Merkel were made on the shoe-lump barrel sets. The rifles being made today are now mono-block barrel sets. Additionally the 140-2 Safari big bore double is now available with selective ejectors. Before only the 140-1 and smaller were always available with ejectors.

On the 140E-1, 9.3X74R I replaced the plastic butt plate with a Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad and simply started hunting with the rifle. It is my opinion that one reason besides saving money that Merkel puts the plastic butt plate on their rifles is so the customer can adjust the length of pull when he applies the recoil pad.
It shot very well right out of the box with Sellier & Bellot factory ammo, using the 286 gr soft point bullet, and the front trigger being a set trigger made for very precise shooting for a long shot, and the rifle handles and balances very well, making double taps on running game a snap.

The 9.3X74R and smaller come with auto safeties, a feature I totally dislike on any firearm, and especially on a double rifle. The automatic safety simply makes no sense on a double rifle anymore that an auto safety on a bolt rifle. Nobody in his right mind would hunt with a bolt rifle that re-set the safety every time the bolt was worked. The same goes for an auto safety on a double rifle that re-sets the safety when the rifle is opened for any reason. This feature on the 140E-1, 9.3X74R is a feature that needs to be discontinued, and on the ones that have it, the auto feature should be disabled. In a close encounter with game if you fire one or both barrels, break to re-load, when you close the rifle it should be ready to fire without doing anything more than pulling the appropriate trigger.

The DRSS, and the Big Bore Shooters have an annual get together down at Houston, Texas in the spring. This is a fun shoot/get together called the “HOOT & SHOOT”.
There are timed shoots with double rifles for four shots, in combination with target score. The highest score possible on the target is 40 points if all four hit the ten ring. The time is also taken for the total time for the four shots. I was shooting this little 9.3X74R Merkel and it is the only double rifle I own that had an auto safety. I shot a target score of 36 of the possible 40 points, in 4 seconds flat, but I forgot the safety and tried to fire the third shot with the safety in the “on” position. That added a full second, at least to my time, and that that second could have cost me my life if I had been in the process of stopping a charging lion, or Buffalo! The auto safety will not be a feature on this rifle in future! I have had only one problem with this rifle. The right trigger suddenly took on about a ten-pound trigger pull in the unset position. The problem turned out to be a on the sear engagement that took one swipe with a jeweler’s file to fix. Other than that this has been one of the best double rifles I have ever owned, and that includes the vintage doubles, both English, and European. I’m lucky, however, because the average measurements of “off the shelf” doubles almost always fits me.

The test target with this rifle shows a two shot group of 1 ¼” at 100 Meters. I think that is a pipe dream, or an accident. I’ve not been able to get two shots that close at 100 Yes, even off the bags. However the rifle is a consistent killer of two at a time on running large wild boar. Double taps seem to be a common habit of this rifle. This rifle just feels like an extension of my body when shooting instinctively. This rifle weighs 8.3 pounds.

The 140-2 Safari 470NE Merkel was new to me but was bought back in May of 2005 from another poster on Accurate Reloading! BigB (Byron S.) ordered the rifle from GSI back in January of 2001, as he states in the PM to me below, with his permission it is posted here.

quote:
Originally posted by BigB:
“Mac,

While sorting thru some stuff I found the original receipt for the 470 Merkel. If you would like it I can send to you. It was ordered on 1-19-01, I am guessing I picked it up a few days later as GSI had it in Stock. If memory serves me correct I shot an elephant with it 9-1-01. Another interesting note is the rifle was "lost" by Delta for about a month in the confusion surrounding 9-11. It came home on a different plane than I did and sat at ORD for a few weeks while Delta located my Tuff-Pak.
Take Care
Byron “

Byron took two Bull elephant, and four Cape buffalo with this rifle before I bought it. The rifle’s triggers are as perfect as if I had had it custom cut. The rifle shoots very well, and has given me ZERO problem since I have owned it, and it has had a couple hundred rounds fired through it both hunting, and paper shooting. Byron had a Kick-Eze recoil pad installed and no other mods have been done on this rifle.

The rifle was regulated with Federal factory ammo, and the test target shows a two shot group of 1” at 50 Meters. I found that to be a fairly accurate assessment from the sand bags on the range. Off the sticks I can normally hold it to two or three inches at 50 yards. If I take my time, and within four shots inside six inches at 25 yards shooting as fast as I can off hand, with a re-load in the middle of the string. The recoil is noticeable but manageable under hunting conditions. I’ve had four PHs shoot this rifle, and they all expressed positively on the handling, and accuracy id the rifle.

This rifle comes with a manual safety, and extractors! And is chambered for four different cartridges. The 375H&H, and 416 Rigby, both rimless cartridges, and the 470NE like this one and the 500NE. The rifle chambered for 470NE weighs 10.14 pounds.

This pair of rifles has become my travel rifles simply because they can be replaced if lost and not recovered, as the 470 was after 9-11. As BigB states it was lost for about a month, while Delta Air looked for it.

The 470NE will take anything that walks crawls or flies, and the 9.3X74R will serve as the light rifle, but still back-up the 470NE if needed. These two rifles are simple working rifles, and there is nothing fancy about either of them, but are built like anvils, and have given me perfect service.

As soon as the Merkel double rifle were imported back in 2000, they were shown at the SCI, and DSC shows and caused a lot of talk. Mainly because of the chamberings available in the Safari model, and the very low price for a double chambered for those cartridges. Right away we started to hear talk, IMO mostly by competitors, that the rifles would shoot off face in 50 shots, and that they were simply converted shotguns.

Well gentlemen, it has been ten years and several have been sold, and used extensively, and none of those predictions has come to pass. That didn’t happen with the 470NE rifle so then the prediction was that the 375H&H rifle would certainly shoot loose, because of the 375 H&H’s higher pressures, that hasn’t happened either. The most down grading you heard was from people who had something they wanted to sell you, and they couldn’t compete with the Merkel price point! Things that make you go HUMMMmmmmmm!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've recently seen new Merkels in the larger calibers new for around $8K. They seem like damn nice rifles for the money.

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Good report. Very good indeed.

Makes me think that a man might be well served to have a 10k or slightly less spendy double (such as a Merkel) for a true working rifle that can be used and nicked and dinged in the field as well as replaced if lost or stolen.

Accurate, reliable, and affordable are hard to beat in a hunting rifle.

Prohibitively expensive and irreplacable makes for tense moments when you entrust it to the nice agents of the TSA or when you ding it during the hunt.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What SL said, plus one! This post and a few chats with MacD37 and Rusty have convinced me that these two caliber doubles would make a hard to beat combination for anything/everything in the world. It figured heavily in my decision to add a Chapuis 9,3x74R to my Searcy .470 NE and call it good. Well, maybe a 300 Flanged...

On April 8th I will put them to the test in SA.

Rich

My thanks to you Mac for sharing your experiences with us

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A nice report, thanks.

I just ordered my first double, a Merkel 140E in 9.3x74R with ejectors and NO AUTO SAFETY. A good move I think.

In my price range were Chapuis and Sabatti. I just like the Merkel best. That's reason enough.

DRSS
9.3x74R, .45x3.25", .499HE

Posts: 2 | Location: Tasmania | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE] All Barrels on Merkel double rifle are cold hammer forged, making a very smooth and very tough bore surface. Cold hemmer forged barrels are very long lasting barrels.

The most down grading you heard was from people who had something they wanted to sell you, and they couldn’t compete with the Merkel price point! [QUOTE]

...merkel's actions and barrels are also sourced to the trade in respect of some of the leading gunmakers, evidencing merkel's price and quality competitiveness...

...interestingly, merkel credits its years behind the iron curtain as the basis for its pricing edge and its ability to blend old world craftsmanship (read, hand-made/finished) with modern machinery for what it considers to be a superior product (at least at the specific price point for that product)...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago when I was shopping for a double I noticed a Merkel 470 NE with octagonal barrels. It really caught my eye. I was not sure how functional it would be to carry in the traditional manner but it was unique none the less. I have seen a few of them since and I "believe" one in 500 NE as well.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I have had one Merkel so far,it was an ejector model in 470 NE,it was a used gun,shot great,no problems what so ever,I have now had experience with three different makes of double rifles,would I buy another Merkel,you bet,just waiting for the right 9.3 x 74R to come along.

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
My Merkel has been a fine gun indeed. I shot it again last Saturday and it's still as accurate as ever, even with its new custom wood from Canyon Creek Custom Gunstocks and the factory installed bright flourescent red front ramp sight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,

Thanks for sharing beer

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
10 years is the break in period for a Merkel double rifle.

Mine was fifty years old when I bought it fifteen years ago.

Over the last fifteen it has proven itself on a lot of big game from AK to FL to CA and took it home for a reunion with several of it's younger cousens on a drive hunt in Germany.

Still going strong after a lot of use and some abuse. The guys at the AK chapter D.R.S.S. shoot did fine with it a couple weeks ago.

Other than some repairs due to damage from the previous owner this rifle has requiered little maintenance. I replaced one hammer spring a couple years ago. And had the horn trigger gaurd swelled up and contacted the rear trigger causing it to fire upon closing the barrels.

N.E.450#2 was with me when that happend and it got both of our attention. Did'nt notice the problem right away but once I realized what the problem was it took only minuts to fix.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
This begs the question . . .

"Is Merkel the #1 double for under $10,000?"

In fact, there is a 140.2.1 (ejectors) in 500NE on Guns International for $9K!

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
I liked Mac's 9.3 so well I bought one just like it from Sam Rose on Nitro Express. Great little rifle!! Had a Merkel 470, sold it and bought a 500 (no reason other than just wanted something different, the 470 was great!). So far, in my limited experience with Merkel's, I am pleased with the performance!

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mississippian:
I liked Mac's 9.3 so well I bought one just like it from Sam Rose on Nitro Express. Great little rifle!! Had a Merkel 470, sold it and bought a 500 (no reason other than just wanted something different, the 470 was great!). So far, in my limited experience with Merkel's, I am pleased with the performance!

I have fired that rifle and Sam is a great guy and a wonderful host! I had such fun shooting all kinds of doubles that day!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11241 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Nakihunter, you were correct, Sam was off on a hunt and obviously did get back in touch with me and closed the deal on the Merkel. He was pleasant to deal with and I talked to him at length on the phone. Seemed like a great guy!

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:

Nope! You can usually find a K-gun under $10,000 and both the K-gun and Blaser are better guns. popcorn

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:

Nope! You can usually find a K-gun under $10,000 and both the K-gun and Blaser are better guns. popcorn

stir are we? Big Grin

Probably the best deal for the money along with Chapius and Vernon Carey. I dispise the cocking devices on the K gun or Blaser, so those wouldn't be an option for me.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
And besides that Merkel doesn't make a .500/.416 which as everybody knows is the best double rifle caliber ever! tu2

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Not looking for trouble or stirring the pot (at least not intentionally), but I could see myself owning a $10,000 double rifle and the favorable reports from the Merkel owners really have me thinking. Add in that GSI is less that two hours down the road, and I am starting to feel pretty warm and fuzzy about spending some of my wife's money.

Chapuis is clearly at the same price point. I've not yet seen a Verney Carron for less than 10k, but they are close enough to 10k that it is not impossible to buy one for under 10k, especially used. Blaser and K Gun are out (for me) for the reasons mentioned above.

So, which is best of the 10K doubles?

Merkel
Chapuis
Verney Carron (asuming you find one for under 10k)

The Merkel guys have stated their case. Anybody want to offer their $.02 on the other makes?

FWIW, if we have a 100% consensus on this, I'll surely be buying a double, but I don't think that will happen. Big Grin

Will J. Parks, III

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Thanks BigB, I got the order form for the 470NE today in the mail! Thanks again, you can never have too much documentation to go with a good rifle!

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Mac,

You know when I bought that rifle a friend also bought one. We were talking to GSI over the phone and he told the fellow there that he wanted him to pick out the one with the best wood. I asked for the one with the best test target, closet to the bulleye and with 2 rounds touching if possible. That gun does shoot well
and did a good job on its trips to Africa.

Nothing better than elephant hunting with a double, you should go over to Zim and shoot a cow ele and a buff with yours.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Merkel Double owners!!!!!!!!!!!
Looking to add a scope to your double with out completely screwing up the gun. I have devised a 1/4 rib easy mount and uses Talley rings directly to the 1/4 rib.
email me if you need pictures.
elk88101@hotmail.com

larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
The 9.3X74R and smaller come with auto safeties, a feature I totally dislike on any firearm, and especially on a double rifle. The automatic safety simply makes no sense on a double rifle anymore that an auto safety on a bolt rifle. Nobody in his right mind would hunt with a bolt rifle that re-set the safety every time the bolt was worked. The same goes for an auto safety on a double rifle that re-sets the safety when the rifle is opened for any reason. This feature on the 140E-1, 9.3X74R is a feature that needs to be discontinued, and on the ones that have it, the auto feature should be disabled. In a close encounter with game if you fire one or both barrels, break to re-load, when you close the rifle it should be ready to fire without doing anything more than pulling the appropriate trigger.

The DRSS, and the Big Bore Shooters have an annual get together down at Houston, Texas in the spring. This is a fun shoot/get together called the “HOOT & SHOOT”.
There are timed shoots with double rifles for four shots, in combination with target score. The highest score possible on the target is 40 points if all four hit the ten ring. The time is also taken for the total time for the four shots. I was shooting this little 9.3X74R Merkel and it is the only double rifle I own that had an auto safety. I shot a target score of 36 of the possible 40 points, in 4 seconds flat, but I forgot the safety and tried to fire the third shot with the safety in the “on” position. That added a full second, at least to my time, and that that second could have cost me my life if I had been in the process of stopping a charging lion, or Buffalo! The auto safety will not be a feature on this rifle in future!

A very interesting report.
But there is something there that just doesn't add up.
I've been reading your posts for a long time, and I honestly don't know anyone who has made as much noise regarding the dangers of the auto safety as yourself.
You have said many times in many threads, how dumb it is to have a DG double fitted with an auto safety, that you can't understand how anyone would ever want an auto safety, and how you would NEVER have an auto safety on any of your own DG rifles.
So what's this in your Merkel report where you tried to pull the trigger on one of your own doubles, but forgot the auto safety was on?
This is your Merkel 9.3x74R that you bought when, way back in 2001 or thereabouts?
And yet 8 years later in 2009 that rifle still has an auto safety despite years of preaching about how bad auto safety's are?
Like I said at the beginning, something just doesn't add up.

Posts: 232 | Location: Queensland Australia | Registered: 04 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's another hater of auto safeties.

I've had them slow me down on pheasants with my double shotgun. So, i already know they could do the same on my DR, EXCEPT it could be very dangerous to have happen on my DR when following up DG!

Make all of my safeties "manual" please!

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where is the hi-jack? Isn't this thread about your pair of Merkels? Are we not discussing one of those, ie your 9.3x74R Merkel?
I'm not looking for any fights, I'm simply stating that some of the things you have said just don't seem to add up.
But ok, you have explained that the reason that rifle still had an auto safety after all those years was that it has never been taken after dangerous game, and that had you ever taken the rifle to Africa, that auto safe would have been disconnected years ago.

quote:
You have a point but it is not the “GOT CHA” you believe you have! Smiler
there is a very good reason that the safety had not been disabled till now. I have never had that rifle into dangerous game fields.......................

That HOOT&SHOOT was the first time that rifle had been in a contest that was basically a DGR exercise, I can assure you if that rifle had been going to Africa, or Coastal Alaska, that safety would have been disabled yrs ago, but deer, and wild hogs from a blind are not dangerous.

So that explains it then I suppose? Well no, not really, because elsewhere on the net you have said this.
quote:
I own several double rifles of different chamberings, but when I get ready to go to Africa, the two Boyt takedown soft cases are filled with my Merkel 140-2, 470NE Safari double, and the little Merkel 140E, 9.3X74R, and go into the Tuff-pak. This is my favorite pair of doubles for hunting Africa

Surely you can understand why I say that things just don't seem to add up. Confused

Posts: 232 | Location: Queensland Australia | Registered: 04 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
5seventy,
what is your f...ing problem ? why do you want to stir shit ? Mac is one of the most savvy people on this forum,having shared camp with him I can also say that he is a true gentleman and I am proud to have broken bread with him,drop this now and move back into the hole where you came from or identify yourself Mad

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
merkel.tradition,quallity,durabillity,to say bad thing about a merkel rifles is a sin, i hunt all my life with merkel drillings and double rifles, its a joy to carry such rifles

Posts: 74 | Location: KENJADA | Registered: 20 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
I can also vouch for Merkel 140 double's reliability.

I have one in 416 rigby and never missed a beat. hardly fired my left barrel. Everything dropped after first barrel.......

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lickilovac:
merkel.tradition,quallity,durabillity,to say bad thing about a merkel rifles is a sin, i hunt all my life with merkel drillings and double rifles, its a joy to carry such rifles

Hey Lickilovac haven't talked to you in a while. How've you been? Are you going to do some spring bear hunting up there this year? Let me know who you book with if you do, I may see you up there, and help you fight the the Black fies! Big Grin

Did you get your Merkel drilling yet? That would be a good one for grouse, black bear,moose, and caribou!
...............good hunting Buddy!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK 5seventy, one last time I will explain to you why the rifle has not been modified, though it is really none of your business, it has not been to Africa YET, nor has the 470NE Merkel

You say your 9.3x74R Merkel has never been to Africa?
OK, now I really have no idea what to believe.
If that rifle has never been to Africa, I wonder why you would have said this.
quote:
I have two Merkel double rifle today, and have zero trouble with any aspect with these rifles. #1 is a 140E, 9.3X74R that I have had for alomst ten years with not one problem, #2 is a 140-2, 470NE .................. I have yet to take the 470NE t0 Africa, but the 9.3X74R has been three times,takeing two buffalo and a fine eland, one shot each.

Merkel 9.3x74R in Africa Thread

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
well I guess you got me! Happy now? The 9.3 was never my DGR, only along in case something went wrong with my 470NE double. I was only imbarased because I had suffered with procrastination and that is why the 9.3 had not been disconnected! That doesn't make the advice to dieconnect them worthless!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,
Personally I couldn't care less whether you say your 9.3 Merkel has been to Africa when it appears that it has not, and I doubt anyone else here cares either.
My reason for posting in this thread was, since you have always expressed your dislike for auto safetys, to inquire why someone with your experience would have an auto safety on a rifle that you have owned for a long time, and had said that it had been used for DG.
You have given your reason.
The 9.3 in Africa stuff has just come out in the wash as the thread has progressed.
I can sense that you are uneasy about any questions I ask, and you have asked me to leave.
No problem. AR is your turf, not mine.
In the meantime I hope you do win that lotto, and that you do get to return to Africa soon.
All the best.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
5seventy, I still dislike an the auto safety, and for a rifle intended for use on dangerous game particularly, and I still recommend that if they are used on dangerous game they should be disengaged. I simply procrastinated in disengageing this rifle, no other reason!

I,m not alone in this opinion, however beacuse most double rifle makers share that opinion in regard to their dangerous game double rifles. the following is from page 16 of the Merkel manual.

"Double rifles in 375H&H,416 Rigby,or 470 nitro express are not eqipped with automatic safeties because they are designed for dangerous game when the need for quick reloading and follow-up shots are critical!"

This manual was written before Merkel included the 500NE and the 450/400NE 3".

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
5seventy, I still dislike an the auto safety, and for a rifle intended for use on dangerous game particularly, and I still recommend that if they are used on dangerous game they should be disinguaged. I simply procrastinated in disinguageing this rifle, no other reason!

I,m not alone in this opinion, however beacuse most double rifle makers share that opinion in regard to their dangerous game double rifles. the following is from page 16 of the Merkel manual.

"Double rifles in 375H&H,416 Rigby,or 470 nitro express are not eqipped with automatic safeties because they are designed for dangerous game when the need for quick reloading and follow-up shots are critical!"

This manual was written before Merkel included the 500NE and the 450/400NE 3".

...................Good hunting if you do any of that "with a rifle"! Big Grin

You seem to assume that I am in disagreement with you over the auto safety. No idea where you got that from, but you are wrong. Totally wrong. I also have a dislike for the auto safety and have done so for many years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

...................Good HUNTING if you do any of that "with a rifle" rather than a key board! Big Grin

Mac,
I'm offering to walk away, but it seems you want to start something up again?
Not interested, sorry.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
5seventy didn't you see the happy face, I was just jokeing! Sorry maybe it wasn't funny, but that is the way it was meant! tu2

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
...................Good HUNTING if you do any of that "with a rifle" rather than a key board! Big Grin

Ha ha Mac, calling Alan a keyboard hunter. rotflmo shame

I think you guys should both post some photos of doubles WITH game to establish credentials. tu2

Let the duel begin. hammering

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
quote:

Ha ha Mac, calling Alan a keyboard hunter. rotflmo shame

I think you guys should both post some photos of doubles WITH game to establish credentials. tu2

Let the duel begin. hammering

NitroX, you missunderstand, just like Alan did! I did not mean to imply that Alan was a keyboard wanna-be,I'm sure he has paid his dues in the field, but he is an excellent hunter on the internet for things to find fault with. He must be a police detective, because he is like a pit-bull when he thinks he's found a kink in your armor! He's a master of the strawman concept!
I have absloutely no desire for a duel with anyone here or anyplace else. I wouldn't have even replied to his posts but it just erked me that he destroyed the flow of the thread by nit picking things that had nothing to do with the reliability, or longevity of the Merkel double rifles. That was the subject of that thread!

The thread is destroyed now and may as well be removed! That is too bad, because IMO there was some good information in that thread for the young guy thinking of buying his first double rifle!

As far as I'm concerned there is the end of it!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:

I am sure we would all enjoy seeing fine photographs of doubles and big game. If they are worried about exposing their faces on the internet, I presume they can edit away that part? beer

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac, you say to me.....
quote:
Good HUNTING if you do any of that "with a rifle" rather than a key board! Big Grin

Then you say.....
quote:
I did not mean to imply that Alan was a keyboard wanna-be

hmmmm.
I have no idea what to make of that.