New
Find
Notify
Tools

45-100 Project Started!
 Login/Join

<xs headspace>
posted
Prepped the breech from a 1970 Merkel 12 ga, and a 458 cheapo Adams and Bennett barrel is on the lathe now. Only about 10 thou wobble in the middle of the barrel....oh, well, regulating will be lotsa fun.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
good luck!! this is a fun project...

i will still suggest the 45-120!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mark Baker
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Just noticed the message on this subject. Haven't been on-line for a while.

Sounds like a double rifle in 45-100 "nitro"?

This has been done before in Belgium, and it is called the 45-70 Elko Magnum. I have a sidelock double rifle in that caliber, and is hard hitting, but managable. My Elko Mag is regulated for the 500 grain slug at 1950-2000 fps. Like a flanged 458 Win Mag.

http://thesecondshot.com/Photos.html

I have some photos posted at the bottom of this page on my web site. I know the site is in sad shape, and in need of updating with guns for sale!

Let me know what loads you want to do with it. I am currently working on loads and will shoot when the weather gets better. As of March 31 today it is snowing like an "S.O.B."

I use starline 2.6" brass for the loads. I have not found any luck with reloading data, or factory loads. I am proceeding with caution!

Take care and I'll try to be on the computer more.

Mark

Posts: 51 | Location: N.W. Wisconsin | Registered: 23 June 2005Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
The barrels are threaded, and slimmed down a bit, now. Trim to length, and rough chambering tonite. Looks like it will be right around 9 lbs, with all the parts, and 24" bbrls. Thinking of doing 23" bbrls. I was planning on using the 458 mag starting loads in the Hornady handbook--like 30-35,000 psi pressures, but my 2.6" case should be less pressure. Oh, yeah, put a recoil pad on the stock this weekend, too.

<xs headspace>
posted
Nice April Fools Joke, Saeed!!(I hope) 1000 euros? What's that in real money? Hee hee.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
$1450 USD

my loads for "45-120 nitro" are on ammoguide

476AR,

<xs headspace>
posted
Currently shaping the 1/4 rib. The loads I plan on trying are with the 350 gr Round nose, and a 400 gr at most-either the Rem 405 or my paper patched 405 gr Hollow Base Lee(I run them thru a .452" sizer, and patch with 8 lb onionskin, soaked with Lee liquid alox-shoots 1 1/2" in my Marlin 45-70 at 1850 fps).

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Baker:
Hi,

Just noticed the message on this subject. Haven't been on-line for a while.

Sounds like a double rifle in 45-100 "nitro"?

This has been done before in Belgium, and it is called the 45-70 Elko Magnum. I have a sidelock double rifle in that caliber, and is hard hitting, but managable. My Elko Mag is regulated for the 500 grain slug at 1950-2000 fps. Like a flanged 458 Win Mag.

http://thesecondshot.com/Photos.html

I have some photos posted at the bottom of this page on my web site. I know the site is in sad shape, and in need of updating with guns for sale!

Let me know what loads you want to do with it. I am currently working on loads and will shoot when the weather gets better. As of March 31 today it is snowing like an "S.O.B."

I use starline 2.6" brass for the loads. I have not found any luck with reloading data, or factory loads. I am proceeding with caution!

Take care and I'll try to be on the computer more.

Mark

Mark I have a double rifle chambered for a wildcat, by Fred Huntington, called 458RCBS, and it is simply a 45-100 with heavier loads, in a 2.75" case! My regulating load is 65.0 grs of IMR 4064 with LR primers, with a 400 gr bullet. That load is for the 500 gr Hronady RN bullet, in a NEW Remington rolling block replica rifle, it was mild yealding 1857 fps but in a much stronger rifle than any double rifle. I have used that load with a 480 gr Woodliegh soft point, but it didn't regulate as well in my rifle, but showed no pressure sign!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mark Baker
posted Hide Post
Thanks,

Some people go off their tree when you post loads, so I didn't.

My load in the 2.6 case with a 500 grain Hornady is at 61 grain of RL15. Runs about 1750 fps. Not quite fast enough yet to regulate properly.

RL15 is similar to 4064, if I'm correct.

What type of double do you have, and was it converted from something else?

Still not really nice here yet and I'm having a Silvers pad put on it now. Hope to do some shooting in May.

Mark

Posts: 51 | Location: N.W. Wisconsin | Registered: 23 June 2005Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
So what does the 65 gr of 4064 give you with the 400 gr in the 458 RCBS? I was thinking of 3031, since 52-53 gr in the 45-70 gives me the 1850 fps with the paper patch 405 gr. Elmer K's favorite elk load, BTW. Are any loads posted for the 458 RCBS??

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Ken Waters has the 458 RCBS listed in his book of reloads, Pet Loads Vol 2
He runs a 400 up to 2100fps and a 500 up to 1934fps.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
Don't have the Waters book---what's the load for the 400 gr at 2100??
Just lucked out making my 1/4 rib---found that Ruger rings will fit on my rib stock, just by milling side grooves in the rib, with 1/4" recesses on the top.

<xs headspace>
posted
Barrels soldered into the monoblock last night-now to do extractor, file breech and fit, and ream the last 1/4" of the chambers. Damn, this is fun!! Laid the 1/4 rib on, with an old 2 1/2 power scope in Ruger rings clamped on, and the bores are pointing about 1" below the crosshairs at 30 feet across the shop! Anybody tried the laser boresighters for initial regulation???

<xs headspace>
posted
Hooo, boy! Fired two test(not proof-65 gr RL 7 with 350 gr RN) loads into the sandbank behind my shop from the rifle tied down on a garden cart. Decided that if the muzzle was 1 ft away from the sandbank, it would muffle the sound. Wife complained that crap was falling from the sky onto her greenhouse(polycarbonate, thankfully), 50 ft in front of my shop. Hole the size of a basketball in the bank, action still tight! Fired one load off the shoulder, decided that the 9 1/2 lb weight was not too heavy after all. Regulation and proofing next.

<xs headspace>
posted
Took the double to a local range with 12 rounds of 65 gr RL7 and 350 gr RNs. After grinding down the sling swivel block, and shimming the muzzle block, I got the last 2 rounds to hit 1" apart at 25 yds. Old 2 1/2X Bushnell in the scope mts. I love my rechargable Dremel! After laser boresighting the two barrels to cross at 20 yds, the first 2 real life shots were 18" apart, crossing. Gotta chrono these--should be about 2400 fps. The locals were really impressed with the 2 hose clamps around the barrels, at the 2 spacer blocks. Will try to post photos here soon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any chances of seeing some pics of this project?

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
Well, the last time I tried to post photos, I "was not allowed" Here goes another try. I'll omit the rough 25 yd regulation target, with the picture of Osama with a Third Eye from the last round I had with me.

<xs headspace>
posted
Message from God came today at the range, where I was playing with the regulation! After 4 reloads, one of my Starline cases showed a partial head separation. Realized that 65 gr of RL7 behind a 350 gr RN must be springing the action enough to stretch the cases. Action still is tight, and on face, but the front part of the case expands, and the base comes about .005" back, seems to be what is happening upon firing. Measured my fired cases and one batch was .020" longer, and I can feel the thin spot with a dental pick at the web. Other cases were also longer, but in .005" increments, less than .020". Some were only fired 2X. Time to back off, and try 60-62 gr.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
XS,
I would REALLY have threaded at 1east 2" of the barrels... with a froghair fine pitch... i use a 28 or 32 TPI for that, as it seriously increases surface area and mating strength.

read my lips.. rl7 is the WRONG powder, it's way too fast and way too spiky on pressure... rl22 or 25 .. no sh!t!!!

476AR,

<xs headspace>
posted
Thanks for the powder advice--I have a can of RL22 on hand. Speer lists 62 gr of RL7 with a 400 gr as being a 35Kpsi 45-70 load, so I figured I was safe. Must bring chrono to range. My 14 tpi area is about the same as you get with a M98 barrel, plus the sweated part, so the threads are not the weak link. I have noticed that the Greener bolt shows no contact marks on the rib extension, so there might be a gap there, allowing some .005" of spring. Might have to tig it and fit it....

<xs headspace>
posted
Tried 3031--62-61 gr with the 350 gr, and we are making progress! No case stretch. I have 2 set screws in my front block, a la Merkel, bearing on the left barrel at 45 deg angles, so I can move the barrel separation. My last target at 75 yds:

<xs headspace>
posted
Loaded up some 400 gr Speers, seated long, and discovered that the throat is way short on the chambering reamer I used. The chamber drawing I found on the 458 Win mag has a throat about 1" long, so the short throat is part of my pressure problem. Ground a throating reamer with a long taper, and will test the 400 gr loads after work today. Now the 400 gr is freebored, so the bullet is almost out of the neck when it hits the rifling-not an accuracy type throat, but good for pressures. Will chrony these, if it doesn't rain. Got my boiling tank set up for rust bluing--- if the regulation is OK, will solder ribs and blue this weekend.

<xs headspace>
posted
Dayum! My regulating screws work, but I still can't get the 400 gr past 2000 fps without a .005" stretch of the case. Used 72.5 gr Varget for 2090 fps, but stretched the case. 71 gr Varget gives me 1940 fps, and I can regulate to a figure 8 hole at 25 yds, left barrel on top, rt on bottom. Anybody got a load for R22 and a 400 gr for this? 4064 is slower or faster than Varget? Will look that up.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Making good progress...
you know you are going good when you are happy with the results.

i will tell you AGAIN Smiler
run a 45-120 reamer in that thing and then rework your loads.. no, really
jeffe

476AR,

<xs headspace>
posted
I'm beginning to think that you may be somewhat more knowledgeable in these matters....and I have a 45-120 reamer. So where can I find loads for this Panatella of a cartridge???

<xs headspace>
posted
Nobody gots 45-120 data? Oh, well, I found that 82 gr of H4350 and the 400 gr Speer gives me 2100 fps in the 45-100, with no case stretch, and the regulating screws bring me within 2" at 30 yds, so I'm soldering on the ribs, and front sight block next. Left barrel floats against the regulating screws for the last 10" or so, ribs soldered only to the right barrel, and front sight block.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Howdy..
I have entered a bit on ammoguide as the 45-120 nitro loadings.

476AR,

<xs headspace>
posted
Wow, what a sport! So I should pay $18 to find out?? 45-100 load development continues.....so much for sharing info on this forum, I guess.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can fin some on the Hodgdon website, and I have some more data for loads that do not require a filler on my computer at home, I'd happily send it to you but I won't be home until the 18th of this month.
There isn't much variation on the Hodgdon loads around so far anyway, check that out.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Sorry..
Hey, PM me, asking for HOT 45-120 loads, and I'll send them to you...

476AR,

<xs headspace>
posted
Well, I'm getting 2100 fps with the 400, and 2250 fps with the 350 now. IMR6064 seems to be nice for the 350, no case stretch at 74 grains. My shoulder says that's fast enough, but that's from a semi-standing bench. Ribs soldered Friday, cleaned up, and 3 coats of rust blue cooked nicely yesterday in 97 deg weather! One more coat, I think. Using Schreiber's Barrel Brown and Degreaser, but boiling between coats, to get the satin blue.

<xs headspace>
posted
Heeeerr's Johnny!
Anybody got a surefire formula to cover up the edges of the solder lines at the rib bases???

<xs headspace>
posted
Here's the missing photo--
Quarter rib is machined for Ruger scope bases, and the express sight has a real 14 caret gold line--from one of dad's tie tacks. Since I only own one tie, I don't need 5 tie tacks....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
xs, nicely done should be fun this fall.

Posts: 1293 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote