THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Blaser S2...What's wrong with it?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blaser S2...What's wrong with it?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bradking1
posted
Guess i. just had to ask the question. It seems to me that anyone that mentions a blaser says that they would never own one.

Are there serious flaws with this rifle?

Posts: 403 | Location: SW IDAHO | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The Blaser is a non-traditional double rifle. It is for the most part, a drastic change in how doubles are made and how they look. No one likes change.

I have never fired one. I have handled on at DSC. Every blaser bolt action I have shot has been extremely accurate, right out of the box!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
I could live with their safety/cocking issue and even the looks of S2, however tell me how in the name should I scrape those cartridges from under that hood?

Posts: 2028 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bradking1
posted Hide Post
No ejectors?

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
No

Posts: 2028 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bradking1
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...alot don't have ejectors...surely the cases don't just sit on the breech face...do they? i've never handled one...surely someone has used their "noodle" to design this rifle...?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one in 9.3x74R, and I love it. It's not a DG rifle, and it's not used as one. 2 Shots is normally all you get on driven game here.

The cocking doesn't bother me, it's just a question of training. My shotgun also has an automatic safety, so it becomes second nature to slide it forward. The extractors lift the cartridges far enough to get them out easily, but most of the time, I just turn the gun and let the empties fall out.

It's a very accurate rifle with a great scope mount design, but it will never be liked by purists.

Proud DRSS member

One of Us
Picture of bradking1
posted Hide Post
so, is there a problem with it as a dg rifle in the appropriate caliber? how does it balance?

makes me wonder if it's suitable or if only the folks that can afford a "british double" are justifying the price tag...and i agree, you get what you pay for...to a certain extent

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not just snobbery. No, it's not people trying to justify inflated prices on British doubles.

The issues you read about automatic safeties and manual cocking happen in other firearms as well. People in a panic don't always work safeties correctly and remember to cock firearms. In the heat of the moment, do you want to mess with the "hood" while trying to remove the spent cartridges?

If the game animal I am shooting at can turn around and kill me, I want it simple, simple, simple and effective.

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Brad:

Double guys are traditionalists. They don't tend to like anything that deviates from too much from the style established by the British gun makers 100 years ago. While I don't own an S2, I do own an R93 and I will tell you it is a superb outfit. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an S2 for an instant. The hood and the cocking mechanism don't bother me a bit. like most things in life, it just takes a little practice to get used to it. An S2 is just a new and different way of looking at a double. It is stronger and more accurate out of the box than most any other double on the market. In addition, it is far less expensive than some of the other offerings. EuroOptic will sell you a brand new Luxus in .375, .500/.416, .470, or .500 N.E. for $8500 and a Blaser S2 has far and away the best scope mounting system of any double on the market. Given the choice between an $8500 S2 and a $16,000 Heym, I would pick the S2 every time and put the rest of the money in my pocket for the hunt.

popcorn

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the blaser, with the overhaning roof, i just coined a phrase.. cart-port .. like a free standing roof, but for cartridges... and the sliding block thing...

I had a loading FAILURE at the range.. admittedly, it was like my second loading of a blaser, and only about my 10,000,004th loading of any kind of double (including shotties) ..

I found that off putting enough that I handed it back to the owner, even though he's a buddy and had a pile of ammo, and went back to shooting some bolt trash.

Frankly, the spartan is better DESIGNED to be a double, if not better executed.

The blaser, if 4.5K for any shot you want, might be nice, but the prices, as compared to a searcy, are idiotic

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38608 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

The blaser, if 4.5K for any shot you want, might be nice, but the prices, as compared to a searcy, are idiotic

Huh? Jeff, a Blaser S2 is about half the price of a new Searcy.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
(!@&^$^@(*)!@(*@&#&#@*)!!(*@#&*#&)#(*@&#*)(@*&&*!^$^&!POS

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Brad:

Double guys are traditionalists. They don't tend to like anything that deviates from too much from the style established by the British gun makers 100 years ago.

Dave it is not style that turns double rifle people off the S-2! The whole idea of a double rifle that will be used for dangerous game is simplicity! Nothing to have to remember in the middle of a fight for your life! Style, and tredition have absolutely nothing to do with the reluctance to buy these things at any price.

People talk about the S-2 as being so modern, when it is a throw-back to the old hammer rifle days, without anything sticking up in front of your eyes to remind you that you havent cocked the damn thing! Of course a Buffalo, or ele will wait for you to relax from you panic long enough for you to calm enough to work all the buttoms. Roll Eyes

quote:
While I don't own an S2, I do own an R93 and I will tell you it is a superb outfit. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an S2 for an instant. The hood and the cocking mechanism don't bother me a bit. like most things in life, it just takes a little practice to get used to it.

On treditional double rifle used for DGRs if a rifle comes from the maker with an auto safety, the auto lever is disconected before it is taken into the field. Addtionaly single triggers are frowned on like snakes. The auto safety (not to mention one that de-cocks the rifle)is avoided like the plague, as well, because these are the two things that cause most double rifle shooters who hunt dangerous game to shun, or at least modify, even treditional doubles, and the S-2 all together. The Krieghoff, however re-cocks it's self after firing,and breaking the rifle to re-load the chamber or chambers, the S-2 does not, and automaticlly de-cocks the rifle when opened for anything. In the middle of close quarters fire fight, that ain't good. I makes no more sense than a bolt rifle that automaticlly re-sets the safety every time the bolt is worked. It is not a matter of training it is a matter of poor design!

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the S-2 as long as it is only used for non-dangerous game. Most of the Non-DG will be down with one shot, and surely with two, but you will sometimes work up a swet running cartridges in and case out of a double before putting a cape Buffalo down for the count! The end result of failier is quite different for the Buffalo, than it is when shooting a deer.

quote:
An S2 is just a new and different way of looking at a double. It is stronger and more accurate out of the box than most any other double on the market.

The S-2 is different, I'll give you that much, but more accurate than any double rifle on the market, no way!

quote:
In addition, it is far less expensive than some of the other offerings. EuroOptic will sell you a brand new Luxus in .375, .500/.416, .470, or .500 N.E. for $8500 and a Blaser S2 has far and away the best scope mounting system of any double on the market.

The S-2 should have never been chambered for any of the cartridges you list, except maybe the .375, and even then the flanged version. The little rifle should be limited to driven wild boar, and other non-dangerous game, or re-do the so-called safety system to the way the K-gun works, so the damn thing doesn't automaticlly un-cock the rifle when opened to re-charge the rifle!

On the scope mount, will that mount return to zero when the scope is removed, and replaced? The reason I ask is, because if it doesn't then it is not worth anything for double rifle use!

The double rifle is opposite from a bolt rifle like your Blaser bolt gun. On a bolt gun the scope is the primary sight, and is usually left mounted till something happens to the scope, and one has to rely on the irons to finish a hunt, or change to a pre-zeroed back-up scope. On the double however,the irons sights are the primary, and the scope is a back-up if the irons are damaged, or the scope is needed for a special precise, or long shot. In any event in both cases the mount must absolutely return to zero every time it is removed, ore remounted.

quote:
Given the choice between an $8500 S2 and a $16,000 Heym, I would pick the S2 every time and put the rest of the money in my pocket for the hunt.

popcorn

Dave

You keep compareing price with a rifle that starts at $16K! There is no comparison between the two if both cost the same. However there are far better double rifles between the Blaser, and the Heym, that are far better designed for use in the bush with the bite-backs, the K-gun being one of them, and Merkel, Chapuis, all can be had for under $10K, and if you shop they can be bought for the $8.5K as well. Any one of them are a far better choice for serious hunting, than an S-2 Blaser!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Mac:

Sent you a PM.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Dave, I disagree..
blaser s2, 10,699 on gunbroker, in 470, with no certainty that it will fit me,

Searcy PH, that will fit me, and is "for sure" to shoot well is 9,9995

http://www.searcyent.com/field_grade1.htm

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mac:

Sent you a PM.

Dave

Got it! again Congratulations, and welcome! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I could live with their safety/cocking issue and even the looks of S2, however tell me how in the name should I scrape those cartridges from under that hood?

Yeah, a lot of things to "learn to live with" with one of these gargoyles. Way too many. Kinda like an arranged marriage to Rosie O'Donnell.

Jeffe's estimate of a $4,500 intrinsic value for it is .... generous.
-------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Dave, I disagree..
blaser s2, 10,699 on gunbroker, in 470, with no certainty that it will fit me,

Searcy PH, that will fit me, and is "for sure" to shoot well is 9,9995

http://www.searcyent.com/field_grade1.htm

Jeff:

EuroOptics is selling S2 Safaris for $8500. You can find a new Searcy PH for ten grand? That's a darn good price. I would buy it!

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
the rubber ribs are a huge turnoff as well as the safety.....

Mac

Posts: 1731 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffeosso, what is a "loading failure"?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Peter.

Failure of sausage fingers to receive data from sausage finger controll module... rotflmo

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
quote:
Peter.

Failure of sausage fingers to receive data from sausage finger controll module... rotflmo

Close..
I put 2 rounds in, went to close the gun, the sliding contraption bite down one the rounds and took a little finagling to fix.. was it my fault? Only in that i used the same technique i had for a zillion other rounds on a double.

Dave,
list on a searcy is 10K, i provided the link. 8.5K? okay, we are talking about what *I* would spend to have it restocked to fit me.

Was the loading failure my fault? sure, why not.. if i was facing a hippo, i would have been tread.

When I grow up, I want a searcy

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just tilt the barrels up and the cases will drop out easily

Posts: 251 | Location: pa | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try a Searcy. Fire both barrels, open the action cases fly out, two more go in, close action and fire!!

S2 figure out how to get safety off that went on when you loaded the rifle. Fire both barrels, open the action and take your eyes off of wounded Elephant/Buffalo to tip rifle upside down to make sure empties do leave chambers, cut fingers on the ovenhood trying to maneuver cartridges in...get trampled/gored by DG unimpressed with your George Jetson double rifle.

Did I miss anything.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
quote:
Peter.

Close..
I put 2 rounds in, went to close the gun, the sliding contraption bite down one the rounds and took a little finagling to fix.. was it my fault? Only in that i used the same technique i had for a zillion other rounds on a double.

Dave,
list on a searcy is 10K, i provided the link. 8.5K? okay, we are talking about what *I* would spend to have it restocked to fit me.

Was the loading failure my fault? sure, why not.. if i was facing a hippo, i would have been tread.

When I grow up, I want a searcy

Tread...!! rotflmo

The tilting block concept is based on an early 20th century Suhl patent. It's the same device most of the production builders in Germany are using now. The whole tilt block assy should have been inverted in function (locking lug inserting into the bottom og the barrel assy) thereby eliminating the potential for loading interferance. Easy enough to do - someone has to spend the time.

IMO - If Blaser wanted to move some upscale product they'd offer all steel R93's in bigger calibers. Say up to .505" or so.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The S2 has some nice features - the floating barrels for one. However, the practical execution of theory applied against intended use falls way short.

It is kind of like a "match" version of a double rifle - accuracy over function. The problem is, with a double rifle, most guys that get a double are not looking to use it for competition shooting.

Consider the fact that dangerous game can cover close to 50 feet per second. The one or more seconds delay caused by the overhang over the cartridges added to the the reload time for a "traditional" double added to the manual cocking handicap already has you at a 30 yard disadvantage versus the competition in the event your first two shots don't result in an instant kill (whether being deflected by brush, a too rapid heartbeat, bullet failure, etc). In effect, you are limited as a practical matter to two shots in a DG situation.

If you are looking for a double barrel sniper rifle, I suppose the S2 is a good choice. If you are looking for a DG rifle, look elsewhere.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

Did I miss anything.

Rich
Buff Killer

I think you summed it up well.

horse

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No one is saying that the S2 is not different than traditional doubles. They take some getting used to with the different safety and cocking mechanism, but I think they are better than most people give them credit for. My 500 S2 shoots great and balances well. I have several doubles and I find the Blauser to be just fine. Just my most humble opinion.

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BLASER SHOULD BE GIVEN HIGH MARKS FOR DOING ALL POSSIBLE TO CORRUPT A DOUBLE RIFLE. HAVE YOU SEEN THEIR DRILLING WITH THE RIFLE BARREL ON THE TOP? REAL CREATIVITY THOSE BOYS HAVE.
KINDA SURPRISED THEY HAVEN'T BUILT A CHANGE BARREL BOLT DOUBLE RIFLE YET .WE NEED IT !

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:
BLASER SHOULD BE GIVEN HIGH MARKS FOR DOING ALL POSSIBLE TO CORRUPT A DOUBLE RIFLE. HAVE YOU SEEN THEIR DRILLING WITH THE RIFLE BARREL ON THE TOP? REAL CREATIVITY THOSE BOYS HAVE.
KINDA SURPRISED THEY HAVEN'T BUILT A CHANGE BARREL BOLT DOUBLE RIFLE YET .WE NEED IT !

Seems to me that all serious German & Austrian Builders offer the rifle barrel wherever you want it...like the guys who just got started in the business down in Vienna or Ferlach ... Big Grin

The Double Hamed bolt thingamabob doesn't have switch barrels...?? rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdoggy700:
No one is saying that the S2 is not different than traditional doubles. They take some getting used to with the different safety and cocking mechanism, but I think they are better than most people give them credit for. My 500 S2 shoots great and balances well. I have several doubles and I find the Blauser to be just fine. Just my most humble opinion.

Bigdoggy, I agree with you but you will never convince most of the double guys who are so tied to tradition. Heck, most of them won't ever warm up to the .500/.416. It's a great cartridge, way better than the anemic 450/400, but it's new they tend to shy away from it.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
I could live with the S-3 had I not already put many thousands of shotshells through numerous double shotguns, all of which functioned the same way. To relearn all of that now would be difficult to impossible. I think many double rifle buyers are in the same position.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a few Blaser S-2's and they all shot good.

I use the Blaser D 99 Double rifle Drilling, and a D99 Drilling quite a bit, the ones that have a rifle barrel on top.

Once you get used to recocking the gun after you close it it is not a problem for me. Several other German rifles, single shot and doubles operate in the samy way, Heym single shots and the Heym 26 B for instance.

Maybe not the best system for a DG rifle but no different that using a hammer gun.

I have not found the "hood" over the action to get in the way.

PS I have seen one British Drilling made in the 1920's that had the rifle barrel on top as well.

Blaser does it that way so they can use the same scope mount that they use on the rest of their long guns.

It is a very good idea actually.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote