THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Where to find affordable quality in double rifle?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to find affordable quality in double rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A new Searcy or Heym double would be sweet but, at $10K plus any potential Safari would be delayed by a couple of years to pay for the new rifle. GunBroker appears to be a great place if you want a new Blaser rifle. Frowner

In my searches I found a new Heym 9.3x74, which isn't really what I was looking for but at less then $6K seemed like a reasonable option. Where are the good places to shop for a QUALITY double rifle that isn't all used up or beat to hell? Confused

I'm watching the classifieds here but, there are probably other places that resell clean used doubles that are worth my time and attention. I really want a side by side double in 470NE or a similar caliber.

TIA!
Sid

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
While I have a Searcy Classic .450 N.E. about paid for and am awaiting delivery (my third purchace from Butch, btw), I've also had great satisfaction dealing with Ken at www.kebcollc.com .

Just because the website doesn't have what you're looking for, that doesn't mean that it's not available in time. Most stuff is sold before it even makes the website. I had to "get in line" with a small deposit to get my double from him, btw.

I bought a Merkel 141(e) in 9.3x74 from him at a super price. I believe, if you call him, Ken will tell you what he's expecting to be shipped to him. I think you'll be quite happy with the prices.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I'd take a hard look at a 450/400 in a merkel. I think they are around 12K.

I'd also contact Dale Nyagarrd(sp) I think he post here as DLN. He usually has some good deals on Chapuis both in 9.3's and 470's. Dale had a 470 Chapuis a few weeks ago at around 9K.

Aleko Jensen at www.heritagearms.net
Had a few nice doubles the other day I talked to him. Might give him a try.

Just some places to start.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
"affordable quality double" assuming a bigbore, means $7.5K .. and unless you are lucky, it won't fit you. Merkel's fit me like a football bat or a fish's sneakers

Butch's rifles are the standard for affordable and quality and FIT FOR PUPOSE, aka, you.

You can find 9,3x74s for like 5-6, ask "new guy" here. Light, fast, accurate, but not custom fit.

I just got a spartan - i would take it to africa, but only on a bet, though in 45-70, its kinda fun .. it's NOT quality, as compared to a 5k heym, but it is a double rifle and affordable!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Heym rifles I have shouldered all felt like they were built for me. My experience with Chaupis and Merkel is lot more limited and, while they are really good rifles I just haven't warmed up to them like I did the Heym.

Searcy looks like a stellar choice but, he's sold out this year. I guess that's not really a problem since it will be a while before I can put down a $5K deposit.

If $10K to $12K is the price of admission, then that's the target I need to save for if I'm going to take an Elephant with a double rifle. Perhaps I need to rethink my caliber choice and consider plains game with a 9.3x74 since it appears those rifles are at least half as expensive.

Maybe I'll get lucky and find a used big bore in the $6K to $8K range... Maybe it will fit me ....

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Sid,

I'll tell you get somthing that you want. If a Heym fits you, get the Heym! Shop around and surround yourself with good double gun folks, and a nice Heym will turn up.

If your budget is 10K, dont even look or consider the heym it will just cause you heartache.

Used searcy can be found, I bought a used searcy, it was a good gun that shot well, but the fit and finish did not suit me.

For 10K and under (big bore)
Merkel
K-gun
Used searcy
chapuis
Blaser S2

(Maybe even in that order)

For 10K-15K
Demas- neat guns
Used William Douglass (a real gem if you can find one)

15K-20K
Heym
Used Ferlach gun (great value-Fanjoiz hambrush,Sodia)
maybe a used british gun if your lucky

These are just a few of the nuggets of wisdom I have found out shopping for the 3 doubles I have owned. Enjoy shopping!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 5 months ago I bought a NIB Merkel DR with ejectors in 470 NE from a seller on GunsAmerica for slightly under 10K delivered to my FFL. Once I adjusted the LOP it fit and handled great.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin.../2711043/m/176102579

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote