Find
Notify
Tools

Unusual double
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted
Hey gents, got a quick question. Has anyone heard of a Douglas 12-bore double rifle? I'm not quite sure I've heard of that one before. It was a underlever with double exposed hammers, about 23" barrels with a unusual rifling style (almost looked like that hexagonal rifling from long ago) and in okay condition, wasn't anything to make me to do a backflip other than it's a 12-bore. The guy was asking $5000 for it. Any ideas, comments? If it's a good deal I'm going to pick it up. Thanks!

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This sounds like a GREAT DEAL if the gun is original and has not been mechaniced on. ie: rechambered to 2 3/4 from 2 1/2 or something silly like that.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1229 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be sure it is really a rifle. I have seen similar ball and shot guns in 12 bore with sights that are similar. They have very shallow rifling such as you describe. Also, check the proof marks on the flats.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
23" barrels with a unusual rifling style

If it is an original bore gun, a lot of them were BP.

Therefore the 23" barrels sound far too short
so check they haven't been cut down.

The "Hex" rifling - are you referring to Henry type rifling in some DR's ?

If it is an original bore gun, it's good value at $5000.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
quote:
23" barrels with a unusual rifling style

If it is an original bore gun, a lot of them were BP.

Therefore the 23" barrels sound far too short
so check they haven't been cut down.

The "Hex" rifling - are you referring to Henry type rifling in some DR's ?

If it is an original bore gun, it's good value at $5000.

The rifleing he mentions is "METFORD polygon (7 sided)",or the "WHITWORTH 6 SIDED"! Both are fairly common in black powder BORE RIFLES!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac

Thanks - brain not functioning this morning !!!

23" barrels still a problem though IMHO.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you don't go for the hammer gun i have a Manton 12 bore hammerless with third fastener

it is 2 1/2" original chambers and has an " invisible type rifling". it can best be seen looking across the muzzle, not through the bore.

a slug driven down the bore will not re-enter unless lined up with the rifling. so even though it is difficult to see, it is there.

overall good shape action lost all case color & is in the white. no engraving nice wood $3,800

call me aat 814 774 5739 or write, tom

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey metalsmith

tell us the end of the story..... did you buy the gauge bore douglas rifle ?

if so, pics would be appreciated

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
Well here's the end of the story. I went back and told the dude to let me sleep over it than I'll come back in a week with my decision to buy it or not. After a long and tedious arguement, my wife and I decided that we're going to get a divorce. So right now I'm in a legal battle because originally we agreed that we weren't doing a pre-nup, because we trusted eachother. Big mistake on my part. After agreeing that if we were going to get a divorce, we'd leave with what we came with. Basically, I bought a apartment under my name, bought both the cars, bought all the household stuff, almost everything besides her damn clothes. She comes back from Iraq and wants the apartment and household stuff (Furniture, kitchen equipment, etc.) and the car I bought for her. So right now I'm trying to find a good lawyer to cover my ass if she's going to try that shady shit. Plus, come to find out yesterday, she lied to me the whole 7 monthes she was there!
As you can tell, I'm a bit angry about all of this and quite frankly, don't think I'll be buying any new firearms for a little while until all this BS is settled.

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry to hear of your unpleasant surprise.

get a good lawyer, and best of luck , from one who has been there !

TOMO577