posted
Hey Folks!
When was the "Dolls head" invented?

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jens,

Awaiting the more knowledgeable, I did some looking around. Burrard in the Modern Shotgun (my edition is 1961 but he wrote in the 30s as I recall) explains, "The simplest of all top extensions is that known as the doll's head, which is merely a circular swelling at the end of the extension which fits into a corresponding recess in the top of the action. The doll's head was one of the earliest patterns of top extension, being evolved by Messrs. Westley Richards. It is made in numerous variations, but Fig. 17 shows a typical form of a simple doll's head.
In spite of its age and simplicity, it is one of the most efficient of all top extensions, although it does not appear to be very popular in its simple form, being generally reinforced by the addition of some sort of bolt. The only reason that I can see for its apparent unpopularity is that the principles of its action are not understood, either by sportsmen or numbers of gunmakers."

Greener's The Gun and its Development, identifies Westley Richards with an 1862 patent that seems to be the origin of top extensions. Greener is among those who maintain that the doll's head is of little use unless tightly held against the action.

Purdey and Holland & Holland do not use a top extension, rather a "treble grip" that was a Purdey patent of the late 1880s which H&H uses to this day, at least in their double rifles.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1320 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tim! dancing

You are a winner patriot

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
My 1910 Manton 470 NE has a dolls head so I think it would be before that Smiler

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
As stated above Westley Richards is the holder of the first patent on a doll's head top locking system. It is one of the most used top locks till around 1900, and by lots of makers after 1900. The so-called greener cross bolt took over as the most used after that. H&H uses the hidden third fastener or rib extention.

Many say the doll's head is not effective at all, but IMO, that is because they simply do not understand how it works. The misconception is not limited to the novice, but many well read people also believe this to one degree or another. Properly fitted, the doll's head fastener, is one of the best third fasteners ever. The doll's head must be fitted properly however, otherwise it is useless, much like most componants of double rifle design.

For instance, the hidden extention is useless to negate forward movement, and only guards against upward movement, which is the most often tendancey. The Doll's head guards against forward movement better that the hidden rib extention, but less efficient to avoid upward movement. With the addtion of a bar in bite, or Screw grip, it becomes far better than the hidden extention only.

The doll's head being very time consuming to fit properly the greener cross bolt took it's place to a great extent after 1900. The cross bolt rib extention is easier to fit well, and it, like most changes to a treditional fixtures, is downgraded by most so-called experts. The cross bolt if properly fitted, and engineered, is very efective in a tight locking system. Most think the cross bolt is simply a pin that is placed at a 90 deg through the hole in the extention, and this is not true. The pin enters the hole in a slightly upward movement, and the pin is not really cylinderical, but tapered, as well. As the pin come to battery, it pulls the extention back, and down a microscopic amount holding it down, and back. Of course here too is a need for proper fitteing or all benefit is lost, as it is for any type of fitting on a double rifle. If it is not well fitted in every place that is critical, then the proper fittings are compromised to some extent.

IMO, most of the opposition to any change in double rifles, as somehow, inferior, is nothing more that an allegiance to tredition, and a refusal to accept anything new! This is the place where new is not an indication of better, but if truely "NEW AND IMPROVED" it is silly to avoid it's use! That is only an indication of a hard head, not knowledge! thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking thru my libery I found a book called:" English Sporting Guns and accesories"(1969) by McDonald Hatings on page 61 is a 1874 Lancaster shotgun with the then new Needhams patent ejector system....and that gun also has Dolls head...but ofcouse, that particular illustrated gun could have been made in 1898.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
without question the purdey third bite is the best for double rifles.

the toplever shaft has a cut in it to engage the extension which comes out between the extractors /ejectors.

when opened, the third bite is flush with the extractors so does NOT get in the way of rapid reloading as do the dolls head and worse, the greener crossbolt which not only gets in the way but its sharp edges can cut your fingers.

rarely does a greener crossbolt engage anything ! smoke one and see where it scrapes..... IT DOESN'T !

it looks good and reassures the customer but does little else.

it is an interesting observation that only the germans and austrians use greener crossbolts.

i guess the english makers figured out long ago it looked like it might help, but it doesn't.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Jones underlever best, with two bites.A cam locking mechanism is stronger than any lever without pressure. Regarding the dolls head, Westley first used the top lever for their "crab joint" rifles. The dolls head was the ONLY locking on the gun and I have never seen one shot loose. When a dolls head has a cammed lever against it as the crab joint or Westleys toplever, strength is inherent.
JZ