Find
Notify
Tools

Krieghoff and Red Dot Sight
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
I would like to put a Trijicon RMR sight on my Krieghoff .500 NE. My Krieghoff has an insert on the rib of the barrel toward the breech that is secured with two screws as I recall. It looks to me like that is for some sort of mount. Does anyone know if that is in fact correct and if so what mount fits and where do you get one? Thanks.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Mike,
on my K-gun,I had that piece machined to accept the mount that comes with the dokter sight,I think you have that mount on your Heym if I remember correctly,it was a quick and easy job,my smith had it in & out in a short time.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Bal, no one makes a mount that attachs where the insert comes out, you have to have one made?

Mike

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I recommend the Docter 3.5 MOA. I had my gunsmith Machine a Mount to fit. These Pictures show the 1st version we tried using a Weaver Style base.
I felt sight was to high, so he machined the Base to fit the slot and drilled 2 mounting holes to match the exsisting tapped holes. This lowered the sight 1/4".
Very Happy with results.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Larry, thanks for the input. Do you happen to have any other pictures of the lower version of the mount? I agree, the first one looks too high.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Mike
I don't have any other pictures, but it is just the Generic mount for $20.00. We removed the clamp off the right side and then milled the bottom to fit the slot in the Rifle. Then driiled mounting holes.
If you contact Tapper2 here on AR I'm sure Tom can make you one.
Also the Docter 3.5 MOA sights are selling on e-bay for $225.00 + $12.00 shipping.
Let me know if I can help you get a mount?
Larry

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I am talking about the mount that JJ would install on a Heym,it's a quick detach design,very easy to adapt the rib for it,send me your mail addy & I'll send you some pics.

quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Bal, no one makes a mount that attachs where the insert comes out, you have to have one made?

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Mike: The mount that Trijicon has made for their RMRs requires that the rifle's rib be slotted on both sides and the mounting platform then fits over the slots and you tighten its grooved base into the slots. Ivan Carter did not have his Heym grooved and he had JJ groove his rib in order to use the RMR. My Searcy 450-400 and the new 375 Flanged that Butch is building for me both have the Talley mount system built into the quarter rib, and so I take advantage of that in attaching my RMR, as well as my scope. With that system I can attach the RMR in two places on the rib depending on where I want to sight from. Without grooves in your rifle rib you won't be able to use the recommended mounting platform and attach the RMR mounting platform to the rib. Hope that this helps explain the Trijicon mounting system a little better. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Someone that happened to have a Weaver mount that was milled to fit the Krieghoff slot on the rib that no longer needs the mount has generously offered to let me have it. I do not like the Trijicon set up with the Weaver adapter, it looks too high to me. The Trijicon with the Picatinny adapter (RM33) on the other hand looks much lower and seems to be about right. So I think I am going to try the Trijicon RMR Dual Illumination (no batteries) with the RM33 base. The RM33 base just has one lug on the bottom so the difference in spacing between the grooves (center-to-center) on a Weaver base and a Picatinny base should not be a problem. If the grooves on the Weaver base are too small (I understand that the groove width between a Weaver and a Picatinny mount is about .026" different with the Picatinny having larger grooves) I will just trim a little off the groove I want to use with a file to get the Trijicon base to fit in the groove. What am I missing here?

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I had my gunsmith use some weaver type bar stock, cut it to fit in the slot and drill it to fit the existing screw holes. On a Chapuis, BTW.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1929 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
You guys know that Krieghoff makes both scopes mounts and a see through red dot sight for their rifles right?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Yes, and you have to send your rifle to them, and the work costs $600+, . . .

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to put a Trijicon RMR sight on my Krieghoff .500 NE. My Krieghoff has an insert on the rib of the barrel toward the breech that is secured with two screws as I recall. It looks to me like that is for some sort of mount. Does anyone know if that is in fact correct and if so what mount fits and where do you get one?

I have this setup. It came with the rifle which I bought used from Hallowell's. The scope mount as stated above is a Talley I believe. I don't know about mounting a Doctor red dot.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Do a search here for Trijicon RMR on K-Gun by
Tetonka. I did this a couple of years ago on my K-Gun (a 450/400 NE 3in.) and it worked
very well. Pictures were included at the time.
Cost as I recall about $120 in gunsmithing.
I used the Dual Ill. RMR with the R33 mount for
Pitcatinny Rail. Sits lower on the rib. Milled a blank pitcatinny rail to fit the slot in the barrel, left it long in case I ever wanted to add a scope, think I will cut it down now as I don't feel a scope would help except in dark shadows. Krieghoff was never any help when I discussed this with them. I understand JJ at Champlin now has some bases that will work though I have never directly confirmed this.

Hope this helps.

Good Shooting and Hunting

Tetonka
DRSS

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I did do a search and saw that you had done this, but you deleted all the pictures. Frowner

That is exactly what I am doing except the base is a Weaver-style base that has already been milled to fit the slot on the Krieghoff. My Trijicon RMR Dual Ill should be here today or tomorrow and the base should be too. Then we will see how it goes together. The only issue should be the wider Picatinny lug on the mount versus the more narrow Weaver slot.

Does it all sit low enough on the rifle to allow you to shoot comfortably without having to hold your head higher on the stock?

Mike

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Look at my pictures. When I mounted the Docter sight on top of a Weaver Base, I did not like it as it was too high. When we milled the generic mount to fit the slot in the rib, it brought it down so my head is comfortable on the stock. A friend of mine did a similar job to mount one on his Chapuis and is happy with the results.
Just my .02 cents worth.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm having a 450/400 NE 3" built. I requested that the rib be dovetailed to accept the Trijicon RM57 mount (similar to what Heym is using).

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Sorry the pictures of my project are gone. I did not do that. Maybe time lapse and server space.
Anyway, the sight does NOT sit too high for my full face. I do not have any recoil issues with the 450/400 but can't speak for your 500.
I have never shot a .500 But I did shoot a .577
once and can assure you if the stock doesn't fit with the sight picture, you are going to get hammered.

Good luck with your project, Please post a picture when your done. Would love to see it,
may have to change mine. The Dual Ill RMR with the smallest dot (which I have) is 7 MOA.
This works fine on buffalo size animals out to
150 yds. Up close and personal with elephant,
you won't have a problem. I did notice in the extreme bright African sun, I had to put a
small piece of tape on top of the fiber optics to keep the orange dot from getting too much light and washing out in the sight picture. Lower light conditions it works just fine.

Good Luck on you project.

Tetonka

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I will definitely post an update. I can say that I am not excited about sighting the Trijicon RMR in at the range. May have to get the Lead Sled out for that. hilbily

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Mine lined up with only minor adjustment as the milled base was right on. The click adjustments are tiny and very small. Suggestion make a small mark where the original setting is located. Trijicon told me that the units were "centered" from the factory. At 50yds as I recall. I am unable to "hear" the clicks (bad ears) be careful and don't adjust too much. Trijicon also told me they could not make the orange dot any smaller as it would tend to disappear or wash out.

Have fun at the bench.

Tetonka
DRSS

Picture of gxsr-sarge
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I can't believe the coincidences..

I too am getting ready to have an RMR installed on my Krieghoff Dble 470NE for my next trip to Africa in April. Just yesterday I met with my gunsmith asking him whether he could machine the RM62 base (RMR Steel Block Mount for Custom Shaping) to fit into the existing slot in the rib. He obviously said that it wouldn't be a problem after a few hours of machining. He could even radius the underside to mate with the barrels if needed.

For this application, I'm not a big fan of weaver or rib-type "screw" mounts as I'm not sure how they would hold up to the recoil. I just don't want that in my head during a Buffalo hunt.

I get the RMR and the base in a few days and then it's off to the gunsmith. I'll post a few pics (if I can figure out how??) once it's done.

Posts: 1 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 28 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Update: The Weaver base that was sent to me from an AR friend fits the Krieghoff perfectly. Unfortunately, the Picatinny mount on the RMR unit will not fit the base. The problem is that the cross screws that tighten the Picatinny mount to the base actually act as additional lugs and have to fit in slots on the base. Since a Picatinny base has closer slot spacing than a Weaver, the base needs more slots (and wider slots). I think the solution is to have the top of the base milled to Picatinny slot spacing and slot width. That process will be initiated this week.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Update to the Update: Took the base and mount to Dustin Mounts. The spacing on the cross screws on the mount (the screws that you tighten to attach the mount to the base) lines up perfectly with the spacing on the base. In other words the Weaver spacing matches the cross screw spacing on the mount. So that just leaves the lug on the mount to address. They can mill out a small section of the base to match the lug, problem solved. Sounds like this is all going to work out fine.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
The finished product:

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Congrats Mike! tu2 You will love the RMR! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Job Mike, locks almost exactly like mine. The RMR only weighs about 2 ounces, my rib weighed 3.25 oz. So the whole thing does not change the balance or regulation of the gun.

Good Shooting

Tetonka
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, have you shot it yet? Interested in the perceived recoil. here is a picture of my K gun with scope. May be slightly lower than the red dot?

Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I have not shot it. I just dropped it off to be milled yesterday (and it was done this morning). I am going to pick it up tomorrow and will shoot it over the weekend. I have red dots on several other doubles and mounting one has never impacted regulation, balance, etc. I was worried about the height but yesterday in the shop we mounted it all the way on the end of the base (the last cross screw in the last groove) and the sight picture is just fine. I am not relishing sighting it in, but we will survive.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Here is mine.

Post #3

http://forums.accuratereloadin...521084551#7521084551

I made mine from steel weaver bar stock from Brownells.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Looks amazingly similar. I am anxious to see how the non-battery operated Trijicon Dual Illumination RMR sight works in practical environments. The 7 MOA amber dot did not seem too big just pointing around the house. At 50-100 yards I know it will be different though.

Mike