THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    HEYM 26B - 45/70 with Photos
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HEYM 26B - 45/70 with Photos
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted
We're building a HEYM 26B o/u in 45/70 for the Safari shows in January, and I'm wondering what to have it regulated with (I'm just not that familiar with the offerings.)

1) This is a North American deer, pig, etc... rifle. It is not intended to be a substitute for a 450 NE.

2) The rifle will only weigh about 6.5 pounds. So we want to be mindful of excessive recoil.

What do you recommend?

Here's the wood blank.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I really like the LeveRevelution 325 grain by Hornady. It is on the higher side of pressures in factory loads and I don't know if that is a consideration for the proposed double, but in a 7 lb 3 oz. Ruger no.1 I find the accuracy great and the recoil of no consequense. It is readily available, inexpensive and capable, at least in my experience, to take most any animal on this continent.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just my two cents :

Corbon DPX : You can use it anywhere in the" USA ", as a Factory loaded, Lead Free Bullet.

" CORBON DPX 45-70 Govt 300gr
When hunting wild game, from Coyotes to Cape Buffalo, DPX has a load to handle them all. Choose DPX Hunter not just becasue it's a lead free hunting load. Choose it because it's the best hunting ammo on the market today. Being lead free is just an added bonus! "

http://www.shopcorbon.com/DPX-...70300-20/400/Product

PAPI

Posts: 432 | Location: California | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes , the Corbon DPX is my personal choice too. Recoil no problem ,performance excellent ,accuracy excellent ! Yes I just did get another deer with it .300 lb ,completely through both shoulders bones and all at 100 yds.
BTW for those who aren't familiar with 300gr loads , Winchester had one back 100 years ago , still works well. Big Grin

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I don't know that the Corbon is CIP approved.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
How can it not be if they advertise their 'Expedition Hunter' line with all the African DG ammo ? Email them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My brother, my brother in law and I have shot a fair amount of deer and pigs with the 45/70.

My recomendations to New Guy, for the Heym 26B 45/70 was the following.

For Lower Recoil the Federal factory 300gr HP.
This is a great deer and pig load, and some black bear have been killed with it as well.

However the Hornady Lever Evolution 325 gr load has been used by my Borther in Law on deer and pigs and it works great, and is very accurate.

I have helped him process deer and pigs and we have yet to recover a bullet.
I would not hesitate to use this load on black bear or elk in thick cover.

I have a Heym 26B in 30/30 and it has become one of my most favorite hunting guns. It is so light and handy, and very accurate.

Its QD scope mount goes on and off and maintains zero 100%.

I have killed several deer, pigs, turkeys, and 3 coyotes with it, one coyote at 166 yards.

A 26B in 45/70 will be a very good hunting gun, IMHO.

And they are also avialable in 9,3x74R.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Regardless of what you choose, New Guy, I can't wait to hold it in Dallas.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris, that wood is a screamer. Maybe I should put a hold on it for my 577 Heym Jumbo? :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
I really like the LeveRevelution 325 grain by Hornady. It is on the higher side of pressures in factory loads and I don't know if that is a consideration for the proposed double, but in a 7 lb 3 oz. Ruger no.1 I find the accuracy great and the recoil of no consequense. It is readily available, inexpensive and capable, at least in my experience, to take most any animal on this continent.

+1
I use this ammo in my Marlin lever action guide rifle, and it clover leafs 3 shots at 100 yards. Every whitetail deer I have shot with this load has been knocked off its' feet! I have not found any better factory 45/70 ammo for North America.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
As a reloader, do you think it will be difficult to reproduce the LeveRevolution ballistics?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
As a reloader, do you think it will be difficult to reproduce the LeveRevolution ballistics?

No - all the components are readily avialable.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the LeveRevelution 325 grain by Hornady. I shoot it in my guide gun.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
www.heymusa.com

" IF ", your going to reload .. Why not test a few other premium bullets currently made .. ?

.458 300GR ESP RAPTOR
https://cuttingedgebullets.com...&key=ESP_S300_RAPTOR

Lots of loads & testing, already done on " Big Bore Forum / Terminal Bullet Performance.
( for use in Marlin Lever Action & Double Rifles )

PAPI

One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
I've used the Leverevolution bullets in my Sabatti 45-70 since I bought the gun 2 years ago. The factory ammo shoots pretty good and is around $30 a box. I've always been able to buy boxes of ammo for it and the reloading components are stocked on shelves 99% of the time.

I've taken deer the last 2 years with the 45-70 double rile and love it.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I would not regulate it for a "designer" bullet. They come & go then you are stuck with a rifle regulated for a bullet that no exist.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
Even though the Leverevolution may be a designer bullet, I think that it's going to be around for a while. I've also handloaded 300 grain Hornady bullets and my Sabatti shoots better than factory ammo. I just like the ease of the factory loads.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
l have a 45-70 coming shortly. l was told it is regulated with Hornady 325FTX. Affordable and readily available.
Figures from Hornady web site. Should be easy to duplicate.

Test Barrel (24") Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)

MUZZLE - 2050/3032
100 - 1729/2158
200 - 1450/1516
300 - 1225/1083

Trajectory (inches)
MUZZLE -1.50
100 - 3.00
200 - -4.10

Cheers
Jack

Posts: 80 | Location: Queensland. Oz | Registered: 08 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris,
Hodgdon and Hornady have teamed up and now offer leverevolution powder, and I know that the 325gr FTX bullets are pretty plentiful, so matching factory ballistics should be pretty easy.

- Ryan

DRSS
NRA Life Member
.500 NE Sabatti

Posts: 40 | Location: Boulder City, NV | Registered: 19 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I would want it regulated with 400gr JSP FN bullet moving around 1600fps or Remington factory 405gr ammo.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't 400gr get a little punchy in such a light rifle?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I don't think so, if the loads are 45-70 loads and not ".458 Win Mag Flanged" loads. I have shot a lot of 45-70 (still do) and currently have an 1895 Marlin, Win 1886 and a couple of Shiloh Sharps in the cartridge.

I believe the cartridge shines the most with 400gr or more bullets at moderate velocities. The lighter (shorter) bullets are fine for most shots on game but then again so is a .243. A lot of people swear by leverevolution bullet. It seems to shoot well in the platforms it was designed for (newer Marlins) but is hit or miss in most others.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I would think you would want it regulated for one of the most commonly used and available loads. The old standards are a 300gr load or a 405gr load. Sure, the gun could be factory regulated for an exotic or custom load but I think that would actually limit options. Having a gun regulated for factory loads has its advantages. And, if one is willing to work up a custom load then, in addition to the factory loads, one can handload his own special regulating loads. People should not expect a 45-70 double rifle to deliver 450NE ballistics.

Of the "standard" loads I think the 300gr jacketed hollow point would be a good choice. It doesn't go fast but it plows through anything you shoot with it. Recoil is mild and the gun could be made relatively light and handy. This load would cover everything from hogs to deer to elk to bear and make a very nice 150-200yd rifle. The 405gr Remington load would also be a good choice, though a bit anemic.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lots of loads & testing, already done on " Big Bore Forum / Terminal Bullet Performance.
( for use in Marlin Lever Action & Double Rifles )

I was unable to locate the below link, at the time of my last post homer

http://www.b-mriflesandcartrid...45-70-Terminals.html

PAPI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems like there's merit to regulating this for the standard factory 405's. They are rather pleasant recoil-wise and very suitable for whitetail and/or black bear which is what I imagine this rifle and it's weight are meant for.

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 343 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The "modern" 45/70 load with a 300gr bullet at 1800 to 1850fps [actualy the original 45/90 Express load], is a very good load for deer/pigs, and black bear or elk with a good bullet.

Back in my Ruger No1 days I killed several deer with this type load. I only recovered one bullet, and this was ahot into a deer at around 40 yards facing me. All others were complete pass throughs.

My brother and brother in law still hunt with the 45/70, and they have shot several deer and pigs and one big black bear, with 300 gr bullets, and the 325 Lever Evolution and 350gr Hornady bullets in handloads, and the results are always the same as I got.

I cannot say that one bullet has killed game better than any other.
The 300gr Factory ammo, or factory equivelent handloads, with 300gr bullets, have killed game as good as the 325, 350, and 400gr bullets I have used.
You better have a sharp knife with you, as when you shoot, "some gutting and skinning" will need to be done.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Looks like if we're going to get the rifle before DSC, then it has to be Hornady 325 FTX.

That's what is available today in Germany.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
The 26B 45-70 just arrived.

Regulation ammo is 325gr Hornady Leverevolution.

Scope is 1-4 Trijicon.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Chris, what's up with the safety - is it a cocking lever?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Yes, the 26B has the manual-cocking type safety. It also has extractors.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of 460 wby shooter
posted Hide Post
Can you give us the info on the jaeger or not?

Posts: 817 | Location: jimtown ND | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
That's a nice rifle and set up Chris. From our hunt together back in April in Utah, you know I like the Trijicon on appropriate doubles. You should have a home run with this one!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What sort of price range are we looking at in today's market for one of these?

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
That's a nice rifle and set up Chris. From our hunt together back in April in Utah, you know I like the Trijicon on appropriate doubles. You should have a home run with this one!

Thanks, Todd. I think it could be a perfect "bear over bait" rifle.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sid Post:
What sort of price range are we looking at in today's market for one of these?

The normal calibers are $5500. The 45-70 will run a bit more at around $6000.

PS - the wood shown on this one would be at an extra cost.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

Thanks, Todd. I think it could be a perfect "bear over bait" rifle.

No doubt about it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe a dumb question, but why not move the rear sight back a bit - still allowing for scope mounting - to give a little more sight radius?

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Not a bad question. These rifles are made for driven shooting in Europe.

The shorter sight arrangement makes for faster sight acquisition for running game at short distances.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
I would think you would want it regulated for one of the most commonly used and available loads. The old standards are a 300gr load or a 405gr load. Sure, the gun could be factory regulated for an exotic or custom load but I think that would actually limit options. Having a gun regulated for factory loads has its advantages. And, if one is willing to work up a custom load then, in addition to the factory loads, one can handload his own special regulating loads. People should not expect a 45-70 double rifle to deliver 450NE ballistics.

Of the "standard" loads I think the 300gr jacketed hollow point would be a good choice. It doesn't go fast but it plows through anything you shoot with it. Recoil is mild and the gun could be made relatively light and handy. This load would cover everything from hogs to deer to elk to bear and make a very nice 150-200yd rifle. The 405gr Remington load would also be a good choice, though a bit anemic.

HEYM will regulate for commonly available factory loads- so if you wanted the Remington 405 load or the Federal 300 --it could be done

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
I've not ventured into the O/U world of rifles but have to admit the rifle & caliber choice is interesting. I think I like my Heym 450/400 SxS combo enough to forego yet another rifle purchase. It is a pig and whitetail whacking machine!

Look forward to seeing you at the show.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote