THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Hunting with the VC 500 NE- questions and comments
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting with the VC 500 NE- questions and comments
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got back yesterday from 13 days in the Save. I used the 500 VC a bit. I have had various questions in the past and have more .

When I got back from Botswana in August I sent the gun to JJ. He lightened up the triggers considerably. He also mounted the Docter Optik (spelling?) and zeroed it. Much to my surprise when the gun was returned , the DO was not mounted. I recon I was going to find out how well this thing keeps its zero when I mounted it.

My comments and questions are as follows:

1- I mounted the DO in about 60 seconds using a Leatherman. We went to check the zero. It shot perfectly ATTER the first 2 shots. I had to conclude that the DO holds it's zero even after being removed and remounted.

2- The 500 was beat to hell in the back of the truck in a gun rack. It shot exactly where I aimed every single shot. I had to conclude that these DO's are rugged.

3- I did note that a lot of dust got on the DO. I was concerned I might scratch it or otherwise mess it up. Does anyone have any recommendations on a safe way to clean it?

4- I had no problem with the battery. However, it scares me that it might go out at the wrong time. Does anyone with experience feel it worthwhile to change the battery every trip?

Nevin Leesmay told me that the battery in his Trijicon only lasted 30 days. Thus my concern.

5- I fired a finishing shot on my first buff using Federal Premium with 570 grain Swift A - Frames. The visible effect of the impact was amazing. It prompted one of the trackers to say the gun was like "a 14 pound hammer."

6- I have had trouble with the gun whacking my middle finger on my trigger hand . This seemed to be better after lightening up the trigger pull. However, on the second elephant there was a shoot out . I fired several shots quickly. It did whack my finger.

I attempted to mount a rubber bumper on the back trigger guard. The trigger guard was too wide to attach the bumper . Do any of you experts think the width of the trigger guard could be the problem ?

7- Muscle memory and habit can be a bad thing. On my second elephant, I caught myself catching the brass putting it in pocket when I thought the elephant was down for the count. This is exactly what I do on the range. This elephant got up and spun around toward me. Lesson learned.

8- I noticed something on the back of the chambers that is dark . It wasn't there before. It won't rub off. Any ideas of what this is and how to get rid of it?

Thanks.

Posts: 12104 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Larry, I should be so lucky as to have your concerns!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Welcome back Larry. Looking forward to reading your report.

Here are a few answers:

3. Camel hair paint brush - the size model builders use - any hobby shop will have a 10 pack;
4. Cost of the battery = minuscule;
6. At the range, grip the wrist loosely - you'll get whacked. Grip it like a vise - no whack. Practice the "grip of death" and follow Retreever's advice - get a pair of those grip strengthening things that look like big clothespins and practice;
7. I don't practice the "brass grab" at the range anymore for just this reason;
8. Post a picture so we can see what you mean.

Again great to hear of the success and looking forward to hearing more

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Take along or borrow from your PH a soft case to house your rifle when it is in the rack.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
465:

I took a soft case. However, when walking several hours with the gun, it gets dusty.

Posts: 12104 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, way to go! The 500 is the best combination of weight and power in a DR, IMHO. Now if you take the "carry" out of the equation, the 577 naturally rules! :-)

PS: Dust comes off

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
For dust on lens I use bottled lens cleaner to flush all dust off lens then use lens cloth to wipe off lens. A dust brushing first will also remove major dust deposits.

Welcome home Larry.
Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Larry,

I just put a Trijicon Dual Illumination RMR sight on my Krieghoff:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...0101804/m/6841095081

I had the rifle at the range on Saturday. I really like this sight. I looks and feels more durable than the DO and there are no batteries to worry about. I worried about the size of the dot (7 MOA) and the brightness on the Trijicon. Neither were an issue at 25 and 50 yards. Not sure I would (should) be shooting my .500 at 100 yards in any event. Bottom line, I will see how it holds up and ensure that it can hold zero, but so far I think it is way forward. Like you, I always worry with the DO that the battery is going to fail at the worst possible time or that in replacing the battery I have to go back through the sighting in process again since zero has changed.

Congrats by the way on your trip.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have said it before; "Train as you Fight". If you do it at the range you will do it in the field and that brass catching thing is an example. I have a friend who always shoots very good groups at the range, from the bench and prides himself on developing accurate loads. However, he often misses in the field. Congratulations on your hunt, BTW.

Posts: 17288 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carl Frederik Nagell
posted Hide Post
Hi Larry

I don´t know if it is of any help, but did you see the pictures of how I hold my VC 500?
I dont do the "death grip" and I don´t whack my finger.
Regarding the discoloring in your chambers - I got the same in the muzzles. I think the metal being new is prone to oxidation until it gets saturated in oil.

Good Hunting

carl Frederik

Posts: 490 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I did note that a lot of dust got on the DO. I was concerned I might scratch it or otherwise mess it up. Does anyone have any recommendations on a safe way to clean it?

Thanks.

Forget those small paint brushes. Make a trip to Wal Mart and buy a thick "make up brush". Not only are they great for removing the dust off a lense but they do a good job removing dust on the instrument clusters of sport cars without scratching the plasticSmiler

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Catching brass is a BAD HABIT! I've said it over and over. Another reason ejectors are better than extractors. You still have to break the habit of catching the brass with ejectors. If you get used to letting them fly you will speed up reloads a lot.
Glad you had a good hunt! Yes the 500 is a great cartridge with the right bullets.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome back Larry. Looking forward to reading your report.Perhaps you can cover the DO with Saran wrap or some outher clingey wrap. When you get near your game you can remove it or worse case shoot with it on.(like a clear lens cap)
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I use this as well.

Another great trick is to roll up a couple of squares of toilet paper about pen thick or less & tear it in half. So you will have 2 pieces of toilet tissue rolled up with fuzzy frayed edges. us that as a brush very gently. It will pick up the smallest bit of dust.

I use this tissue method all the time in the bush. I learned it from a movie camera man in India more than 40 years ago when I was kid.

The photos are a sample of what it can look like. If you make a smaller roll & tear it twice, you will get a better effect!

Make sure you are gentle and DONOT rub the dust into the glass but just brush it away.

quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
For dust on lens I use bottled lens cleaner to flush all dust off lens then use lens cloth to wipe off lens. A dust brushing first will also remove major dust deposits.

Welcome home Larry.
Mike

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11245 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remember that one thing that makes fo good optiks are the coatings on the glass .The best have 4 coatings !!
The most important is NEVER to rub or use any force. I have a squeeze bulb with brush available at any photo store .First blow as much off as you can then use the brush .Anything else can be taken off with some liquid cleaner also from a photo store. Use paper made for that also
Keep your fingers off the lens ! Roll Eyes