Find
Notify
Tools

Best BANG for the buck
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Clem
posted
Of all the double rifles available today - new, used, custom built - what is the best value available? By value I'm speaking from the perspective of a person of average means seeking a 'working gun' that is reliable, accurate and dependable.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clem
I think the BEST double rifle for a person to have would be an original British Double in either 450/400 3 1/4" or 450/400 3".
If you are only going to have one double, this is the one to have IMHO.
It will be kind of hard to fine the right one. One in great shape that fits you and shoots good. It is well worth the trouble however.
A used British double will not only hold its value but will increase with price as time goes on.
No double handles as well as a British double that fits you.
The 450/400 is a GREAT calibre. Fully powerful enough for ANY African game, yet is not too much for regular hunting of other large game, such as moose bears and elk, but also, especially with 300 grain bullets, great for deer and wild pigs.

Second on the list MIGHT be Searcy's new smaller action in 450/400. I hope he has one I can look at and handle at DSC.

If you want a double rifle mostly for North America, with maybe a buff in Africa now and then a Chapuis in 9,3x74R would be hard to beat. I have been using one for several years and like it quite well.
It and my 450 No2 are going back to Zim for a second time in March, 2006.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Clem:

Brit rifles are in a class of their own, but many of the ones on the market these days need to be looked over in GREAT detail by a professional, like JJ at Champlins. Guys and get really burned on an older Brit gun if they do not know what to look for.

However, for a damn solid working gun for an American hunter on a budget, it is hard to beat a Searcy.

Why?

He builds strong, ACCURATE working guns for the common man. He stands behind his product 100%. If something isn't right or breaks, he fixes it for no cost. If you have questions, you speak to Butch, not a sales representitive.

You have a gun that is built for you. It is built to your measurements. It will fit you.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
A double rifle is a good value ONLY if it fits you and if it is suitably accurate. They should come to the shoulder and point quickly like a shotgun. I had an old Ingram double that fit me poorly and it took me longer to get a shot off with it than I could stand. My Searcy fit me well and would hold 4 shots in a 2" group @ 50 yds...I just didn't like the recoil of a 470. If I get another it will be a 450/400 3" from Butch OR another make and it will be restocked to fit me.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I preference this by saying that I love Old English double rifles. I own one!

The best bang for the buck is a NIB New Model Searcy in 450/400 3 inch.
For around 12K you get proper 26" barrels that you don't have to worry about pressure curves. If I were to buy a brand new rifle tomorrow it would be a Searcy 450/400 3 inch. I'd ask Butch for .408 caliber barrel.

Just my opine!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're looking for big game rifles and have big money to spend, the Brit rifles and for substantially less money the Searcy's are fantastic. The Austrians and the Italians also make very nice double rifles in "elephant" calibres.

If you don't mind an U/O and if you want a rifle for deer etc, CDNN Investments are offering a Rizzini U/O in 30-06, 308 or 223 with a set of 12 2/34" shotgun barrels for $ 2300.

Good hunting!

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I think a used Ferlach guns are the most bang for the buck. If you search around you can find a Fanjoz or J.Just, or a guild gun for around 9,000 to 11,000 and build quilty will be first rate. I like Searcys, but pick up a Fanjoz their is a difference.

just my 2 cents

505ED

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
The best bang for the buck is a NIB New Model Searcy in 450/400 3 inch.
For around 12K you get proper 26" barrels that you don't have to worry about pressure curves. If I were to buy a brand new rifle tomorrow it would be a Searcy 450/400 3 inch. I'd ask Butch for .408 caliber barrel.

Rusty, your at SCI this weekend, right? If your've seen it, can you give us some intel on Butch's new classic rifle? I want to take a closer look at that at DSC next week.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mehulkamdar:
If you're looking for big game rifles and have big money to spend, the Brit rifles and for substantially less money the Searcy's are fantastic. The Austrians and the Italians also make very nice double rifles in "elephant" calibres.

If you don't mind an U/O and if you want a rifle for deer etc, CDNN Investments are offering a Rizzini U/O in 30-06, 308 or 223 with a set of 12 2/34" shotgun barrels for $ 2300.

Good hunting!

I cant find rifles anywhere on that website.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Jrrod,

Go to download newest catalog, click on it and it will take a few min. to download, then just scroll down. They are pretty good people to deal with.

505ED

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505ED:
Jrrod,

Go to download newest catalog, click on it and it will take a few min. to download, then just scroll down. They are pretty good people to deal with.

505ED

Ok thanks

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I did not make SCI due to the illness of my mother-in-law. I will be in Dallas and, will like the rest of us, be ogling the new and old doubles.

A member of our forum is the latest to order the "new" model with two sets of barrels.
I'll let him tell y'all all about it!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Update:
I handled a Searcy Classic in 450/400 3" at DSC. Very nice, the best rifle Butch has ever made.
Also the Chapuis 450/400 3" from Evolution USA.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
At the Houston Safari Club Convention at Euro Guns, 400NitroExpress, BobC and I saw a nice Chapuis 9.3X64R for less than 7K.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!