New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whats your thoughts
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
on the Blaser S2 safari and the 500/416 caliber?

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Like most any German engineering, it works. The performance of a 400 grain .416 bullet at 2300 fps+ is long proven, but as for me, I just can't get by the rubber gasket-thing between the barrels and the kinda garishness of the look (maybe difference in the look would be fairer).

I know some folks dearly love theirs. If you like the appearance, the price is right, the caliber is a killer and the company ain't going anywhere for a while so warranties/repairs are available. That stuff counts.

Too bad that no one else chambers for the .500/.416.... at least of whom I'm aware.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
kriegoff chamber for the 416/500 they invented it.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
butch searcy and westley richards and holland and holland and any toher majour manufacture of doubles also chamber it.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ART ALPHIN of the A-SQUARE COMPANY claims to have created the 500/416 in his reloading and rifle manual.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Forgive me. You are right about the other folks so chambering. I had a brain fart and was thinking about others chambering for the Rigby. Butch will build you a .500/.416, but I think your find he will try to talk you out of it... at least he did with me. He built me a .470 and is now making me a .450/.400.

The rest of the comments about the S2 still stand.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
To prove how little I know go to this site and see something headstamped the .416 Chapuis???

Is this the .500/.416?

Maybe A-Square did develop the round??

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was looking for a DR I ran across a Krieghoff in this caliber. I had seen a note on the Chapuis web site that they offered a .416 caliber so I dropped them a note. They sent me the chamber drawings.

Kreighoff verified that the drawings also represented the reamers they use.

I note with interest that the cartidge in your link doesn't look like the drawing they sent me.

Drawing sent by Chapuis is located here:

500-416 Drawing

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote